Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HPAT and Medicine 2016**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭yoyojc

Robbiert wrote: »
    Anyone else think section 3 was alright? easier than the late ME exams for sure

Yeah! I got a good few of them thankfully!!!

Can you think of any of the easier s1 questions? My mind has completely gone blank!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Robbiert

yoyojc wrote: »
    Yeah! I got a good few of them thankfully!!!

Can you think of any of the easier s1 questions? My mind has completely gone blank!
    'easy' 'section 1' , pick one ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 XC90_D5

Can anyone think of any s1 questions that they actually understood?
    I need to assure myself :)

The very first one about the car crashes was nice!

I'm repeating the LC and the HPAT. Did Med Entry both years which I thought was good especially the online resources. I do think it's a bit of a money racket though, very expensive and don't think these mock HPAT exams which the put on and push down our throats are very beneficial either.

I found section 1 grand, some hard questions, did not like the flowing electricity question. Timing was good enough. I had to guess about three in the end and it felt very much like section three to me. Weird!

Section 2 took longer than expected. I normally finished this section on the ME practice exams in about 20 min and I ended up having to guess two today because of timing! It was also trickier than ME. I didn't know what "frivolity" or "derisive" meant in regard to the politician having the affair!

Section 3 is normally my weak point, Picking the middle being my Achilles heal. I still found this section hard but is wasn't hard as some of ME ones. I had to guess 5. Shout out to everyone who did it Goldsmith Hall!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 umar3061

dont remember what the q's were for them, for the 7 number heptagon q's were the last 4 questions answers bcbc cause i just scribbled that down .. i would hope one of my guesses is right 😓😓😓

Not sure, I think the first was d, I didn't really understand that question

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭WorthlessPeon

The more I think about section 1 the worse I think I did! Some of them I honestly didn't have a clue

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Daggermouth

XC90_D5 wrote: »
    The very first one about the car crashes was nice!

What was the answer to that question? (I'm not even sure if I got that one right!)

What was the answer to that question? (I'm not even sure if I got that one right!)

I think I said SUV's offer no greater protection than mid size cars!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 EllenDempsey

Pretty sure I said the same

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Burgerking19

Did anyone actually answer every single question in section 1? Is that even possible? I've been trying to console myself about having to guess so many

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Daggermouth

Can't even remember if I chose that answer. Was that A?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭DownOneTourist

I randomly guessed about 7 and had 50-50 guesses for about the same amount in section 1. I'm not looking forward to the result. Nothing I can do about it now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭DownOneTourist

Daggermouth, on the graph I remember the suv figure being very slightly below mid size car figure if that rings a bell. I can't recall whether the answer was A though! I was almost tricked by the muliscale graph towards the end of section 1 despite them saying in the question to watch out for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭WorthlessPeon

Would yous say Section 2 and 3 going well would be enough to counteract a very poor Section 1? I understand that nobody knows for certain, but I'd just like to feel like I still have a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 6 idontwantalot

Pretty sure I picked d for the first one; no idea why or what d was though... I think it was the longest piece of text though compared to all of the other options!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 UserNameTaken_

Pretty sure I picked d for the first one; no idea why or what d was though... I think it was the longest piece of text though compared to all of the other options!

Think I narrowed it down to either A or D, but think I might have gone with A cause d mentioned "safety" which wasn't what the graph (no. of injuries, *I think!) was talking about

Did anyone else find section 2 longer and more difficult that usual? :s

@ Such an unfair exam

Does anyone remember their answers for the kart questions or the questions on the 7 digits with the rotation along the vertical axis?

Daggermouth, on the graph I remember the suv figure being very slightly below mid size car figure if that rings a bell. I can't recall whether the answer was A though! I was almost tricked by the muliscale graph towards the end of section 1 despite them saying in the question to watch out for it!

I was nearly tricked by that too actually

Can't even remember if I chose that answer. Was that A?

No it was D, but I narrowed it down to "A" and "D" so you could be right!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 alaneire

Section 1, I had nowhere near enough time. I refuse to believe that anybody can finish this section in time. 7 digit question and the game show money question were the worst. Do they seriously expect us to get the answer first time through? Those questions need thought and trial-and-error, you can't do them in 20 seconds.

Section 2... how the heck are you supposed to do this in time when the passages are 4 paragraphs long???? You can't just skim-read because you'll miss out important bits of information. And some of the answers are so similar that you need to analyse the text for clues. Also who has ever heard of the word "contrite"???

Section 3 genuinely felt like a random jumble of shapes with no pattern whatsoever. That's all I'm going to say.

All in all, it was pretty bad. I don't blame myself for it, I've gotten over 80/110 on practice tests. This was just a garbage exam and a waste of time and effort. Oh well, I guess I'll be studying in Italy or Czech Republic instead.

• Advertisement

alaneire wrote: »
    Section 1, I had nowhere near enough time. I refuse to believe that anybody can finish this section in time. 7 digit question and the game show money question were the worst. Do they seriously expect us to get the answer first time through? Those questions need thought and trial-and-error, you can't do them in 20 seconds.

Section 2... how the heck are you supposed to do this in time when the passages are 4 paragraphs long???? You can't just skim-read because you'll miss out important bits of information. And some of the answers are so similar that you need to analyse the text for clues. Also who has ever heard of the word "contrite"???

Section 3 genuinely felt like a random jumble of shapes with no pattern whatsoever. That's all I'm going to say.

All in all, it was pretty bad. I don't blame myself for it, I've gotten over 80/110 on practice tests. This was just a garbage exam and a waste of time and effort. Oh well, I guess I'll be studying in Italy or Czech Republic instead.

Totally agree with you about the time needed for those type of questions in Section 1.

And I dunno whether it was just me and timing, but I found section 2 much longer this year, and significantly longer than any practice test I did...

Do you think if we all emailed ACER it would make a difference?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 alaneire

Do you think if we all emailed ACER it would make a difference?!?

No. There have been tricky exams in the past. The marks are just adjusted for the difficulty.

alaneire wrote: »
    No. There have been tricky exams in the past. The marks are just adjusted for the difficulty.

So would more difficult (and time consuming) questions be allocated less marks?! Thanks for your reply btw! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10 m.xvii

This being my second time round at the hpat, I feel as though it was a much more successful exam for me this year. I was very relaxed before and during the exam, and actually got all sections done apart from 3 questions in section three. At this stage, with 550 in LC, if I get in all good, but if not I'm totally happy to settle for something else!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 m.xvii

So would more difficult (and time consuming) questions be allocated less marks?! Thanks for your reply btw! :D

No, it's actually the other way around I think, although not 100% sure. The less people who managed to answer a question correctly, the more marks allocated.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

This thread is so dead in comparison to last year!!

Last year? Things were much better in the heady days of 2014 . Where did it all go wrong since?

I might point out a nice quote from that page:
    Yo good luck homies. Every year loads of people who end up scoring >95th percentile always come on here bummed out cause they feel they bombed it. Regardless of how you feel it went, remember that it's only half the battle and repeating the hpat is probably a bit easier than having to repeat the LC too, so however it goes shrug it off and get busy nailing down the exams in June.

Stay strong xo

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Say hello to my little friend

m.xvii wrote: »
    This being my second time round at the hpat, I feel as though it was a much more successful exam for me this year. I was very relaxed before and during the exam, and actually got all sections done apart from 3 questions in section three. At this stage, with 550 in LC, if I get in all good, but if not I'm totally happy to settle for something else!

What did you get last year do you mind me asking?
    Anyone else who did it last year have any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Lc123456789

What are people thinking of doing if they don't get medicine?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Thebabyjesus

Found section 1 was more difficult this year compared to last year with a lot less emphasis on logical reasoning and paragraphs. Section 2 i found to be easier than last year but mostly because i did a lot of practice this year on vocabulary which let me down big time last year. Section 3 was also not as bad as last year and i felt a lot more confident coming out partly due to the fact that I finished in time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭CookieCat97

Guys I feel absolutely awful about yesterday, it all seemed like such a blur, I just remember thinking 'This is going so bad' through the whole thing.

Section 1: I'm usually average at this section but I have to say I guessed about half the answers, I couldn't get my head around any of the long questions (where there were a lot of questions based on the one idea) I got this section finished but to be honest knowing me I'd say that if I guessed the answers I probably would have done better :(
    Section 2: This is always my worst section, I always seem to read into the text too much and seem to take out the wrong idea from the text. Yesterday was no different, I found it hard to concentrate on the texts as they all seemed so much longer than usual, I had to guess the last two questions. It also didn't help that I didn't know what some of the words meant and found it hard to differentiate between options (I wasn't expecting to do well in this sections but I'm still a bit disappointed)
    Section 3: This is usually my best section, I usually get 26/30 but I just couldn't find patterns in a lot of the pictures at all, this question was better than the others for me but I still fell like it went horribly.

I don't know what I'm going to do, I've never really looked into my 'backups' if I don't get medicine and I can't see myself repeating the HPAT next year because that test was the most horrible and demoralizing thing I've done in my entire life. :(
    sighhhhhhhh, gonna go to the guidance counselor tomorrow in school, I need a hell of a lot of guidance in my life at the minute :(

Advertisement