Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DART Underground planning due to lapse, but lots of Airport Luas talk?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

grimbergen wrote: »
    I travel on it every day and with the exception of the obvious peak times (8-8.30am and 5.30-6pm) there's plenty of capacity, especially compared to a lot of other mass-transit systems in other cities ive lived in.

When people in public transport planning talk about capacity and if it is under or over capacity, they mean the maximum possible capacity at peak times, in particular the morning peak.

If people are left behind at stations between 8 and 9am because the trams are too full, then its usage is over capacity.

Clearly you will have much lighter loads outside peak hours, but that is largely irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭cgcsb

On the red line even at weekends it's difficult to find a spot to stand. During peek times you could be left waiting for the next one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

As a matter of interest, what could the frequency be inctreased to? If i'm not mistaken it's every 3 minutes in the morning rush hour.

SSG to Sandyford is regular in the rush hour, though not sure about every 3 minutes. The Brides glen is every 15 minutes at rush hour. Interestingly, if the timetable is accurate the trams to/from Brides Glen are more frequent on Sunday afternoon than they are between 9 and 11am on a weekday.

Answers on a postcard...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

cgcsb wrote: »
    On the red line even at weekends it's difficult to find a spot to stand. During peek times you could be left waiting for the next one.

Another take on, in this case, "peke" hour by Spike Milligan :)

http://allpoetry.com/Look-At-All-Those-Monkeys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

As a matter of interest, what could the frequency be inctreased to? If i'm not mistaken it's every 3 minutes in the morning rush hour.
    syklops wrote: »
    SSG to Sandyford is regular in the rush hour, though not sure about every 3 minutes. The Brides glen is every 15 minutes at rush hour. Interestingly, if the timetable is accurate the trams to/from Brides Glen are more frequent on Sunday afternoon than they are between 9 and 11am on a weekday.

Answers on a postcard...

The Luas website says trams every 3-6 minutes peak times SSG to Sandyford but my experience is every 4/5 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Looking at the full timetable on the National Journey Planner, green line trams serve Sandyford inbound between 07:30 and 08:45 as follows:

07:33, 07:38, 07:42; 07:45; 07:49; 07:52; 07:56; 07:59; 08:03; 08:06; 08:09; 08:13; 08:17; 08:21; 08:24; 08:28; 08:32; 08:38; 08:43

That says to me that there is still spare capacity on that line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

A Luas linking the City Centre and Airport would be a goldmine

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

We need a LUAS or DART to the airport, not a pretend solution like BRT. I would strongly argue that we need to stop the proliferation of different technologies and standardise on three: normal road buses, LUAS and DART. They are all known quantities and work well when they are used as they are designed to be used.

BRT seems to give all the problems of the LUAS with none/few of the advantages. It requires segregation, is dependent primarily on fossil fuels and the buses themselves are unsuitable for use on many normal roadways.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

lxflyer wrote: »

I think the issue is when you come to the city center, on street running. You just can't increase the frequency of trams as they start piling up at traffic lights, due to having to contend with traffic lights, motorists, pedestrians and cyclists. They simply can't go as fast in the city center.

That is why it is noticeable that the capacity of Luas BXD is 1,000 less per hour then the green line. The green line is pretty fast and segregated outside the city and isn't even too bad when it gets into the city, only mostly lightly trafficked, wide roads.

But once it is extended into the city center, there is no way it will be able to keep up this level of speed and frequency.

That is why the Luas airport proposal has a phase 2, to put the line underground between Stephens Green and Broombridge, that would eliminate most of the difficult, slow, inner city movements and allow for much higher speeds and frequency and thus capacity.

However it isn't really clear how much this phase 2 would cost and even if it would get built. I expect doing phase 2 would push up the total cost of the project to almost the same as Metro North.

bk wrote: »
    I think the issue is when you come to the city center, on street running. You just can't increase the frequency of trams as they start piling up at traffic lights, due to having to contend with traffic lights, motorists, pedestrians and cyclists. They simply can't go as fast in the city center.

That is why it is noticeable that the capacity of Luas BXD is 1,000 less per hour then the green line. The green line is pretty fast and segregated outside the city and isn't even too bad when it gets into the city, only mostly lightly trafficked, wide roads.

But once it is extended into the city center, there is no way it will be able to keep up this level of speed and frequency.

That is why the Luas airport proposal has a phase 2, to put the line underground between Stephens Green and Broombridge, that would eliminate most of the difficult, slow, inner city movements and allow for much higher speeds and frequency and thus capacity.

However it isn't really clear how much this phase 2 would cost and even if it would get built. I expect doing phase 2 would push up the total cost of the project to almost the same as Metro North.

The current morning peak frequency is not even every 3 minutes - it could certainly cope with that.

There are some very sweeping statements being made, without examining what the exact service level is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Gael23 wrote: »
    A Luas linking the City Centre and Airport would be a goldmine
    and a metro would be even better. luas is just not able to handle the capacity required by a airport city link

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭brandodub

At best the Luas line to the airport should be a complementary form of transport. It is at rush hour capacity on both lines now. Heavy rail via DU would copperfasten Dublin Airport and the city's recovery and hence the country. There is no point in building another over capacity and slow Luas line IMHO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

If MN is a non runner and my guess would be that it is, then I would support DART spur and the luas line. I agree that it is settling but I suspect it is all that will be built.

Building another Luas line also expands the network, I would tweak the route as I thing linking in where it does is unnecessarily long, I would try and get a more direct route to join up with BXD. When it meets BXD it should share the city part but this could limit capacity. I would also have it split from the green line at either Pearce or Suffolk street and continue to ringsend or ballsbridge.

Looking at the full timetable on the National Journey Planner, green line trams serve Sandyford inbound between 07:30 and 08:45 as follows:

07:33, 07:38, 07:42; 07:45; 07:49; 07:52; 07:56; 07:59; 08:03; 08:06; 08:09; 08:13; 08:17; 08:21; 08:24; 08:28; 08:32; 08:38; 08:43

So sardine can conditions preventing boarding at the inner stops doesn't happen at those times any more?

Banjoxed wrote: »
    So sardine can conditions preventing boarding at the inner stops doesn't happen at those times any more?

There is scope for running more teams - that's my point.

That line is not being run at full capacity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

A very sad thread. 40 odd years later and nothing has really changed that much.

Grandeeod wrote: »

Well no, for the simple reason that Official Ireland doesn't seem to want to commit to any project that doesn't involve red lines on maps that can be moved for fun and profit.

Banjoxed wrote: »
    Well no, for the simple reason that Official Ireland doesn't seem to want to commit to any project that doesn't involve red lines on maps that can be moved for fun and profit.

I don't think you really disagreed with what I said.

I don't think you really disagreed with what I said.

You're right, I don't. I've spent a lot of time since 1979 seeing schemes come and go, and seeing some right messing and interference going on in the meantime. We're not done with the messing yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭pclive

Dont worry there is an election coming up there could be a change of government which will mean a whole new plan and we will be back to square one all over again!

• Advertisement

pclive wrote: »
    Dont worry there is an election coming up there could be a change of government which will mean a whole new plan and we will be back to square one all over again!

Well if one option comes to pass we'll be worrying more about getting money out of ATMs than trains, buses or trams!

The current morning peak frequency is not even every 3 minutes - it could certainly cope with that.

I expect 3 minutes would be approaching maximum capacity for inner city running.

Think about it, lets say you have a tram leave every 2 minutes at Sandyford. No problem, they fly along the segregated outskirts of the Green Line at 50+ KM/h. But then they hit the city center and have to slow down significantly, due to on street running, tight curves. Think of all the traffic lights they have to cross, and stop at for at least a minute or two. Now think of all the people and cars that continue threw red lights.

With a 3 minute or less frequency you would quiet quickly have a queue of trams at traffic lights in the city center. If you have ever been on or seen the red Luas line going through the city center, you would know this to be very true. It crawls through the city at a very slow space.

There is no hope in hell in increasing frequency to the Green Luas line beyond Stephens Green once the Luas BXD is built.

Metro North on the other hand was specced to have trams almost twice as long as Luas and operate at frequencies of up to one every 90 seconds! Simply no comparison in terms of capacity.

I expect 3 minutes would be approaching maximum capacity for inner city running.

Think about it, lets say you have a tram leave every 2 minutes at Sandyford. No problem, they fly along the segregated outskirts of the Green Line at 50+ KM/h. But then they hit the city center and have to slow down significantly, due to on street running, tight curves. Think of all the traffic lights they have to cross, and stop at for at least a minute or two. Now think of all the people and cars that continue threw red lights.

With a 3 minute or less frequency you would quiet quickly have a queue of trams at traffic lights in the city center. If you have ever been on or seen the red Luas line going through the city center, you would know this to be very true. It crawls through the city at a very slow space.

There is no hope in hell in increasing frequency to the Green Luas line beyond Stephens Green once the Luas BXD is built.

Metro North on the other hand was specced to have trams almost twice as long as Luas and operate at frequencies of up to one every 90 seconds! Simply no comparison in terms of capacity.

Look - someone said that the Green Line had reached maximum capacity. I've then listed the morning departures which show that they are not operating at the theoretical maximum of every 3 minutes. Therefore it has not reached maximum capacity.

Going forward, the plan is for a Green line tram every 3 minutes at peak from Sandyford inbound, with trams alternating between Brides Glen-Parnell, and Sandyford-Broombridge, meaning a 6 minute frequency north of Parnell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Exactly. From Harcourt St the Green Line is a dedicated track along the old Harcourt St line, potentially trams of any length could run at high frequency. But this dedicated infrastructure is to the throttled to the capacity of the city centre section!!

Look - someone said that the Green Line had reached maximum capacity. I've then listed the morning departures which show that they are not operating at the theoretical maximum of every 3 minutes. Therefore it has not reached maximum capacity.

Going forward, the plan is for a Green line tram every 3 minutes at peak from Sandyford inbound, with trams alternating between Brides Glen-Parnell, and Sandyford-Broombridge, meaning a 6 minute frequency north of Parnell.

And my point is that a 3 minute frequency is likely to be insufficient to service, Dublin Airport and Swords and all the places in between.

Swords is the 6th largest urban area in Ireland and is clearly a commuter town of Dublin, yet it has zero rail based transport!

It is expected to grow to 100,000 from it's current 42,000 by 2035.

Add to that the fact that for a lot of the journey it will be going through empty fields, places which if it is built, should clearly be designated for high density housing and development and also an M50 park and ride.

Luas D2 might just about be able to handle current loads, but it doesn't have a hope in hell in handling the big expected population increase in Swords or intensive developments along the route. It just isn't future proofed for that, like MN is.

And my point is that a 3 minute frequency is likely to be insufficient to service, Dublin Airport and Swords and all the places in between.

Swords is the 6th largest urban area in Ireland and is clearly a commuter town of Dublin, yet it has zero rail based transport!

It is expected to grow to 100,000 from it's current 42,000 by 2035.

Add to that the fact that for a lot of the journey it will be going through empty fields, places which if it is built, should clearly be designated for high density housing and development and also an M50 park and ride.

Luas D2 might just about be able to handle current loads, but it doesn't have a hope in hell in handling the big expected population increase in Swords or intensive developments along the route. It just isn't future proofed for that, like MN is.

That's all a different question. I've not made any comment about the Swords/Airport corridor.

I was correcting a factual error that was made by another poster regarding the capacity on the Green Line, because clearly there is spare capacity.

Nim wrote: »

MN and DU are dead in the water. It's token gestures from here on in. All of this was flagged years ago along with reopening to Navan, etc. etc. etc. Irish politicians just don't do really big rail projects. It took them over 10 years to grasp light rail and now it's their accepted panacea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭markpb

MN and DU are dead in the water. It's token gestures from here on in. All of this was flagged years ago along with reopening to Navan, etc. etc. etc. Irish politicians just don't do really big rail projects. It took them over 10 years to grasp light rail and now it's their accepted panacea.

I don't think it's heavy rail that killed those projects, I think it's the fact that they were meant to go underground. As soon as they were announced, the entire county (including most of Dublin) proclaimed simultaneously: "sure it's not London or New York, we don't need a Tube over here.... Getting ahead of ourselves.... Celtic tiger project ... Gold plating.... What about the west..." And the politicians listened.

markpb wrote: »
    I don't think it's heavy rail that killed those projects, I think it's the fact that they were meant to go underground. As soon as they were announced, the entire county (including most of Dublin) proclaimed simultaneously: "sure it's not London or New York, we don't need a Tube over here.... Getting ahead of ourselves.... Celtic tiger project ... Gold plating.... What about the west..." And the politicians listened.

Yep, you're right. I didn't articulate it well. The underground aspect is the clincher. Underground is BIG thinking. From here on in it's surface light rail or a bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

No difference to many other countries , see UKs cross rail project. Etc

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

BoatMad wrote: »

But Cross Rail 2 is now in planning before no 1 is finished.

monument wrote: »
    But Cross Rail 2 is now in planning before no 1 is finished.

I think the fundamental problem is that big chunks of the professional classes really don't understand why public transport should be anything other than a bus, as a residual for those too young/old/otherwise unable to drive a car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭coolperson05

I think a solution to the capacity issue on the 'new' Green line is to terminate some services at Stephen's Green and continue others onward. If they are going for the 3 minute frequency, then it won't be feasible to shuttle a tram every 3 minutes through College Green without bringing the entire city centre to a standstill. This is equally true if (or when) it is extended to the Airport/Swords/Afar. There will be have to services that only go to a certain length and turn around. I do accept other posters opinion that 'Luas for everywhere' is not the correct solution...but with the Cross City underway, and (supposedly) painless link out the Airport in people's heads; it is likely to be here long before any underground solution due to it's 'staged-construction' approach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I left Brussels 15 years ago. In that time, they have reconfigured their metro system, built extra stations, reorganised the buses and some of the trams and are a year or so behind but actively building an RER system. They have a far more intelligent fare system and their smart cards work an absolute treat.

I'm aware that the economy in Ireland collapsed in 2008 but I think a core contributor to our problems is less the economy and more the yerrah it'll do grand attitude.

One of my main criticisms of Ireland and Irish politics is the complete lack of vision. I don't care if the UK's cross rail project runs late. It is no excuse to say "yerrah we're incompetent, but we are not alone so it's grand.".

Can we please be different to other countries? Can we build sensible public transport, reconfigure the city centre to make it more pleasant, and integrate the different transport modes more effectively?

Dublin is a chaotic mess at the moment. I don't think it has not been a chaotic mess since I've been living here, both this stretch of time and the previous one. But it doesn't have to be that way, could be the coolest city in the world if we worked to make it so. It's got stunning buildings, and O'Connell Street could be an extraordinary plaza with some planning.

Rather than saying "other countries are no better". We could do a lot better than we're doing.

Travel more and learn how it's done in other places. Not everywhere, but it is done without 40 odd years of BS in relation to one city and one fundamental project.

Your UK example is rather disrespectfull of a nation that has proved itself at being ground breaking before Ireland even considered exploring the possibility of a small underground project in its capital city. When 40 plus years is factored in, then money is not an excuse.

Travel more and learn how it's done in other places. Not everywhere, but it is done without 40 odd years of BS in relation to one city and one fundamental project.

Your UK example is rather disrespectfull of a nation that has proved itself at being ground breaking before Ireland even considered exploring the possibility of a small underground project in its capital city. When 40 plus years is factored in, then money is not an excuse.

Sorry UK.

WCML upgrade fiasco
    various tube extension fiasco
    Hs2 fiasco

We're only in the halfpenny place

Sorry UK.

WCML upgrade fiasco
    Hs2 fiasco

What you are putting up as a defence is light years ahead of Ireland and on a different planet/era. This thread is about a mickey mouse underground section of railway that has been reinvented over and over again. Your comparisons sound like some kind of Irish politicical justification for its own failure.

What you are putting up as a defence is light years ahead of Ireland and on a different planet/era. This thread is about a mickey mouse underground section of railway that has been reinvented over and over again. Your comparisons sound like some kind of Irish politicical justification for its own failure.

In the context of Ireland , both DU and MN are big capital projects. I do not see we benefit from jumping the gun, Irish rails ability to deliver quality rail service is very much in doubt in my opinion.

• Advertisement

In the context of Ireland , both DU and MN are big capital projects. I do not see we benefit from jumping the gun, Irish rails ability to deliver quality rail service is very much in doubt in my opinion.

I was only ever speaking in the context of Ireland and over the last 40 plus years and in relation to this thread. Your comparisons are irrelavent.

I was only ever speaking in the context of Ireland and over the last 40 plus years and in relation to this thread. Your comparisons are irrelavent.

I was demonstrating by example how many public transport project run into the sand from time to time. We are not alone in that regard.

look at the spectacular success of the motorway building programme for example

I was demonstrating by example how many public transport project run into the sand from time to time. We are not alone in that regard.

look at the spectacular success of the motorway building programme for example

In rail terms, you are out of context, because its one underground project doing the rounds for 40 plus years. Thats a fact. I'm sure I don't have to explain how it's been reinvented over the years?

The motorway building programme has nothing more to do with this, with the exception that it was done, as roads are always preferred by Irish Politicos. But the Irish motorway systyem was actually a good idea.

Calina wrote: »
    I left Brussels 15 years ago. In that time, they have reconfigured their metro system, built extra stations, reorganised the buses and some of the trams and are a year or so behind but actively building an RER system. They have a far more intelligent fare system and their smart cards work an absolute treat.

I'm aware that the economy in Ireland collapsed in 2008 but I think a core contributor to our problems is less the economy and more the yerrah it'll do grand attitude.

One of my main criticisms of Ireland and Irish politics is the complete lack of vision. I don't care if the UK's cross rail project runs late. It is no excuse to say "yerrah we're incompetent, but we are not alone so it's grand.".

Can we please be different to other countries? Can we build sensible public transport, reconfigure the city centre to make it more pleasant, and integrate the different transport modes more effectively?

Dublin is a chaotic mess at the moment. I don't think it has not been a chaotic mess since I've been living here, both this stretch of time and the previous one. But it doesn't have to be that way, could be the coolest city in the world if we worked to make it so. It's got stunning buildings, and O'Connell Street could be an extraordinary plaza with some planning.

Rather than saying "other countries are no better". We could do a lot better than we're doing.

I wouldn't even mind if we compared ourselves to decent examples. In terms of public transport we generally just ape what provincial cities in the UK have.

Sorry UK.

WCML upgrade fiasco
    Hs2 fiasco

HS2 is a fiasco? how?

Remember a while ago Leo said that IÉ were re-writing the business case for DARTu? Was that so they could change their conclusion to 'we might be alright without it, recommend using Phoenix Park tunnel isntead' or was it simply a case of more jobs for consultants. Are we to expect an outcome for said business case before sept?

Remember a while ago Leo said that IÉ were re-writing the business case for DARTu? Was that so they could change their conclusion to 'we might be alright without it, recommend using Phoenix Park tunnel isntead' or was it simply a case of more jobs for consultants. Are we to expect an outcome for said business case before sept?

I don't think you will find that IE have any appetite for replacing DART Underground with the Phoenix Park Tunnel.

Quite the opposite.

I don't think you will find that IE have any appetite for replacing DART Underground with the Phoenix Park Tunnel.

Quite the opposite.

Of course, but IÉ didn't want the Western rail corridor re-opened either, they got it, and had to write a report with Aecom about how it 'may be viable' into the bargain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Of course, but IÉ didn't want the Western rail corridor re-opened either, they got it, and had to write a report with Aecom about how it 'may be viable' into the bargain.

Please can we not further sully the already terrible mood in this thread with talk of another dismal failure in the Irish transport network.

WRC was the biggest waste of money in modern memory. Well, until Irish Water came along, anyway. I've read of as few as FIVE people on a service.

Well we have 2 months until a decision on DARTu. Lets just keep our fingers crossed. Also remember there are competing interests. Galway(pop. 75,000) wants a €700,000 ring road instead of a much cheaper improved bus network.

We're spending 700,000 on a motorway between Tuam and Gort.

There will be demands for €1.5bn for the M20, M40 and Dunkettle interchange projects.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement