Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What games have you been playing lately?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Playing Cave Story+ at the min, it is quite a fun game but I am stuck at the min so will have to put the thinking cap on to figure it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Finally giving Kerbal Space Program a go.

STOP USING NONSENSE WORDS! What do you mean click AP? What's AP? Why am I spinning? SEND HELP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Zillah wrote: »
    Finally giving Kerbal Space Program a go.

STOP USING NONSENSE WORDS! What do you mean click AP? What's AP? Why am I spinning? SEND HELP!

Ap is apoapsis, the point on the orbit furthest from the body it's orbiting. Click on that to add a pro grade manoeuvre that will grow your orbit.

Sickness avoidance system. [SAS] turn it on. Depending on your design there may be some instability anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

So, I've been trying out my brand shiny new awesome STEAM CONTROLLER! :D

Tested it out with Darkest Dungeon, Invisible Inc. and FTL so far. I thought I'd have a harder time getting used to it, but damn I've pretty much just jumped right in there, fired up big picture mode and browsed some configs for each game and played away. It is awesome! I am having a very merry Christmas indeed! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

r6 siege and squad and arma3.

Its like all my xmases coming together.

tactical shooters are back :D

I got Knights of the old Republic for Android after seeing a certain film..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Links234 wrote: »
    So, I've been trying out my brand shiny new awesome STEAM CONTROLLER! :D

Tested it out with Darkest Dungeon, Invisible Inc. and FTL so far. I thought I'd have a harder time getting used to it, but damn I've pretty much just jumped right in there, fired up big picture mode and browsed some configs for each game and played away. It is awesome! I am having a very merry Christmas indeed! :D

How does it stack up against a 360 controller?

How does it stack up against a 360 controller?

Stacks pretty well ;)

TBeziW9.jpg

Not good enough. Sure its not even sitting level on top.:pac:

• Advertisement

You did say up against, not on top of. You only have yourself to blame.

Ok, so actual serious response to how it stacks up against an Xbox360 controller.

I found it a bit odd... When playing a game where I was previously using the 360 controller, it just seems off. Not bad, just off. I'm not used to it yet, and I think that's what it is. Diving into a game that's typically keyboard and mouse, I'm instantly getting into it, grab a controller config I like the look of and away I go without a problem so far. But when I tried The Witcher 2, which I was using the 360 with, I'm feeling like it might take longer to get used to than with a game that I've never used a controller for. Does that sound strange? I've not had a huge amount of time with it yet, so I'll report back again when I've played with it a lot more.

But yeah, I am absolutely thrilled with the Steam Controller so far. It works as a mouse on the desktop as well, I've been sitting back and browsing youtube with it, even useful when I was lying in bed watching Netflix! Absolutely love it. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

anyone played underrail ? http://store.steampowered.com/app/250520/

Might pick it up if it goes on the sale apparently it's like to fallout 1/2 but a lot of games get me with that ... ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Lone Stone wrote: »
    anyone played underrail ? http://store.steampowered.com/app/250520/

Might pick it up if it goes on the sale apparently it's like to fallout 1/2 but a lot of games get me with that ... ..

There's an EPIC 6% discount on it atm, though i doubt very much it'll go lower than that, it's only been released too so the odds of it going to steamsale could be a bit low, it's fairly cheap anyway at 15quid

I've it wishlisted aswell, i just wanna see what the first few days of the sale are like before i splurge on anything fullprice, even if it is only 15quid €14.19 at full price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

There's an EPIC 6% discount on it atm, though i doubt very much it'll go lower than that, it's only been released too so the odds of it going to steamsale could be a bit low, it's fairly cheap anyway at 15quid

I've it wishlisted aswell, i just wanna see what the first few days of the sale are like before i splurge on anything fullprice, even if it is only 15quid €14.19 at full price

but 10% on https://www.gog.com/ !!
    Il see what goes on sale, not much im interested in at the moment anyways at the moment.

So, I wanted to try the Steam controller with some first person games, I had fired up Vermintide briefly and although I didn't particular like the config I was testing out (really do love that I can just browse different configs and don't have to set up everything, it's ridiculously user-friendly), I think that the gyro aiming is ridiculously powerful! I wasn't expecting it to be quite so good, I can easily see myself using it for FPS games now. However... I also tried out Borderlands 2, and I think the game just detected it as a controller, because there was some aim assist going on and the gyro didn't work for it, so I think I'll need to go try it out with a proper config. Also tried it a bit with MGSV and aiming felt really sluggish, not great at all. I think it worked so well with Vermintide because there's no controller support, and the Steam controller can just do it's thing and shine, whereas Borderlands 2 and MGSV expected an Xbox360 controller, and the Steam one must automatically be trying to mimick those inputs, so it's a little hit and miss. I think I'll have to try them again when I have more time, this time round try some different configs, because I'd say the gyro aiming will work really well.

Also playing more Witcher 2. I'm past the castle siege and dungeon escape, and much happier now that I'm into the first town area. I didn't even make it in this far on my first time playing it (had only played a bit into the siege before deciding I'd best play the first Witcher), so hurrah. I prefer when I can wander about in these kind of games, the first one was the same, the opening part was such a slog to get through but I really got into it after that. Still taking time to get used to the controller with it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

So, I wanted to try the Steam controller with some first person games, I had fired up Vermintide briefly and although I didn't particular like the config I was testing out (really do love that I can just browse different configs and don't have to set up everything, it's ridiculously user-friendly), I think that the gyro aiming is ridiculously powerful! I wasn't expecting it to be quite so good, I can easily see myself using it for FPS games now.

Heresy!

On a scale of 1 being console peasant controller and 10 being pc master race mouse where would you rate the gyo aiming? I am very surprised to hear you would choose a controller over mouse and keyboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Surprised to hear Links using a gamepad? Hah. Lots of folks use even a regular gamepad with sticks to aim in FPS. Aim assist quells the rage quits.

Maguined wrote: »
    Heresy!

On a scale of 1 being console peasant controller and 10 being pc master race mouse where would you rate the gyo aiming? I am very surprised to hear you would choose a controller over mouse and keyboard.

I normally use a controller when playing single player FPS. I'll use a m + k for online ones though but i've always preferred a controller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Glebee

Just finised up with Wolfenstein:The New Order. A decent FPS. Reminded me alot of Half Life 3 for some reason. Was in a bit of a quandary on what to play next and then I realised I had the Witcher 3 DLC to get into. Epic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,579 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Glebee wrote: »
    Half Life 3

Comfirmed:D

• Advertisement

Maguined wrote: »
    Heresy!

Well, I just find gaming with a controller a far more comfortable experience, and seeing as I did suffer from some RSI over the last year when using a mouse, I'll always take a controller where I can get it. But with that said, I don't think I've had enough time with the Steam controller to accurately compare gyro aiming to mouse aiming. Just that gyro aiming impressed me far, far more than I thought it would, it's way closer to the accuracy of a mouse than an analogue stick for sure.

But here's someone playing CS:GO with it, so it'll give you an idea.

For some reason it sounds very loud in that video, it's kinda clicky, but not that loud at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Glebee

EoinHef wrote: »
    Comfirmed:D

HL2, sorry:D

So, I've dived into Warframe today. Been meaning to give that a go for absolutely AGES now.

Mucking about with keyboard and mouse at first, then the Steam controller. Default setting sucked, and there was no gyro aiming, so aiming with the trackpad was better than with a stick but nowhere near as good as mouse aiming. I tried a few different configs until I found one I really liked, some were awful and downright unusable. Gyro aiming is seriously accurate, and way, way closer to mouse aiming. On a scale of 1-10 with 1 being analogue stick and 10 being mouse, I'd say I'd rate gyro aiming around 8, but with the caveat that I'm only just getting used to it and I could imagine it being a real contender for mouse aiming once I've gotten completely used to it. Essentially, use the trackpad for fast movements, and then gyro to aim really accurately, works like a charm. So there we go, I'd say don't stick with default controls for any first person games if you're using a Steam controller, trackpad beats stick for aiming, but gyro is way more powerful.

I realize I'm dragging this pretty offtopic, so direct any further questions to the Steam Controller thread. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,674 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

No PC games for a change. All I have been playing is Super Mario Maker.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

I normally use a controller when playing single player FPS. I'll use a m + k for online ones though but i've always preferred a controller.

I understand some people will have preferences but k+m is objectively more accurate for FPS than using a controller so I am curious how much this new gyro aiming can improve over regular controllers.

Picked up The Masterplan on Sunday because Playfield had it for €1.99 and I had that on my wishlist since it was in early access. It's a top-down heisting game set in the 70's, definitely taken a bit of inspiration from Payday I think. Didn't really give it much of a try, I couldn't even manage to knock over a bar. Give it a proper go another time.

Had a game of Warframe with a friend too, I'm liking it so far.

Also, getting much more into Witcher 2 now and also a lot more used to the playing it with the Steam controller now. Doesn't feel so off any more.

Been playing a bit of Hard West, seriously, seriously good so far! I've been killing bandits and prospecting for gold and it is awesome! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

I'm an idiot - I backed Hard West when it was in KickStarter, but forgot about it as I had changed my email address on KS. Anyway, emailed the devs and they sent me out the Steam key again, so I'll get stuck into it after Christmas dinner. :D

Another festivus miracle!

Well got a steam voucher of my girlfriend so thats bumped my budget up again. Still dont know what to buy.:confused:

• Advertisement

Well got a steam voucher of my girlfriend so thats bumped my budget up again. Still dont know what to buy.:confused:

Need a recommendation? What sort of thing you fancy?

Whoops thought i'd posted that in the steam sale thread.:o

I was looking at Just Cause 3 but think i might prefer a few good cheaper indie type games to be honest.

Whoops thought i'd posted that in the steam sale thread.:o

I was looking at Just Cause 3 but think i might prefer a few good cheaper indie type games to be honest.

Well, I started a thread about indie games a while back, you can take a peak there for some ideas. And if you like X com, or turn based strategy games, I can certainly recommend Hard West

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭wyrn

Ah it's Steam game roulette here. Santa didn't bring me a new graphics card, so it's hit and miss what games will play (well) on my machine. It's probably for the best, especially when I want to buy all the games with the Links seal of approval!

Here was my Indie games thread, if anyone wanted any ideas. ;)

Played another mission on Hard West, and damn... I'd say I prefer this to XCom. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34 jebi1717

I still go back to Lords of Chaos on the Amiga, X-Com games and Space Hulk.

I hear they are doing a new X-com and SPace Hulk,,, hopefully a new Lords of Chaos and real Dungeon Keeper type game.

Dungeons and War for the overworld were disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 jebi1717

Also still Play Dungeon Keeper, Deeper Dungeons and Dungeon Keeper 2 , takes less time to complete each time. looking for a better challenge, but they are beautiful and very entertaining games.

What other games of this type would you recommend. ?

Yeah, I am absolutely adoring everything about Hard West right now, it is fantastic. There's a lot of great mechanics, but the game isn't overly complicated at all. The missions are short enough, but really intense. And damn, this game is seriously dark. There's a mission where you attack a bunch of cannibals, and an optional side-mission is to, and I kid you not... try the meat! :eek:

Seriously, seriously amazing game.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭sirboby

ok just got skyrim legendary edition, i played skyrim on the consel but not the dlc, i haven't even done anything to do with the dlc's and its already taken over my life. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

sirboby wrote: »
    ok just got skyrim legendary edition, i played skyrim on the consel but not the dlc, i haven't even done anything to do with the dlc's and its already taken over my life. :D

www.nexusmods.com

Enjoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

sirboby wrote: »

http://www.moddb.com/mods/enderal

That is an absolutly amazing mod.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Pillars of eternity, so far so good.

Been playing Saints Row 4 over the last week. I do love how bat**** insane the SR games are. Its a great game to play if you just want to relax and cause a bit of chaos.

Manach wrote: »
    Pillars of eternity, so far so good.

Good to hear. That's one that I want to play because I loved Baldur's Gate back in the day, and absolutely ADORED Planescape: Torment, but I'll wait until there's a complete edition including the DLC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Good to hear. That's one that I want to play because I loved Baldur's Gate back in the day, and absolutely ADORED Planescape: Torment, but I'll wait until there's a complete edition including the DLC.

It's a great game. There was a small bit of a buggy start and in fairness some people aren't enamoured with the UI but it's definitely a proper take on the likes of BG2, Icewind Dale etc.

One thing that sold me straight away is that it doesn't do level adjusting difficulty. There's a part close to the start you wander into thinking blah blah blah, click attack and move on and get wtfpwned. It had me laughing because it was so unexpected.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Was playing WoW until I got fallout 4 as an early Christmas present. Unfortunately I'm stuck with my laptop I bought thinking I don't need it to play games as I have my desktop. This caused me to have to play something else that would actually run. Anomaly: Warzone Earth is surprisingly good. I got it for free so wasn't expecting much and it wouldn't be my type of game normally.

Also got 400 days and walking dead season 2. 400 days was meh and I found myself annoyed at the controls for season 2. The controller was just so slow for aiming at things. Still a good game, I just have to use my mouse.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I couldn't get into Pillars of Eternity for some reason, and i absolutely adore the Baldurs Gate series. Not sure what it was, but i think it's the story. It just didn't appeal to me, and the companions only seemed ok. I didn't get that far into it to be fair (about 5 hours i'd say), so maybe it gets better, but i've heard most people find the story is pretty poor.

Started the Phantom Pain. Really enjoying it so far. I like the way your pretty much left to approach your objectives however you want. Took my first base by sneaking up on an anti aircraft gun, tranquilizing the guard and opening up on the rest to the guards with the AA gun.

Who needs stealth when you have an AA gun?:D

Is the sound essential to Undertale? I'm put off by it already. It sounds like a gameboy. I'm considering just playing my own music.

Is the sound essential to Undertale? I'm put off by it already. It sounds like a gameboy. I'm considering just playing my own music.

What? And miss out on the game's wonderful soundtrack?! :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement