Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HPAT and Medicine 2016**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭medhopeful16

15MrC wrote: »
    Last year was somewhere between 2am and 6am if I remember correctly.

Thank God at least we won't be waiting around all day for them to arrive, I'm dreading it enough as it is

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Theboybang

It was 1:06 last year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭DownOneTourist

Theboybang wrote: »

I'm going to stay up for sure. We have to go into school that day so at least it won't be a surprise. I'm going to do terrible I know it. It will be mortifying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭WorthlessPeon

Haha that's the type of precision I was looking for
    I'm going to stay up for sure. We have to go into school that day so at least it won't be a surprise. I'm going to do terrible I know it. It will be mortifying

Everyone feels the same way, you might surprise yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

Realistically you have no idea how you did, that's the nature of the test. Try to relax and do anything to distract yourself between now and then so you don't have to think about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭yoyojc

I was 6 short last year and repeated it this year so hopefully it'll all work out! Any other repeaters here?

I was six off last year my first choice... I worked really hard this year. Found s1 way way harder but s3 a lot better!

I thought I did shocking last year and turned out not to be too far off so you honestly never know!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭yoyojc

Hoping for a nice surprise that morning wouldn't that be an amazing feeling!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 David1997

1:06 a.m. I assume? :/

David1997 wrote: »
    1:06 a.m. I assume? :/

Yes haha

Starting to feel sick at the thought of the results Monday. Looks like a few sleepless nights ahead :(

• Advertisement

Starting to feel sick at the thought of the results Monday. Looks like a few sleepless nights ahead :(

there's going to be a disproportionate amount of people here getting over 200. i guarantee it. I'm afraid that I will only get 2 figures

there's going to be a disproportionate amount of people here getting over 200. i guarantee it. I'm afraid that I will only get 2 figures

Over 200? Doubt that somehow but I can only speak for myself!

Was wondering by the way, why is everyone putting so much emphasis on the percentile? Is the point-score not more relevant to whether or not you get your course or am I missing something about the percentile? :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 granthamx

Was wondering by the way, why is everyone putting so much emphasis on the percentile? Is the point-score not more relevant to whether or not you get your course or am I missing something about the percentile? :/

The percentile is more important because it's a reflection of how you did in comparison to everyone else, which is essentially what the CAO is all about. Points go up and down each year based on supply and demand, you can't just assume they'll be the same as last year, especially not when they depend on two exams as opposed to just the LC.

For example in 2014 they changed the weighting so that S3 was only worth 20% as opposed to 33.3%, because they found that people were able to improve their S3 score significantly if they studied for it, in comparison to S1 and S2. This meant that the hpat scores dropped by about 15 points overall, so people thought they had done worse than they actually had. If they'd looked at their percentile checked the previous year's score for that percentile they would've had a clearer idea of how they'd done ... Anyway, it didn't really make a difference because medicine dropped by almost 20 points across the board that year as a result of the change of weighting and subsequent drop in hpat scores.

So yeah sorry this is long and rambly but hope I've kind of explained why your percentile is more important than your score ... Good luck to everyone with the results next week :)

granthamx wrote: »
    The percentile is more important because it's a reflection of how you did in comparison to everyone else, which is essentially what the CAO is all about. Points go up and down each year based on supply and demand, you can't just assume they'll be the same as last year, especially not when they depend on two exams as opposed to just the LC.

For example in 2014 they changed the weighting so that S3 was only worth 20% as opposed to 33.3%, because they found that people were able to improve their S3 score significantly if they studied for it, in comparison to S1 and S2. This meant that the hpat scores dropped by about 15 points overall, so people thought they had done worse than they actually had. If they'd looked at their percentile checked the previous year's score for that percentile they would've had a clearer idea of how they'd done ... Anyway, it didn't really make a difference because medicine dropped by almost 20 points across the board that year as a result of the change of weighting and subsequent drop in hpat scores.

So yeah sorry this is long and rambly but hope I've kind of explained why your percentile is more important than your score ... Good luck to everyone with the results next week :)

Thanks that makes sense now I should've thought of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭nandoslover

Do people think points are going to increase or decrease?

Do people think points are going to increase or decrease?

acer has complete control over that. they can keep it the 50th percentile the exact same as last year or change it if they want. If a question was considered too easy they may make it be worth only have marks, if a question was very difficult it could get significantly more marks. I don't think anyone can predict what acer will do. Regardless of what they do the same amount of people will get medicine so does it really matter if the points go up or down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭WorthlessPeon

Hope everyone is feeling prepared for an interesting night tomorrow. Kinda weird how I've waited years for this moment but it's probably just gonna be me drunkenly clicking on a link at 1am and crying

Hope everyone is feeling prepared for an interesting night tomorrow. Kinda weird how I've waited years for this moment but it's probably just gonna be me drunkenly clicking on a link at 1am and crying

we will all be here with you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Gallagher1

I was in this position twice, it is an absolutely horrible wait and even worse so for repeaters so I have real sympathy for everyone waiting for results..

Best of luck to everyone and just know (especially for first timers) it is not the end of the world if you dont get x percentile. You can always try again like a lot of us who got in eventually did :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Wanderer41

Good luck to everyone on Monday. Don't forget there are other options if you don't do as well as you hoped. Don't change your CAO preferences based on your result, but have backups down. Consider taking a year out to repeat the HPAT and work, at least then you don't have to pay fees if you do a year of another course.

• Advertisement

Wanderer41 wrote: »
    Good luck to everyone on Monday. Don't forget there are other options if you don't do as well as you hoped. Don't change your CAO preferences based on your result, but have backups down. Consider taking a year out to repeat the HPAT and work, at least then you don't have to pay fees if you do a year of another course.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

Gallagher1 wrote: »
    +1

I thought that option was no longer available. Have to do hpat and leaving cert same year

I thought that option was no longer available. Have to do hpat and leaving cert same year

I'm not sure how it will apply next year with the points changes or whatever but that's what I'm doing this year!

You have to do the HPAT the year you want to enter Medicine.

Not necessarily the year you do the LC. There will be a report in 2018 when they may change this but until then, you can take a year out and repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 taro

Gallagher1 wrote: »
    You have to do the HPAT the year you want to enter Medicine.

Not necessarily the year you do the LC. There will be a report in 2018 when they may change this but until then, you can take a year out and repeat.

Where did you hear about that? I can't find anything that says 2018 is the year they change it.

Struggling to even watch the match without thinking about results. Just wish I could fast-forward about 12 hours and I should know, whether it be good or bad!

Struggling to even watch the match without thinking about results. Just wish I could fast-forward about 12 hours and I should know, whether it be good or bad!

If I do well I won't be able to sleep so I'll stay up and watch GOT. If I don't do well I won't be able to sleep so I'll stay up watch GOT. Still want to do well! All I know is that I'm probably going to be watching GOT tomorrow AM. There is no middleground :P

If I do well I won't be able to sleep so I'll stay up and watch GOT. If I don't do well I won't be able to sleep so I'll stay up watch GOT. Still want to do well! All I know is that I'm probably going to be watching GOT tomorrow AM. There is no middleground :P

Precisely my plan! Even though GOT demands my full attention usually so will probably end up re-watching anything I watch tonight :P

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

This rumour seems to go round every year and hasn't been true thus far, so I'd say you're fine.

For everyone getting their results tomorrow good luck and what ever happens don't take medicine off your CAO. Also remember that the percentile is a lot more relevant than the points.

So good luck and may the odds be even in your favour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭IrishLassie26

I'm a candidate for next years HPAT and was just wondering when ye started studying for the HPAT? Also how did you manage the timing for each section? Any tips for practicing?

Thanks and I hope you are all happy tomorrow! :D Best of luck!

Advertisement