Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jordan Spieth

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Not sure that qualifies as good BOpen links prep lads. Im no expert on links golf but Chambers Bay is a man made links type golf course (greens "pure fescue" etc) and judging by the pictures, the Australian open didnt look much like a BOpen links.

Chambers Bay was like a links on steroids, If I was to try to cast any slight doubt over him then it would be his lack of golf in high winds more so than links. But I would be inclined to say he'll probably hang in there as good as any of them.
    He's an excellent putter, excellent putters are usual excellent on all types of greens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭blue note

I think this guy is the real deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

PARlance wrote: »
    Chambers Bay was like a links on steroids, If I was to try to cast any slight doubt over him then it would be his lack of golf in high winds more so than links. But I would be inclined to say he'll probably hang in there as good as any of them.
    He's an excellent putter, excellent putters are usual excellent on all types of greens.

Forecast for the week is for Fresh Breeze at most for the Thurs & Fri. I also think he could handle windy conditions. Fair point that Chambers Bay was a juiced up links. But it may not qualify as 'ideal' prep for BOpen links. Different weather and ground conditions. i.e Chambers Bay played hard and fast. St Andrews is supposedly playing slow and soft.
    As you say regardless of weather and conditions he will prob deal with it as good as most of them. But....

...I dont think Speith can win this one. There are too many players in the field who know St.Andrews much better and have form. And if i was to pick someone to fair better than Speith i would go with the former champ Luis Oosthuizen. Runner up at Chambers Bay!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

If I'm not mistaken Texan golfers grow up playing in windy conditions so he might be well used to it

alxmorgan wrote: »
    If I'm not mistaken Texan golfers grow up playing in windy conditions so he might be well used to it

you are not mistaken!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭yipsnomore

Just watched his press conference. Hugely impressive guy. No hyperbole.
    I wasn't too excited about the Open till now. He's on the brink of something special. Would be fitting if it happened at St Andrews.

yipsnomore wrote: »
    Just watched his press conference. Hugely impressive guy. No hyperbole.
    I wasn't too excited about the Open till now. He's on the brink of something special. Would be fitting if it happened at St Andrews.

To be honest he's already done something special in back to back majors. He'll be world number 1 very soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Well lads Is he the best player in the world? Could he bresk nicklaus s major haul?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

Far far too early to say. He has had a good year and he's certainly a good player but he has a long way to go before being compared to Jack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

stockdam wrote: »
    Far far too early to say. He has had a good year and he's certainly a good player but he has a long way to go before being compared to Jack.[/QUOTE
    Better than mcillroy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,067 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

He is going to break many records now.

Suddenly with him and Day - the Rory thing is not looking so straightforward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Have to say I don't know whether I like him or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,643 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Like him or loathe him you have to respect him for the way he brings his Special Needs sister along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Yes fair play for that.

• Advertisement

He just steps up and bangs it in.

If ever there was an example of putting to win.

Jordan did it this year.

Only thing - putting rarely lasts for very long.

Tiger putted unreal for over 10 years - so maybe, but a rare thing.

Like some of the putts he makes without doubt are well over 12 feet. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

What's not to like?

What's not to like?

I guess that good an mr perfect , is not what some people want in their sports stars.

I think people forget how young he is - America is designed to make perfect kids like this.

But give him 10 million a few years of selfies and , you cant but go nuts.

It is not really a natural existence - the eyes on you all the time.

He is young , it is all new , it will change , he will change.

He is an interesting one.

But look at these lads were loved - an edge to them all, even worse than an edge for some.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR5iWdRY7Hq3dB4CXRIm9zqjfWPleIqqs7g96cILdsYwuL1S_9qWw

The-Hand-of-God-007.jpg

ayrton-senna_2895669b.jpg

higgins-580_54306a.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Some achievement by Spieth. I like him - I think he conducts himself very well. And I think it is great that there are now three players jossling for top spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Atleast this settles player of the year.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Like him or loathe him you have to respect him for the way he brings his Special Needs sister along.
    Never got that "special needs" label she has the same needs as all of us and just requires some extra support to have those needs met. I like him and having a sister that requires some extra support is something i did not know.

vienne86 wrote: »
    Some achievement by Spieth. I like him - I think he conducts himself very well. And I think it is great that there are now three players jossling for top spot.

This is what I like about it too.

Is a twist in the golf story.

Looked like it was going to be too easy for Rory a while back.

But Day and Spieth are not going away and Johnson and Fowler could easily go up a gear.

One man I can't get my head around is Kaymer - he is as good anything when good. But seems limited to certain courses, weeks and seems a little weak mentally.

Then you have another bunch who could turn it on like
    Rose,
    Bubba Watson,
    Basically most of the South African lads,
    Reed,

Woods still an unknown

Could be end of Scott (putter ban) :confused:

Golf in a far better place now, was a bit dead when Woods went off the boil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,444 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

For those looking for a Jordan Spieth Thread.

This is the most recent one ;)

Wind is meant to be up this afternoon so we'll see if he shoots a similar number again today! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

He really needs a new caddy!!!!

Isn't that how this goes usually when someone has a bad time on the course?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

ForeRight wrote: »

He had one terrible hole. It can happen to anyone. I think he said the game plan changed slightly after the front nine, became more conservative, and that should have been his own choice really.

Thought he recovered exceptionally well to leave himself that put on 16 for the birdie and a potential play off scenario if he got another. Today could turn out to be a far more valuable experience for Spieth than had he seen it out. I'm sure he'll use it to his advantage. Serious operator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

Canadel wrote: »
    He had one terrible hole. It can happen to anyone. I think he said the game plan changed slightly after the front nine, became more conservative, and that should have been his own choice really.

Thought he recovered exceptionally well to leave himself that put on 16 for the birdie and a potential play off scenario if he got another. Today could turn out to be a far more valuable experience for Spieth than had he seen it out. I'm sure he'll use it to his advantage. Serious operator.

He had 3 terrible holes bogeyed the two before 12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

ForeRight wrote: »

And a new swing coach and a couple of shrinks!!!:pac::D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Interesting that the scoreboard showed Danny Willett getting to -4 just before he took his tee shot on 12. There were Ooohs and Aaaahs from the 'patrons' ;) mentioned by the commentators just as he got to the tee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

ger664 wrote: »
    He had 3 terrible holes bogeyed the two before 12

Bogey is unfortunate but happens, the 7 on 12 was terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

I agree with this 100%. I don't think this experience will scar him, I think he will learn a lot from it. This guy has competed in the Masters 3 times, 1 win and runner-up twice and he has lead for 7 of the last 8 rounds, Unbelievable stuff. His collapse yesterday was spectacular but he is still only 22. He will have many many more chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

I agree with this 100%. I don't think this experience will scar him, I think he will learn a lot from it. This guy has competed in the Masters 3 times, 1 win and runner-up twice and he has lead for 7 of the last 8 rounds, Unbelievable stuff. His collapse yesterday was spectacular but he is still only 22. He will have many many more chances.
    It may not scar him, but it's shown a chink in his (under ;)) armour. Most will see his blow up on the 12th as a result of the pressure he came under from Willett and the almost direct comparison to the situation he found himself in on that hole when competeing with Bubba in 2014.

If he can do what he did in 2015, nobody can touch him but those were unusual circumstances where he could put two exceptional rounds together in quick succession.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Slow play aside the guy has great mental resolve. Firstly the putt he holed for the 7 was not easy and then to go on and have 2 birdies. Many other golfers would have simply crumbled. He still finished tied second. Remarkable

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Keano wrote: »
    Slow play aside the guy has great mental resolve. Firstly the putt he holed for the 7 was not easy and then to go on and have 2 birdies. Many other golfers would have simply crumbled. He still finished tied second. Remarkable
    I think he was operating on auto-pilot at that stage, stumbling around in a trance-like state. It may even have helped him in that he was just hitting the shots and not analysing everything to the nth degree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Looks like he is going to win at colonial here anyway. His putting is just ridiculously good.
    Great response after his disappointing weekend last week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Absolutely outrageous finish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

That display of putting was just ridiculous.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

The guy can roll his rock!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,444 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

He's back and just in time for the US Open

• Advertisement
Advertisement