Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HPAT and Medicine 2016**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭nandoslover

I don't think they're available. Surely it's impossible for points to go up after the decrease in demand unless there has been an overall reduction in places???

Yeah exactly, although those medicine figures released by CAO also include grad med, would that have an effect?

Yeah and there hasn't been a reduction in places from what I've heard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭WorthlessPeon

Yeah exactly, although those medicine figures released by CAO also include grad med, would that have an effect?

Yeah and there hasn't been a reduction in places from what I've heard!

Are you still going for Engineering or are you a fellow med hopeful?

Are you still going for Engineering or are you a fellow med hopeful?

Oh that's my sister who decided to go for eng., we share this account
    I've always been a med hopeful :)

I wonder where people got the statistics about the trinity application decease from? Can't find it on their website?

I've always been a med hopeful :)

I wonder where people got the statistics about the trinity application decease from? Can't find it on their website?
    Oh I see, good luck tomorrow then! I'm in the same boat.

I got the TCD stats from here
    https://www.tcd.ie/news_events/articles/increase-in-cao-applications-for-trinity-courses-for-2016/6537

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Medhopeful123

Hey guys,
    So I passed the Hpat with 89th percentile but my results today were not what I was hoping for. It is over 500 but not enough realistically for NUIG or cork I'd say. Did anyone on this site repeat this year? Do you think it's worth it ? Is it really tough and did ye go up in points? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭JC43

Hey guys,
    So I passed the Hpat with 89th percentile but my results today were not what I was hoping for. It is over 500 but not enough realistically for NUIG or cork I'd say. Did anyone on this site repeat this year? Do you think it's worth it ? Is it really tough and did ye go up in points? Thanks

I'm the same . Got 94th and 530 points . Had ucd and TCd down. Didn't have gal or cork

I'm gonna miss out, but only just. Oh the pain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

If anyone is feeling **** now after missing out, I missed out on NUIG by 2 points in 2011 and am now in the middle of graduate entry after having the most amazing past 5 years in GEM and a previous degree. It allowed me to do things I would've never got to do in medicine and as a direct consequence of my path in life has me a job in one of the most prestigious hospitals in a world before I even graduate.

This advice means nothing now because at the time I felt like all hope was lost and wanted medicine immediately rather than waiting 3-4 years, but if it's what you want then you'll get it

• Registered Users Posts: 47 echolima

I might just scrape Galway, the dream of Ucd is dead though, I have 545 and 89th percentile (179) so 724. Praying for an unlikely ten point drop :P

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Omedicineg

echolima wrote: »
    I might just scrape Galway, the dream of Ucd is dead though, I have 545 and 89th percentile (179) so 724. Praying for an unlikely ten point drop :P

Applications for med this year have dropped on last year so anyone who is borderline on last year's points don't lose hope

• Advertisement

Omedicineg wrote: »
    Applications for med this year have dropped on last year so anyone who is borderline on last year's points don't lose hope

Would any of you guys repeat? I am dreading going back for another year and having to do it all again including the Hpat.

Would any of you guys repeat? I am dreading going back for another year and having to do it all again including the Hpat.
    I'd repeat the HPAT but at 550 I don't think it would be worth my while repeating the LC.

I currently work out as having 737 ( 605 and 176) , do you think trinity could jump from 733 to 737? I really want to go there :/

MCash123 wrote: »
    I currently work out as having 737 ( 605 and 176) , do you think trinity could jump from 733 to 737? I really want to go there :/
    It's due for a drop I think, big congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭F.Grimes

The majority of med students repeat, at least the HPAT. Really is something you have to do if you want Medicine

People around this time start to suggest GEM as an alternative to repeating. I would have to say that repeating your LC, and/or HPAT, would be far more beneficial than aiming for GEM.

Not only is the cost of GEM extraordinary, with the changes to the allocation of intern places, you really are at a disadvantage from the beginning.

I would be looking at your LC score and seeing if it could be improved upon. Barring in mind that HPAT is a lot easier to increase dramatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 wyoml

Trying to decide between repeating or following the graduate entry path. Hope everyone is happy with their results

• Registered Users Posts: 41 David1997

I got 540 today and with 189 in the HPAT I've a combined score of 729. Is it safe to be somewhat confident in getting medicine in NUIG?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Gallagher1

F.Grimes wrote: »
    The majority of med students repeat, at least the HPAT. Really is something you have to do if you want Medicine
    People around this time start to suggest GEM as an alternative to repeating. I would have to say that repeating your LC, and/or HPAT, would be far more beneficial than aiming for GEM.

Not only is the cost of GEM extraordinary, with the changes to the allocation of intern places, you really are at a disadvantage from the beginning.

I would be looking at your LC score and seeing if it could be improved upon. Barring in mind that HPAT is a lot easier to increase dramatically.

+1

Hey guys,

Honestly I would say your best bet it is to repeat. My friend repeated this year and did so much better. At the beginning its hard but once you're in there, you get with the flow of things and medicine should be your motivation. You seem like a smart person so you shouldn't have a problem.

89 in hpat is amazing, so repeating that shouldn't be an issue to you either. I think repeating is your best option. If you take another course, you could repeat hpat but idk if that'll get you in and then there always graduate.
    I'd repeat the HPAT but at 550 I don't think it would be worth my while repeating the LC.

Definitely repeat the hpat, you can really improve if you try. You could take up a course if you want but some people take a year out, get a job etc to save some money!

For those considering grad entry, I don't think it's as bad as a lot of people are making it out to be. I haven't done it & hope to get med but I've talked to people about it.

Having a preliminary degree and research done in a field is quite impressive to interviewers. I have a relative who is involved in recruiting doctors as consultants etc. and all candidates obviously have a medicine degree and relevant experience, so then they look at research/publications etc. If you take a science based degree, research projects always come up and form part of your final year.

The GAMSAT can be studied for and you can do it a couple times afaik. Recent studies by RCSI show grad med students perform as well if not better than undergrad meds.
    http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/education/going-to-college/graduate-entry-may-be-the-best-medicine-for-doctors-31458533.html

It takes maybe 2 years more than undergrad, which on the grand scheme of things isn't a huge amount. You also get a chance to enjoy college and not go through those long med hours and study for a few years.

If you think you can finance it, It is an option to give a second thought too. Just an opinion! But if you can repeat LC or HPAT, maybe try that first, since it will save time and money!

• Advertisement

Definitely repeat the hpat, you can really improve if you try. You could take up a course if you want but some people take a year out, get a job etc to save some money!

I was in a similar situation. Think I got something like 555 in the LC first time around and 170ish HPAT. I ended up repeating both the LC and the HPAT. HPAT went up by over 30 points wheres LC increased by I think 5. The reason I decided to repeat both was a) because I was lucky enough to be able to afford repeating both, and b) I just couldn't face missing out again, and I know I would have been gutted if I repeated the HPAT and sat in a random course all year, just to miss out again by a point or two. The way I saw it, there were points to gain in both so I did both again.

But if your LC is really good, and you are happy to take the risk, by advice would be to look into courses that will allow you to transfer into 2nd Med in UCD if you improve your HPAT.

Going out and getting a job to, is also a good idea, if you think you can manage it Just be mindful that it can be quite easy, especially when you are repeating to get complacent and think it will be fine because you have already done pretty well once before. You really should be working just as hard the second time around.
    Having a preliminary degree and research done in a field is quite impressive to interviewers. I have a relative who is involved in recruiting doctors as consultants etc. and all candidates obviously have a medicine degree and relevant experience, so then they look at research/publications etc. If you take a science based degree, research projects always come up and form part of your final year.

I think that is a little misleading. It is true that when you are applying for training schemes, sections include research, and additional degrees. However, it really is important that the research is relevant to the area you are applying for. For example, if you are applying for a Derm scheme. They really won't be too impressed with a research project you did back in 4th year of a science degree.

And in terms of additional degrees, they would be more looking at MSc's and PHDs rather than another B.Sc. And again, these degrees really should be in some way related to the field in which you are expressing an interest.

An example here, if you were applying for an oncology training scheme. They would prefer to see someone who has done maybe the Translational oncology M.Sc in TCD, rather than a General science B.Sc which really has very little too do with Oncology.

Also the most important change that has occured that most people especially prospective students are not talking about is the change in the allocation of intern positions. Currently all GEM grads are ranked below the lowest of the CAO applicants! Which really could be a massive disadvantage.

Honestly I would say your best bet it is to repeat. My friend repeated this year and did so much better. At the beginning its hard but once you're in there, you get with the flow of things and medicine should be your motivation. You seem like a smart person so you shouldn't have a problem.

89 in hpat is amazing, so repeating that shouldn't be an issue to you either. I think repeating is your best option. If you take another course, you could repeat hpat but idk if that'll get you in and then there always graduate.

Thanks 😊 It's so hard to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

I think that is a little misleading. It is true that when you are applying for training schemes, sections include research, and additional degrees. However, it really is important that the research is relevant to the area you are applying for. For example, if you are applying for a Derm scheme. They really won't be too impressed with a research project you did back in 4th year of a science degree.

And in terms of additional degrees, they would be more looking at MSc's and PHDs rather than another B.Sc. And again, these degrees really should be in some way related to the field in which you are expressing an interest.

An example here, if you were applying for an oncology training scheme. They would prefer to see someone who has done maybe the Translational oncology M.Sc in TCD, rather than a General science B.Sc which really has very little too do with Oncology.

Also the most important change that has occured that most people especially prospective students are not talking about is the change in the allocation of intern positions. Currently all GEM grads are ranked below the lowest of the CAO applicants! Which really could be a massive disadvantage.
    Just to clarify on the final point, it's incorrect. As a GEM we have received direct clarification from the medical school that there is still no distinction between GEM & UEM in intern allocation. Previously intern allocation discriminated based on EEA/Non-EEA status, but now discriminates based on CAO/Non-CAO status. Both GEM & UEM are CAO applicants.

I would still recommend to repeat the HPAT if you want medicine, I did. But don't be disheartened if you don't get it.

Anita Blow wrote: »
    Just to clarify on the final point, it's incorrect. As a GEM we have received direct clarification from the medical school that there is still no distinction between GEM & UEM in intern allocation. Previously intern allocation discriminated based on EEA/Non-EEA status, but now discriminates based on CAO/Non-CAO status. Both GEM & UEM are CAO applicants.

I would still recommend to repeat the HPAT if you want medicine, I did. But don't be disheartened if you don't get it.

Oh my apologies then, I was going from information here.. //http://www.imo.ie/i-am-a/student/intern-allocation/index.xml

And assumed that GEM was not CAO related. Thanks for clearing that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Wanderer41

+1 on repeating. Honestly, one year is so little in the grand scheme of things. A lot easier than doing a degree for a few years, studying for the gamsat, and then 4 years of graduate medicine. You can always take a year out if you don't want to go to college and have the possibility of paying fees for first year if you switch to medicine. But to anyone thinking about options, I would highly recommend repeating.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Doctorhopeful

This isn't quite true. In ucd i would say no more than 10% in my year are repeats, and only a few repeated the LC. It seems a lot higher in other colleges though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

Thought id throw in my two cents here for those who think they havent gotten enough points for medicine - I do Biomedical Science in UCD and about 50% of my class in 1st year were people who missed out on medicine. They repeated the HPAT, and a large majority of them got good enough scores to do medicine, mainly in Galway (also ucd and rcsi and england). 3 people got UCD and transferred directly into 2nd year of Medicine in UCD, and as far as im away the Galway transfers also got to skip a year!
    The people (few) who didnt get the marks dropped out to repeat the LC as far as im aware.

Just another option if your HPAT score let you down rather than LC points!

(after typing this, i remembered the CAO isnt open anymore (i think? its been a while) but Im sure other courses might be similar!)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Please don't do this, not only is it against Boards rules but it can cause endless confusion and arguments (which is the main reason it is against Boards rules! ... "Why did you ban me? ... Oh that wasn't me, that was my sister!!")

Accounts are free. ;)

This isn't quite true. In ucd i would say no more than 10% in my year are repeats, and only a few repeated the LC. It seems a lot higher in other colleges though.

In Tcd I would say it's roughly 50%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 wyoml

Planning on repeating the hpat but with 550 points in not sure is it worth repeating the leaving cert?

Advertisement