Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DART Underground planning due to lapse, but lots of Airport Luas talk?

191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭thomasj

Says it all really when you can get a direct bus to Dublin airport from the far side of the country but not in closer parts of the city (ie northside)

Yet we have a northside orbital bus route that serves these places that terminates 10 minutes from the airport but no transport means of getting closer from that terminus.

Its a joke really that airport buses have to go through the city centre that gets crippled more often than not.

We had multiple reports that told us the need for orbital routes skipping the city centre yet we ignored them.

Its no worder web summit decided to leave this place!

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭McAlban

Alan Farrell is having a Public Meeting tonight for those interested...

https://twitter.com/AlanFarrell/status/647503074957914112

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

McAlban wrote: »
    Alan Farrell is having a Public Meeting tonight for those interested...

https://twitter.com/AlanFarrell/status/647503074957914112

Interesting in having their dignity further raped with more bull****?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

thanks for the heads up McAlban, I might well head to that... I dont think the 1.8 billion for MNR is off the wall... With the shelving of plans for the original MN. I think we are between a rock and a hard place, I cant see them giving MN money out on the other hand the luas as proposed isnt up to the job. If in doubt, do nowt is my opinion on this.

Luas green line was always intended to be upgraded to "metro" in the future, maybe have this go out to the airport, what this upgrade entails, I am not sure, maybe simply longer platforms and trams, high level of segregation and very frequent trams. Maybe short running from swords to city centre also...

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Luas green line was always intended to be upgraded to "metro" in the future, maybe have this go out to the airport, what this upgrade entails, I am not sure, maybe simply longer platforms and trams, high level of segregation and very frequent trams. Maybe short running from swords to city centre also...

I think I'll head out myself. be interesting to see how many show up.

IIRC: The Original Green line was almost entirely segragated and planned to go underground at Charlemont Place and continue onto Broadstone. As building it through the City Centre was thought "too disruptive". But Somebody stuck a Hotel and Office Block on the 4.5 Acre site for the Tunnel portal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

I think I'll head out myself. be interesting to see how many show up.

IIRC: The Original Green line was almost entirely segragated and planned to go underground at Charlemont Place and continue onto Broadstone. As building it through the City Centre was thought "too disruptive". But Somebody stuck a Hotel and Office Block on the 4.5 Acre site for the Tunnel portal.

What's the point in holding the meeting the day before the capital plan is being announced. The feedback won't be used and the discussion would be best held after?

Probably to show he's doing something.

Probably to show he's doing something.

But is he not just going to show he is out of the loop?

Either way I am going, maybe others will say what I intend on saying, but if they dont, I have no problem calling it for the joke it is. Typical Ireland like my dad has said here for years (he is german) we go from one extreme to another. If an adequate solution cant be built now, for political or financial reasons or both. Then wait till it can be, which in the scheme of things, will be the blink of an eye away, we have been waiting for decades, and will be waiting for a minimum half a decade more, we came tantalizingly close with MN before the recession hit. We can wait a while longer IMO if we have to.

this is about a north dublin and swords connection, but an airport handling over 30,000,000 passengers, which dublin airport will before the end of 2017 IMO, down to 10% growth in 2016 and 2017 from 15% this year. this alone should rule out that joke. So that airport could conceivably handling between 35,000,000 and 40,000,000 before this thing is even finished!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Either way I am going, maybe others will say what I intend on saying, but if they dont, I have no problem calling it for the joke it is. Typical Ireland like my dad has said here for years (he is german) we go from one extreme to another. If an adequate solution cant be built now, for political or financial reasons or both. Then wait till it can be, which in the scheme of things, will be the blink of an eye away, we have been waiting for decades, and will be waiting for a minimum half a decade more, we came tantalizingly close with MN before the recession hit. We can wait a while longer IMO if we have to.

this is about a north dublin and swords connection, but an airport handling over 30,000,000 passengers, which dublin airport will before the end of 2017 IMO, down to 10% growth in 2016 and 2017 from 15% this year. this alone should rule out that joke. So that airport could conceivably handling between 35,000,000 and 40,000,000 before this thing is even finished!!!!

If they are going to the bother of increasing capacity into Connolly then the blindingly obvious answer is a DART branch to the Airport and Swords. Also, this guff canvassed earlier about a ten year lead time to build a Luas to the Airport is just that, guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,543 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

How was the meeting tonight guys. Was their any significant highlights to note for either of the projects?

Nothing really new, he basically laid out the LR3 and LR7 options. General Consensus from the public was that OMN/LR7 was the preferred option. But he wouldn't be drawn on what the final option was. (Whether he doesn't know or wasn't saying wasn't made clear).

He did say that the whole project was going to be funded in the Capex with some loands from the EIB and some PPP, so at least it wont be phase 1 airport. phase 2 Swords.

Nothing really new, he basically laid out the LR3 and LR7 options. General Consensus from the public was that OMN/LR7 was the preferred option. But he wouldn't be drawn on what the final option was. (Whether he doesn't know or wasn't saying wasn't made clear).

He did say that the whole project was going to be funded in the Capex with some loands from the EIB and some PPP, so at least it wont be phase 1 airport. phase 2 Swords.

Is the capital plan announced tomorrow? Last Monday when it was pushed i saw it referenced as tomorrow week?

He said tomorrow or Wednesday actually. I heard it was pushed out to wednesday last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Yes - confirmed for today.

I saw a article on the indo which says it will be built or delivered at a slower pace - not sure if that means it'll be years before it starts or if the build time will be slower.

If it is OMN then i guess it needs to go through the full planning permission process again? Probably 2018/2019 before construction starts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Also from today's Indo.
    One of the larger components is a €110m upgrade of the N7 Naas dual carriageway.
    This would allow traffic to freely flow from Cork, Waterford and Carlow to Belfast via Dublin.
    What does this mean? If "via Dublin" means the M50 then nothing will be flowing freely!

Also from today's Indo.

What does this mean? If "via Dublin" means the M50 then nothing will be flowing freely!

€110m won't go far on that road. No grade separated junctions for a start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭jd

Also from today's Indo.

I'd guess they mean the 3 lanes to the M9 junction.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

Also from today's Indo.

It means nothing will be started. It's more lies from the Pathological Liars in Leinster House.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭thomasj

Hmmmmm Metro to swords and dart to Balbriggan in the first phase?

North Dublin constituency is very popular!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

oh well. i was hoping they would build it as a dart line as it would have more capacity which can be matched to demand. but at least its not airport luas i suppose

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

Ignore everthing else in the press release. This is the key sentence:

It is expected that construction of the project would commence in 2021 with a view to delivery by 2026/27.

What an absolute crock of shìt. Another 6 years before a hole is dug. They actually have no intention of building it do they.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

It is expected that construction of the project would commence in 2021 with a view to delivery by 2026/27.

What an absolute crock of shìt. Another 6 years before a hole is dug. They actually have no intention of building it do they.

when did you expect them to say it would be ready

• Advertisement

2021?! Lo f*cking l! Why not make it 2121? I understand 2 years or so. So construction should start in another election year?! At least with the luas joke ruled out, they won't be able to try and work their way out a decent option in future. This was my real concern they would use the recession as chance to get it done on cheap cheap, it appears that's been sorted. Maybe ff who actually came close to building MN and du, might be on power next year. Given the current option, realistically I reckon Fg / FF coalition is best... Fg senior party...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Amen. 2027??? what a ****ing embarrassment. Kiss goodbye to Rugby World Cup 2023

A 30 million passenger airport (with probably a parallel runway in the meantime) and all it has are coaches and a taxi monopoly. **** off Paschal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

when did you expect them to say it would be ready

I expected construction to begin within 2 years and that is being generous. 6 years of waiting for what exactly? Modification of the existing plans should not take 6 years considering the vast majority of the work is done already.

I reckon airport will hit 30,000,000 before 2018... That's based on 25 million this year and maintains the steady growth of 15% for the rest of 2015. Then back to 10% growth in 2017 and 2018. This is gonna get majorly laughable if / when we have an airport with gatwick - Munich figures and no rail connection... You'd wonder given time line on this, if they should build dart to airport, cheap quick fix, hook it up to swords later. North Dublin would in turn have great rail infrastructure and would allow serious amounts of housing be built...

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Amen. 2027??? what a ****ing embarrassment. Kiss goodbye to Rugby World Cup 2023

A 30 million passenger airport (with probably a parallel runway in the meantime) and all it has are coaches and a taxi monopoly. **** off Paschal.

thomasj wrote: »
    Hmmmmm Metro to swords and dart to Balbriggan in the first phase?

North Dublin constituency is very popular!

It's also very populous, and growing faster than anywhere else in the country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

2027!? for a few kms of light rail. The Chinese must be pissing themselves laughing as well as any country that is not a third rate bananna republic. That is
    unbelievable.

How stupid are these people or more importantly how stupid do they think we are?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Some of the more salient points of the proposal:
    “The main cost reduction elements of new Metro North are:

Reduced tunnelling;
    A reduced length of elevated structure by surface running in Swords;
    One less city centre station, by replacing O’Connell Bridge and Parnell Square stations with a single station on O’Connell Street;
    Smaller stations with shorter platforms, matching the reduced length vehicles.

How small minded and penny pinching. The thing will be beyond ****ing capacity the day it opens. I can't believe I'll be 52 years old when the airport gets a rail link
    Generates the highest level of transport benefits of all of the options assessed and has the highest number of additional public transport trips in the am peak travel period;
    Is the most economically advantageous scheme, delivering the highest benefit to cost ratio of all of the options assessed;
    Provides a new strategic public transport corridor, avoiding reliance on either the existing heavy rail lines or the Luas Cross City line which is under construction;
    Delivers a connection right into the heart of the city, serving O’Connell Street and St. Stephen’s Green;
    Retains the opportunity to extend Luas Cross City to Finglas, which would not be feasible if the alternative Luas option examined by the NTA were selected;
    Generates the highest level of highway and public transport benefits, demonstrating that it is the scheme most likely to encourage modal shift from car to public transport;
    Provides a maximum level of accessibility to socially deprived areas within the study area and opens up connectivity to employment, health and education facilities;
    Could potentially be extended southwards in the longer term to alleviate high travel demand on the Luas Green Line, and ultimately form a complete north-south metro corridor traversing both the north and south city; and
    Retains a large proportion of the value of the almost €170 million invested to date in the Metro North project.

It has no interconnectivity to heavy rail, yet another sucker punch for intercity potential.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I'm locking this because of overlap with the new threads:

...Sorry... should have done this earlier!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

OK. Thread closed now.

Most posts post-announcement from today moved to this thread:
    For discussion on the details of the New Metro North please use this thread:

It's a big announcement and even if Metro never gets built there will be billions spent, so, if there's anything worth it's own thread please feel free to start one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement