Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting Blanchardstown to Sandyford?

Options
  • 23-06-2015 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all,

I'm interviewing for the "job of my life" (those jobs you've been preparing for for years!!)... my only huge concern is that I live in Blanch (am working currently also in Blanch), while this job is in Sandyford.
    I'm not a spring chicken really, and I would be hired for my expertise...

I was considering putting the condition of working from home 2 days per week to lessen the burden of commuting.

Any expert in commuting this stretch there? At what time should I leave home to be there at 9am? Would the 2 days at home be enough?
    The money they offer is only 5k more than what I have now, I think it would simply go to repay the commuting costs.

thanks for any thoughts you can share with me on this

JT

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Are you stuck in Blanch or could you move closer to the job?
    If it's the job of your life then it might be worth taking even with the additional costs of commuting.
    I'd wait until I was offered the job before mentioning working from home.
    Is the 5k increase likely to lead, in time, to a greater income differential?
    Could you get a moped/motorcycle for commuting?

My sister works in Dun Laoghaire and lives in Clonsilla, the expense of driving/tolls mounts up as does the time particularly since the increase in traffic on the M50.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Hardly the worst commute in the world though assuming you drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 JollyTTT

Hi,

Thanks for your messages and your advice already! Boards rock!
    Would you know how much do I have to plan driving? I'm stuck in Blanch so cannot move, and indeed not the age anymore for going on a motorbike :-)
    I think that 5k only translates into just above 210 per month extra. Tolls, plus petrol and car repairs ... not sure

I'll keep you posted on how it will be going - but yes, great advice, will not mentioning the working from home until after I'm offered the job ( if they will!!!!!)

cheers

J

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Personally I wouldn't do it for 5K. Its hitting the worst of the M50 at the worst time. Google gives it from 35 to 65mins to get there at 8.30am. Going by the radio there seems to be an accident on it every other morning. Its not that long, plenty of people do longer. Doable for a while certainly. It would be nice to have an alternative though.

The problem is its dire for public transport. I did it 20yrs ago and it was brutal then. Its a bit better now but still not great. If were me I'd get a high end brompton folding bike. Get the docklands train, then cycle up the canal to Ranelagh Luas. I reckon it would take about 15~20 mins on the docklands train, 15~20 mins easy cycling (on cycle paths) in the middle. Then the luas about 26 mins. The folding bike cuts any walking to a minimum. Getting to and from the door to the station either end. Its an option anyway. Its a lot less stress than the car.

Theres also buses but I think that would take forever. Maybe someone does though and say otherwise. Moving your start earlier would make a difference. When I was doing cross city I used to try get in for 8am and have breakfast, walk, at work before I started. The key was to get out the door as early as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It's nowhere near as bad as people are making it out to be. Traffic is heavy but moves for the most part, unless there's an accident. The worse of the traffic is around Sandyford itself. You could take longer commuting into the city. And considering moving (not that you are) is overkill in the extreme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭murria

To avoid paying M50 tolls you could go via Chapelizod and join the M50 at junction 8 Palmerstown. It would probably take 45 -60 mins at that time of day.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Blanch to Sandyford isn't too bad OP.. I trek in/out from Portlaoise and can do it in 45-60 mins most days :) Blanch to Sandyford would take me about 25 mins barring any accidents on the M50.

5k extra isn't that much though (works out at about €200 a month extra after the taxman has his cut) and you'll be paying tolls every day so expect half of that increase to go on that alone.. then there's extra fuel as well. Not much but it all adds up.

If the company is a big US multinational out there then working from home is indeed an option and they're well setup for it but I wouldn't be throwing it in as a precondition if it's a job you've always wanted.. a better idea would be to see if you can be flexible with your start/finish hours and work it that way and once you've settled in maybe then see about working from home one/two days a week. Myself I usually get in around 7/7:30 and leave about 4 which avoids most of the problems, but even getting in for 8 isn't too bad .. just takes a bit longer.

Public transport though is not an option I'd recommend in this instance unless you want to detour via the city centre unnecessarily and have to get a LUAS back out at maybe 3 times the time involved.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    ... I usually get in around 7/7:30 and leave about 4 which avoids most of the problems, but even getting in for 8 isn't too bad .. just takes a bit longer.

Public transport though is not an option I'd recommend in this instance unless you want to detour via the city centre unnecessarily and have to get a LUAS back out at maybe 3 times the time involved.

In fairness your talking about going 2 hours earlier than the OP.

Its trying to get in for 9am is the killer every where. Trying to get in at 8am or 11am is a whole different thing.

beauf wrote: »
    In fairness your talking about going 2 hours earlier than the OP.

Its trying to get in for 9am is the killer every where. Trying to get in at 8am or 11am is a whole different thing.

True, but the reality is that with traffic the way it is in Dublin at rush hour, people will probably have to plan to be in work a little earlier than they start if they want to avoid the worst of it.

Besides, gives you time to have a coffee or brekkie beforehand as well :)

oh guys, you're so good in giving me your thoughts. Going in tomorrow morning for the "further" interview at 9am.
    I'll leave Blanch at 7 and plan for this to get me there at 8.30 hopefully.... considering I only know where the place is from google maps (and no, I don't have a sat nav)
    I'll post back what are my findings tomorrow ... and if they kind of like me too also, as well :-)

• Advertisement

JollyTTT wrote: »
    oh guys, you're so good in giving me your thoughts. Going in tomorrow morning for the "further" interview at 9am.
    I'll leave Blanch at 7 and plan for this to get me there at 8.30 hopefully.... considering I only know where the place is from google maps (and no, I don't have a sat nav)
    I'll post back what are my findings tomorrow ... and if they kind of like me too also, as well :-)

Good luck tomorrow OP :) Hope it goes well!

My advice... come off the M50 at Exit 14 rather than 13 (watch out though as the M50 becomes 2 lanes at this exit so be aware of trucks/cars moving into the middle lane as you try to exit) and when you get to the top of the slip road, go straight through the roundabout and then take the left at the 2nd set of lights.

This will bring you into the Estate itself (assuming that's where you're going). At the next lights you can only go left and then you're into the Estate proper. Also be aware that if you have to park on the street, it's pay and display and the clampers are pretty active around the place.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you had any flexibility in the hours you start and finish it need not be a bad commute at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

I was doing Blanch to Blackrock for a while OP. It wasn't the worst in the world but I did city centre on the way in (down Blackhorse Avenue, through Stoneybatter and left onto Brunswick Street... won't give you the whole thing play-by-play but I had a nifty little route through town that saved me about 15 minutes some mornings, PM if you want it :) ) and M50 on the way back, coming out at Palmerstown and through the park most days. It was manageable but a) I like driving b) I used a full tank most weeks without much driving other than that, and my car has good fuel economy c) even leaving 5 minutes later than usual, if I couldn't find something in the morning or whatever, meant significant differences in amount of traffic/ people driving stupidly.
    Wouldn't turn down my dream job over it for sure. Good luck tomorrow :)

This all is so encouraging, thank you! I'm writing down these pieces of wisdom!!!
    As for directions thanks a trillion... might as well say I'm going right next door to the Beacon Hotel, and I saw these directions for it:

Exit the M50 at the Junction 13, sign-posted Dundrum.
    At the roundabout take the 3rd exit and stay in the middle lane.
    At the roundabout take the 1st exit and stay in the right hand lane.
    At the next junction take a right – you will see The Beacon Hotel on the right hand side

Kaiser, do you still recommend exit 14? please let me know, I'll check this tomorrow morning before leaving.

thanks a lot all!!!

JT

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭rameire

best of luck tomorrow,
    I come off at jn 14 for central park, if you are heading to beside the beacon, i would be recommended I would think to come off at jn 13.
    thats if it actually is beside the beacon.
    if you are further into sandyford it may be advisable to come off at jn 14, stick to what you know for now,
    you can amend the route to suite you when you are working there.
    good idea leaving early,
    but as schools are off traffic is lighter ( all those 8 year olds driving their cars makes a difference )
    you should be at the location latest 7.45.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

JollyTTT wrote: »
    This all is so encouraging, thank you! I'm writing down these pieces of wisdom!!!
    As for directions thanks a trillion... might as well say I'm going right next door to the Beacon Hotel, and I saw these directions for it:

Exit the M50 at the Junction 13, sign-posted Dundrum.
    At the roundabout take the 3rd exit and stay in the middle lane.
    At the roundabout take the 1st exit and stay in the right hand lane.
    At the next junction take a right – you will see The Beacon Hotel on the right hand side

Kaiser, do you still recommend exit 14? please let me know, I'll check this tomorrow morning before leaving.

thanks a lot all!!!

JT

Those directions will work better alright if heading for the Beacon... when you come off at J13 and go down the hill to the roundabout, exit 3 as above will have you following alongside the M50.

At the end of this road at the roundabout you'll see a left slip road.. ignore this - go to the roundabout and take the left as it says

This then brings you down to a main junction and the Beacon will indeed be on the right.

Note that when you take that last right you'll need to drive about 50m and turn right at the next lights in order to gain access to their underground car park - in other words you have to go to the back of the Beacon if ya get me :)
    It's not cheap either.. think it's €3 per hour if I remember right

• Registered Users Posts: 9,284 ✭✭✭markpb

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    At the end of this road at the roundabout you'll see a left slip road.. ignore this - go to the roundabout and take the left as it says

Listen to the man when he says this! Please don't be _that_ guy who takes the slip and then has to cross three lanes of heavy traffic to get into the right lane.

Made it! Thanks guys! I left at 7 and was at the beacon hotel at 7.30 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

sorry to resurrect a thread but it already has some helpful information. I'm considering a new role in Central Park, Leopardstown and wondering how long it would take to drive from Blanchardstown (Ongar/Clonee end) to Leopardstown for 9am start? Final post from OP above said he made it in 30 mins to Sandyford leaving at 7 which seems almost too good to be true. If I left at 7:45am, would I always comfortably make it in for 9am assuming no major hold up?

Secondly, I've always worked city centre commuting by train so clueless about the queues from N3 inbound to M50 southbound. Are they manic in the morning or would I be better going back roads via Lucan (dodging tolls also)?.

Can anyone doing similar journeys currently offer drive time estimates? Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Use Google Maps to get directions, and then hit the Leave Now drop down and you can select either Depart At or Arrive By. It's pretty accurate as it seems to use historical data such a traffic delays to work it out and will show you where the hold ups are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭T-wolf

ongarboy wrote: »
    sorry to resurrect a thread but it already has some helpful information. I'm considering a new role in Central Park, Leopardstown and wondering how long it would take to drive from Blanchardstown (Ongar/Clonee end) to Leopardstown for 9am start? Final post from OP above said he made it in 30 mins to Sandyford leaving at 7 which seems almost too good to be true. If I left at 7:45am, would I always comfortably make it in for 9am assuming no major hold up?

Secondly, I've always worked city centre commuting by train so clueless about the queues from N3 inbound to M50 southbound. Are they manic in the morning or would I be better going back roads via Lucan (dodging tolls also)?.

Can anyone doing similar journeys currently offer drive time estimates? Thanks!

Hey there,

I work in Sandyford, and its a mix of driving or public transport from the Ongar/Clonee N3 junction to work and back each morning, from Littlepace, so close enough to Ongar.

Public transport - 90% of the time, if you're on the 70 at 0730, and switch to a Luas at Stephens Green, you're in work for 9.

The other 10% is just Dublin traffic being lousy - always screws up the Bus. Stoneybatter, Quays near O'Connell bridge, and Luas works around Trinity are the problem points.

Alternative is the 39/39A, but thats less predictable. Add 10 -15 mins at least. It also gets very crowded, and is usually pretty full by the Blanch Centre.

I'll not mention the fun the Luas strikes are causing at the moment.

Driving, If you want to be sure, be on the N3 at 0750 - if traffic is good (about 1/3rd of the time) then you'll be in early. After 8, you're screwed usually, except if schools are off.

If anything at all happens on the M50 southbound before the Red Cow, the queue to get on to the M50 can be awful - add in the usual delays at Palmerstown/Red Cow/Ballymount, it is very unpredictable. I've made to to my desk in 25 mins, and other times taken 90+ minutes.

Driving home - I leave at 5.30pm, usually get home for about 6.40pm. Reverse the trip on public transport, and i get home at 7-ish.

Adding in the time to get off the M50 into work, and my experience is driving saves you 15 minutes each way in normal traffic, to almost an hour if traffic is good. Public transport is more predictable, but longer, and no toll charges (I've got a monthly commuter ticket)

If you can work outside the normal 9 to 5/5.30 hours, its a lot better! (I can't :mad:)

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

That's really helpful T-Wolf - thanks!

Its the kinda Journey I'd consider a serious electric bike or small scooter. Its probably only about a 40 min cycle on an electric bike.

You could even get the docklands train then use a bike to switch to the luas. But you'll still be constrained by the train/luas times.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭T-wolf

beauf wrote: »
    Its the kinda Journey I'd consider a serious electric bike or small scooter. Its probably only about a 40 min cycle on an electric bike.

You could even get the docklands train then use a bike to switch to the luas. But you'll still be constrained by the train/luas times.

Considered it myself, but the trains inbound are crowded enough by time they reach my local station (Clonsilla, say 30 mins walk) so that could cause problems. And I'm simply not confident enough in traffic to cycle across the city centre in rush hour both ways.

Would be better if public transport was improved - every 10/15 mins for the main bus to D15 (the 39/39a) is not enough in the mornings. As is I'm lucky to be living close to the 70 as well, which is generally faster than the 39a.

I used to do a similar journey back in the 90's using public transport only, it could be a two hour each way back them. When I drove I just went in early, and got coffee or read the paper or just got ahead of my work. Or hit the pool/gym or similar before starting.

Train are bit packed alright. If you have an expensive folding bike (Brompton etc) its not an issue. Cheaper ones don't fold small enough to be practical on busy trains. So its a bit of a commitment.

For me when the traffic is busiest, that the time its easy to cycle. As its all stopped or moving at slow speed. You'd be in bus lanes or cycle lanes across the city so while it seems daunting its a lot less stressful than you might imagine.

I can appreciate its not for everyone. I borrowed a cheap folding bike to do a few trial runs to test my own route.

Advertisement