Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord changed agreed rent

Options
  • 23-06-2015 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Was due to move into a new house at the end of the week. Met up with the landlord today in order to collect the lease and say the rent was 1650, up 100 from the previously agreed price of 1550. I insisted that I was told 1550 was the price, while she claimed that the previous tenants were paying 1600 and it had gone up by 50 euro. Upon speaking with the previous tenants, it is clear that they paid 1500, not 1600.

Is there anything I can do about this? 1550 was agreed to me over the phone only, there is no written documentation to me that claims that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Is there anything I can do about this? ...

Did you sign the lease with the higher rent included in it?

If yes, then you've agreed to it.

If no, then don't sign it. Walk away. Move on. Find another house. And if it was just the landlord trying it on, they'll come after you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭weisses

get proof the previous tenants paid 1500 euro then tell her you agree to pay 50 euro more then previous tenants

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Hope you didn't sign the lease! If 1650 is the going rate then they are within their rights to charge that regardless of what the previous tenant paid check to see what other similar properties are going for in the area. Your only option here really is to try negotiate with the landlord and hopefully they feel its easier to let you have it at that price than wait to try get someone in at the higher price. Do you think they have done this on purpose or do you think its a genuine mistake on their part?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 anarcadefire2

Did you sign the lease with the higher rent included in it?

If yes, then you've agreed to it.

If no, then don't sign it. Walk away. Move on. Find another house. And if it was just the landlord trying it on, they'll come after you.

No lease has been signed yet. I should be able to retrieve proof that the previous tenants paid 1500, I am in contact with them now to send on bank statements.

Unfortunately I would prefer to try get this sorted rather than move away and find somewhere else, we only have till Sunday on the current lease so time is of the essence here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

No lease has been signed yet. I should be able to retrieve proof that the previous tenants paid 1500, I am in contact with them now to send on bank statements.

Unfortunately I would prefer to try get this sorted rather than move away and find somewhere else, we only have till Sunday on the current lease so time is of the essence here.

Even getting proof doesn't really help here though. The landlord would know what the previous tenants were paying and is therefore trying to pull a fast one.

Tell her 1550 was the agreed price and be prepared to walk away.

• Advertisement

What the previous tenant was paying is irrelevant. Only way to sort this is to negotiate with the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 anarcadefire2

jimmii wrote: »
    What the previous tenant was paying is irrelevant. Only way to sort this is to negotiate with the landlord.

I got confirmation from previous tenants they were paying 1500. The landlord told me there was a 50 euro price increase from them to us, claiming they had been initially paying 1600.

Is the odds lying in the landlords favor? I fear he will simply claim that it is 1650 now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Yes, I'm afraid the odds are in Landlords favour. you have no come back here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭keysersoze0330

I got confirmation from previous tenants they were paying 1500. The landlord told me there was a 50 euro price increase from them to us, claiming they had been initially paying 1600.

Is the odds lying in the landlords favor? I fear he will simply claim that it is 1650 now anyway.

Landlord pulling a fast one. However there is nothing you can do about this, its irrelevant what the previous tenant was paying really

It doesn't matter what they were paying or what may or may not have been agreed on previously as there is no proof of it being agreed. All you can do is try talk them down to a number you are happy with and sign for that or walk away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Do you really want them as your land lord, can you stay in your current place for the time being, go onto part 4 tenancy and then look for somewhere else? Even if you take the house now next year expect him to extract his revenge

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭keysersoze0330

Doesn't bode well for the future relationship. Walk now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,290 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Do you really want them as your land lord, can you stay in your current place for the time being, go onto part 4 tenancy and then look for somewhere else? Even if you take the house now next year expect him to extract his revenge

This. How can you trust them with anything if they are prepared to lie to your face. Imagine the hassle this cowboy will give you when something needs to be repaired or you want your deposit back.

Keep looking for a new place.

Advertisement