Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fish/chart

Options
  • 23-06-2015 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Anyone got a link, with a chart of the fish sold in Ireland. So I can familiarise myself before going shopping

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Anyone got a link, with a chart of the fish sold in Ireland. So I can familiarise myself before going shopping
    http://www.bim.ie/about-the-seafood-industry/species-directory/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

I'm afraid not too many of the fish are going to look like they do on any chart by the time they get to a fishmongers counter / Supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,392 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Kat1170 wrote: »
    I'm afraid not too many of the fish are going to look like they do on any chart by the time they get to a fishmongers counter / Supermarket.

But they all wear convenient little price name tags

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Mellor wrote: »
    But they all wear convenient little price name tags
    Not always.

I was in supermarket and looked at the fish counter. There, among the plaice, cod fillets, salmon, and whiting, were a couple of gurnard - no label, no price.

Me: How much is the gurnard?
    Sales Asssistant: What's a gurnard?
    Me (pointing): That's a gurnard.
    SA: Oh, that's a display fish. We don't sell them.
    Me: So what do you do with them?
    SA: We throw them out at the end of the day.
    Me: Well, will you sell me one?
    SA: I'll ask the supervisor. [After consultation] You can have it for €3.

Good fish; very good price.

• Advertisement
Advertisement