Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Cards in our hands!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Congrats from a US citizen!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Recognition Scene

Congrats, expecting mine soon.

Speak of the devil! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Chisler2

Here, whenever I land in SF my colleagues that were already on green cards would go straight through through the US/Green card lines with no questions asked.

Maybe it's different when you do pre clearance.

My experience. (I am Irish, living with my husband of 3 years standing in USA mid-west) We are frequent fliers to Ireland to stay at my home there and visit my family in Ireland. Husband goes through "Non-EU" at Shannon and Dublin, I through EU channel. It is NOT "Irish" but EU distinction. My husband has to fill in a non-EU visitor form submitted at passport control in port of entry in Ireland.

I lived in England when I met my (American, based in mid-west America and with secure, status employment) when I lived in Colchester UK. My application for K-1 Visa to go to USA and marry was through US Embassy in London, including medical in London...........all satisfactory. When I went through Chicago three days before my marriage there appeared to be an "issue" (?) and official took my huge sealed pack of documents (including medical results) and ushered me through, and I rejoined my husband-to-be who had passed through "US Citizens" channel.''

To cut a long story short, what we expected to be a problem-free three-month maximum wait for my Green Card (which I had no intention to use as a work-permit - I am 67 and retired! - or to constitute any claim for support in the USA (my husband had a secure, highly-paid profession and massive insurance benefits for himself and spouse)) BUT eight months later we were still phoning the USCIS Helpline and various other US emigration agencies including Immigration Lawyers as my Green Card had not arrived. In that period I was (NOTA BENE!) not eligible to buy/rent a vehicle; not eligible to get a Social Security number; not eligible to take the USA Driving Test (necessary in the state I live in if you drive after a stay of more than 30 days) not eligible to set up a business...............and of course, not eligible to simply travel to and from USA to other countries (including South American countries or Canada)................as I was a Petitioner for K-1 Visa which precluded use of, or application for, any other kind!

Last week (whilst I was visiting family and conducting necessary business in Ireland) my Green Card arrived in the post (the website informed me). My first approach via the American Embassy in London with an Irish passport was in July 2011. To anyone who thinks this process is easy, my warning is.............be aware that however simple and legitimate your situation is, the USCIS and subsequent US Immigration system is highly-bureacratic and beset with difficulties. If you want and need the Green Card, keep going. In retrospect I wonder if it would have saved us enormous time and energy (and money!..............this process "costs" at every stage) for me to have simply moved back and forth on either ESTA Waivers or registered as an academic (I write and research). Additionally, this would have simplified tax issues between my interests in Ireland and my English pension and my American husband's income and pension.

Things to consider for anyone applying for a Green Card. Incidentally, we are both TSA (Trusted Traveller status) and "sail" through security issues but I am still subjected to additional questioning and delays by the US Immigration Authorities!

Advertisement