Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed my brother is getting evicted

Options
  • 23-06-2015 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭

Hi all my brother lives in a bedsit in cabra and he is an alcoholic in his 40's. The lads he lives in the same building he is in(it's a big house divided into flats) have had enough of him as has the landlord and he has been given 2 weeks to leave.
    Infact all my family have had enough of him but family's family and all that and I don't want him turning up at my door when he is turfed out.

All that aside he is getting rent allowance but can't get another place as everyone wants professionals and no rent allowance on top of the shortage of properties at the moment.

I know a lot of people are having similar issues so maybe someone knows what are his options?

Can he buy a mobile home and live in it on a site in donabate or portrane or somewhere like that and still get his dole? That's just a thought I had.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

No offence but how on earth is an unemployed alcoholic going to be able to a purchase a static home, a site, and all that such an undertaking would involve such as planning permission etc.

perhaps you could investigate the possibility of institutional care for your brother, it might help him to get off the drink?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

No offence but how on earth is an unemployed alcoholic going to be able to a purchase a static home, a site, and all that such an undertaking would involve such as planning permission etc.

perhaps you could investigate the possibility of institutional care for your brother, it might help him to get off the drink?

The mobile home thing was just an idea. We would buy a cheap one for him and I've seen people living on sites in portrane for about €1100 a year. It's more of a holiday home site but with permanent tennants.

We have tried getting him help but he needs to stay sober for a while and we can't make him do that unfortunately, believe me we have tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

The notice period seems very short, but there may well be a back story. He needs to get onto the Council and present as homeless. They will probably offer him emergency accommodation. You could contact Simon, www.Simon.ie to discuss what options he has, and how or if you can help.

I'd imagine the owner of the site would more than likely refuse if they become aware of your brother's circumstances.

You could look into hostel accommodation. Or perhaps convince him to sign in to the likes of Aiseiri?

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

iamtony wrote: »
    The mobile home thing was just an idea. We would buy a cheap one for him and I've seen people living on sites in portrane for about €1100 a year. It's more of a holiday home site but with permanent tennants.

We have tried getting him help but he needs to stay sober for a while and we can't make him do that unfortunately, believe me we have tried.

Awful situation to be in, but a mobile home isn't the answer.

Institutional care is the best you can hope for. You and him.

If you tried hard last time to get him in then double your endeavor this time round... that's how something good comes of this..!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

A relation of an in law had a drink problem. He moved out of Dublin and away from his cronies to a caravan in Wexford.
    He got himself dried out and found work locally. Theres no point him staying within a bus if his drinking buddies.
    Best thing he ever did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

You know the rules on off topic posts ;)

Being unemployed, would he have a medical card? Would he be able to get into a public therapy unit on that? Do such facilities exist?

Have ye any relative out the country who'd be willing to put him up for a while? Being away from his drinking accomplices and out of easy reach of an off licence might do him the world of good. A good days graft around a farm might do him no harm either, but I can totally see why anyone would consider him a liability around the farm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Obviously I didn't make myself clear. The subject at hand is accommodation for the OP 's brother. Off topic posts will be deleted and cards issued

Mod

I thought the wink meant you weren't serious! Sorry!

• Advertisement

Sorry I couldn't answer sooner I'm working at the moment and thanks for all the advice with regards his drinking and all that and yes we are trying hard in that respect. I've 5 brothers and a sister and we each try and take him one day/ night a week to keep him off the drink but unfortunately it isn't working very well. He was told a few weeks ago by his neighbours if he didn't stay off the drink they will get him evicted and obviously here we are now.

Anyway the mods are right I am really trying to find an answer to the housing issue as this is a huge problem right now thanks.
    I do feel the only way he will get somewhere to live is the mobile home thing for now anyway if that was possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

OP realistically you need to accept that you cannot help your brother and the ideas you are coming up with will only enable him and not help him at all.

He actually has to be allowed to deal with the consequences of the eviction himself. Ive no doubt many people would disagree with that but given my own experience I know that you cannot help an alcoholic, they can only help themselves.

Trying to "save" him by giving him a caravan will just help him drink on and on.

Edited to add - I think you and all your siblings should go to Alanon because what you are doing is not going to work, at all. You cannot monitor someone elses life so as to keep them off the drink. You need to learn the tools to help you deal with this otherwise you will just continue to enable him.

MouseTail wrote: »
    The notice period seems very short, but there may well be a back story. He needs to get onto the Council and present as homeless. They will probably offer him emergency accommodation. You could contact Simon, www.Simon.ie to discuss what options he has, and how or if you can help.
    Yep there's a long back story and thanks for the simon link. I wouldn't like to see him in a hostel but with so little time it might be an option.

MrWalsh wrote: »
    OP realistically you need to accept that you cannot help your brother and the ideas you are coming up with will only enable him and not help him at all.

He actually has to be allowed to deal with the consequences of the eviction himself. Ive no doubt many people would disagree with that but given my own experience I know that you cannot help an alcoholic, they can only help themselves.

Trying to "save" him by giving him a caravan will just help him drink on and on.

Edited to add - I think you and all your siblings should go to Alanon because what you are doing is not going to work, at all. You cannot monitor someone elses life so as to keep them off the drink. You need to learn the tools to help you deal with this otherwise you will just continue to enable him.
    Yes I know what you mean but the consequences seem too hard to live with if I just ignored him and his problems he would probably take his own life, he has tried a few times already.
    I'll look into the alanon thing thanks.

Its a terrible situation to be in for all of ye. You could speak to someone in AA about how to help him. I would tend to agree that putting him in a caravan will enable his drinking.
    Perhaps he needs to hit rock bottom first to be able to get himself sorted again. Perhaps a stint homeless might be the motivation he needs? You could try letting him fend for himself for a while but keep an eye on him and if it looks like hes slipping further or not likley to make any progress ye can step in again and have him entered onto some detox program or something. I have heard great things about Aiseiri though, quite successful I hear. My neighbours uncle came very close to drinking a fine farm away only for his siblings stepped in in time and got him on a program.

<MOD SNIP, please stay on the subject of accommodation >

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

All personal issues aside, is his eviction being carried out legally? Has he been served the correct notice of termination of tenancy? What reason is been given as the reason for the termination of tenancy? Has he been given previous warnings (in writing?)? If his rent has been late/not paid, has he been notified by this in writing giving him 14 days to rectify this etc. Evicting someone in Ireland is extremely difficult as many of the threads on here from landlords will tell you. I suggest you contact Threshold for advice regarding the legalities of the eviction to see if they can help.

From a personal point of view, I'm sorry you have the worry and stress of someone like this in your life. From my own experience, there is very little you can do until they themselves make the decision to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, I feel for you - Mr OBumble had (yes, past tense) a brother with a story different but oh-so-similar.

I'm with MrWalsh though: all you need to find out is how a person in his area should present to the council as homeless. If your brother approaches you, then the most you do is help him present to the council. Anything beyond that is up to him.

You may get some help with from http://www.al-anon-ireland.org/

All personal issues aside, is his eviction being carried out legally? Has he been served the correct notice of termination of tenancy? What reason is been given as the reason for the termination of tenancy? Has he been given previous warnings (in writing?)? If his rent has been late/not paid, has he been notified by this in writing giving him 14 days to rectify this etc. Evicting someone in Ireland is extremely difficult as many of the threads on here from landlords will tell you. I suggest you contact Threshold for advice regarding the legalities of the eviction to see if they can help.

From a personal point of view, I'm sorry you have the worry and stress of someone like this in your life. From my own experience, there is very little you can do until they themselves make the decision to change.

Hi thanks it is tough and ongoing ever since his drinking made him loose his family and then a second family till he ended up on his own. It's always just waiting for the next problem and I'm the one that usually has to sort it.
    No I don't think the eviction is legal at all. He paid the landlord the other day and the landlord complained because he got a new fish tank and My brother said would get rid of it but an hour later he rang and said he is going to have to ask him to leave in two weeks and we can do this the easy way or the hard way.
    It's not about the fish tank it's more about complains from the neighbours.
    He was told to leave in writing over a year ago but was given one more chance.
    The landlord said he wouldn't give him a reference or his deposit back because the place was in bits although it wasn't( I cleaned it to a shine about a month ago) and it looked better then when he moved in. There was a small window cracked as well but he fixed that this morning himself also he drilled two holes in the wall to mount a telly bracket.
    I will probably contact threshold when I am with him as I don't know all the details. He is drunk now so I won't do it today.
    He has missed payment and pays an extra couple of quid every week to catch up but it's nothing major.

The guy he deals with isn't the owner of the properties but works for the main guy as far as I know. They deal with bottom of the barrel places and people.
    Thanks.

OP, I feel for you - Mr OBumble had (yes, past tense) a brother with a story different but oh-so-similar.

I'm with MrWalsh though: all you need to find out is how a person in his area should present to the council as homeless. If your brother approaches you, then the most you do is help him present to the council. Anything beyond that is up to him.

You may get some help with from http://www.al-anon-ireland.org/
    Hi and sorry for your loss it probably puts all this Into perspective.
    And id say the story is similar in all cases! I've seen it first hand all to many times myself, another brother died as he was too drunk to wake up during a fire and my mother died when I was 16 from drink anyway that's all in the past. My brother who when sober is the nicest person you could meet and would do anything for anyone is in a bad place and not doing anything isn't really an option, I see family's living in tents on Facebook so presenting him as homeless isn't going to get him anywhere at the moment with the crisis were experiencing at the moment.

Advertisement