Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HPAT and Medicine 2016**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Theboybang

What's everyone predicting for the points this year? Read an article earlier today about the significant increase in CAO applicants on last year and an expected surge in points. Hopefully this won't apply too much to med...especially because its my second time applying! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Consonata

Theboybang wrote: »
    What's everyone predicting for the points this year? Read an article earlier today about the significant increase in CAO applicants on last year and an expected surge in points. Hopefully this won't apply too much to med...especially because its my second time applying! :mad:

I could see this being the first year that it breaks into the 750s though I really really hope not. Med is my top four and 220 being a necessity to get my course is really stressful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Gallagher1

Consonata wrote: »
    I could see this being the first year that it breaks into the 750s though I really really hope not. Med is my top four and 220 being a necessity to get my course is really stressful.

What are you smoking? 750?!? Are you trying to tell me 590 LC and 97th Percentile HPAT is going to be the cut off for Medicine??

I would wager you could count on one hand the amount of people who got 220 last year too.

Gallagher1 wrote: »
    What are you smoking? 750?!? Are you trying to tell me 590 LC and 97th Percentile HPAT is going to be the cut off for Medicine??

I would wager you could count on one hand the amount of people who got 220 last year too.

Not the cut off, but the top points for medicine. It has gotten very close in the past. Trinity was 748 in 2013

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Gallagher1

Consonata wrote: »
    Not the cut off, but the top points for medicine. It has gotten very close in the past. Trinity was 748 in 2013

Yeah back in 2013 when HPAT scores (Pre marking scheme alteration) were on average 15 points higher than they are now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Lucky Leprechaun

Hello Everyone, Has anyone done the Institutes prep course? What were the people like? Was it beneficial?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 futuredoctor96

Hey guys, 99th percentile, second year UCD med student here just checking in. Hope the mocks are all going alright (I wouldn't worry too much about them), if you're really going for medicine, focus on your HPAT for the time being.

If you have any questions just give us a PM or ask in the thread. Keep working away because honestly, it's so so worth the effort!

futuredoctor96

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭WorthlessPeon

Hey guys, 99th percentile, second year UCD med student here just checking in. Hope the mocks are all going alright (I wouldn't worry too much about them), if you're really going for medicine, focus on your HPAT for the time being.

If you have any questions just give us a PM or ask in the thread. Keep working away because honestly, it's so so worth the effort!

futuredoctor96
    Any advice? Really doubting myself after these mocks..

• Registered Users Posts: 5 futuredoctor96

Any advice? Really doubting myself after these mocks..

Don't let the mocks dishearten you right now, the real focus should be the HPAT because it's coming up fairly soon and actually counts for something. People can go up substantially from their mocks and they're only there as a tool to help you prepare for the real thing, to find weak spots and so on.

So what I would say is remember what's important. The mocks don't mean anything when you're holding your real Leaving Cert results in your hand, or opening your HPAT results.
    Good Luck with it all!

futuredoctor96

• Registered Users Posts: 15 FirstDraft1

Hello Everyone, Has anyone done the Institutes prep course? What were the people like? Was it beneficial?
    I did it. I found it to be decent enough but I would have to admit that it's a pale comparison to the course we all know! I decided to do it simply to see different questions types. The mock exam had a very unique section 3. I am used to getting >20/30 on M******y practice exams and I also got 24/30 in the mock exam at the day course for M******y, yet I only got 13/30 in the Institute's version! I just hope the real HPAT is more compatible with what I'm used to. Fingers crossed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 meeemsd

does anyone have any tips for section three? I seem to be alright for section 1 and 2 but three is absolutely doing my head in. I have the M******y package, if anyone has any advice on how I should structure my revision for the next 3 weeks I'd really really appreciate it.

Hello everyone, How do you calculate your hpat score into points? How does that system work out of the 110 questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Doctorhopeful

Hello everyone, How do you calculate your hpat score into points? How does that system work out of the 110 questions?

you cannot calculate an accurate score as, on the day, acer will weight different questions depending on how people answered them. Moreover, it's the percentile which you attain that is key in the the results, not necessarily the raw score.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ConnorGriffin

Hey :) doing the m******y course this Saturday and Sunday in Dublin, just wondering if anyone one else is heading up as I'm the only one in my school doing it :)

Hey everyone! What will you do with your phone on the day? Are you going to bring a bag with you or just carry everything in your pocket?

Hey everyone! What will you do with your phone on the day? Are you going to bring a bag with you or just carry everything in your pocket?

If you carry your phone on you i believe you'll be require to turn it off and place it on the floor facing upwards. You shouldn't keep it in your pocket that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

It depends in the centre, in tcd last year we had to leave bags and stuff in like a cafeteria area outside the hall but tbf your stuff could have been easily nicked. But ye if you brought a phone in it had to be left on the ground

I've reached breaking point with S2. My S1 and S3 scores have consistently been above the 80%ile on ME for the last few weeks
    but my S2 scores are significantly lower than that.......even in the drills I am struggling! The weird thing is is that it was by FAR my best section at the ME trial exam and by far my worst at the ME simulated exam. I've gone through both of them and have looked my drill results and the scenarios with dialogue between friends/family are the ones I'm having the most difficulty with. Somebody please help me!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

Theboybang wrote:
    I've reached breaking point with S2. My S1 and S3 scores have consistently been above the 80%ile on ME for the last few weeks but my S2 scores are significantly lower than that.......even in the drills I am struggling! The weird thing is is that it was by FAR my best section at the ME trial exam and by far my worst at the ME simulated exam. I've gone through both of them and have looked my drill results and the scenarios with dialogue between friends/family are the ones I'm having the most difficulty with. Somebody please help me!

Sounds stupid, but make sure you're in a good mood when doing section 2. Your own emotions have a real effect on how you do

• Registered Users Posts: 16 taara

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone has the answers to the MEntry Trial Exam from 2015. I emailed them and asked them for it but they don't have them anymore (??). Would really appreciate if you could pass them on!!
    Good luck next week ^.^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 lcstudent1234

How long does feedback take from the ME workshop exam.? I have entered my scores and awaiting email but it hasn't come yet and wondering if I did something wrong? Thanks

How long does feedback take from the ME workshop exam.? I have entered my scores and awaiting email but it hasn't come yet and wondering if I did something wrong? Thanks

I got mine the next day... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭yoyojc

How're ye're percentiles all looking? Best of luck everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭WorthlessPeon

Slowly getting there, hope to go up by a good bit on the day as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

"timed independently"
    does that mean, lets say for the first question, I have only certain amount of seconds, then I must turn to the 2nd question. I cannot stick to the first qs. Does a timer go off or something ?. Also, I cannot start off with section 2 or even do the third question of section 1, before doing the first question, I must follow the order they are in?
    So if I am on section 2, i cannot go back to section 1. otherwise the test will be default ?!
    if there is no timer etc. then i am supposed to know how many seconds to spend in each question. how many minutes per section.?

Sorry for these silly questions. I am just starting to familarise myself with the exam structure by watching youtube videos ans any other recourse I can find online.

"timed independently"
    does that mean, lets say for the first question, I have only certain amount of seconds, then I must turn to the 2nd question. I cannot stick to the first qs. Does a timer go off or something ?. Also, I cannot start off with section 2 or even do the third question of section 1, before doing the first question, I must follow the order they are in?
    So if I am on section 2, i cannot go back to section 1. otherwise the test will be default ?!
    if there is no timer etc. then i am supposed to know how many seconds to spend in each question. how many minutes per section.?

Sorry for these silly questions. I am just starting to familarise myself with the exam structure by watching youtube videos ans any other recourse I can find online.

-each question section has a designated amount of time, but each individual question doesn't.

-you can answer the questions in any one section in any order, some people skip questions to go back later, some start from the last question in the section and work towards the front.

-there are clocks all around the halls and you will be informed when each time section has only 10 minutes left. you can also wear a watch as long as it's not digital. you really should have a rough idea of how much time you have per question though.

- you must do the sections in chronological order, ie 1 > 2 > 3.. once s1 is over you absolutely cannot go back and keep answering. if you do and are caught you will be immediately asked to leave and default your test. Don't even try to be sneaky, everyone around you will be more than happy to report you for cheating.

hopefully that answered everything. the format of the exam is very easy to understand on the day, they explain and re-explain everything. best of luck and message me if you need to know anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

-each question section has a designated amount of time, but each individual question doesn't.

-you can answer the questions in any one section in any order, some people skip questions to go back later, some start from the last question in the section and work towards the front.

-there are clocks all around the halls and you will be informed when each time section has only 10 minutes left. you can also wear a watch as long as it's not digital. you really should have a rough idea of how much time you have per question though.

- you must do the sections in chronological order, ie 1 > 2 > 3.. once s1 is over you absolutely cannot go back and keep answering. if you do and are caught you will be immediately asked to leave and default your test. Don't even try to be sneaky, everyone around you will be more than happy to report you for cheating.

hopefully that answered everything. the format of the exam is very easy to understand on the day, they explain and re-explain everything. best of luck and message me if you need to know anything else

Thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 David1997

Just doing some final prep for the HPAT this Saturday and starting to panic a little. I'm finding it difficult to improve my section 1 but I'm pretty happy with sections 2 and 3. I've done the Career Services prep course and have worked through all their material but have found it different to the material I have from ACER. Just wondering is there any way to gauge how I'm doing as I'm finding it a bit frustrating not knowing whether my results are any good or not?

Sorry about the rant but any advice would be much appreciated!☺

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭DownOneTourist

David1997 wrote: »
    Just doing some final prep for the HPAT this Saturday and starting to panic a little. I'm finding it difficult to improve my section 1 but I'm pretty happy with sections 2 and 3. I've done the Career Services prep course and have worked through all their material but have found it different to the material I have from ACER. Just wondering is there any way to gauge how I'm doing as I'm finding it a bit frustrating not knowing whether my results are any good or not?

Sorry about the rant but any advice would be much appreciated!☺
    Calm down David! It really doesn't matter if your scores on Career Services or any other prep course are not up to the mark. The problem with those courses is that they repeat question styles so often that people become immune to them. I'm taking friday off completely. You need to able to think on the day.

• Advertisement

I've plateaued at around 68-70 for my average mark so I am starting to panic a bit.
    I'm going to do the supplied Acer paper Friday morning and just chill out the rest of the day.
    Has anybody got tips for what you should do to get in the zone?

Advertisement