Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What games have you been playing lately?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Any suggestions for games to play with the GF while we're stuck in doors? She wouldn't be a gamer at all. She used to be into platform games back in the day. I was thinking Hat in Time so far.
    Gang Beasts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Any suggestions for games to play with the GF while we're stuck in doors? She wouldn't be a gamer at all. She used to be into platform games back in the day. I was thinking Hat in Time so far.

Yooka-Laylee. Both of them are great games imo. One is a 3d platformer while the other is a modern 2.5d one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Been jumping from a couple of games, but I've been fairly stuck to Jurassic World Evolution lately. I was a big Jurassic Park Genesis fan back in the day so I definitely felt at home with this.

EOgxhN7h.jpg
    6ynbAY9h.jpg
    nX44pyWh.jpg
    18Jf4anh.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm like you though I haven't gone back to it. I really should.

I decided to read the books first.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I'm catching up on college work at the moment, and I'm always on the lookout for music I can listen to that doesn't distract.

I hadn't thought to do so before for some reason but with the hubbub about the upcoming Doom Eternal, it reminded me to listen to the Doom 2016 OST.

Sooooo good.

Hotline Miami, Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, Super Meat Boy, and Homeworld 1 and 2 are some of my other favourites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Glebee

Went back to contine Final Fantasy 15 after a long break away. I actually do not know what to make of this game. At times it typical FF, bat**** crazy. But then it has great moments. Suched a mixed bag. Its not looking great on my PC for some reason, I thought I found tweeks before to get it to run better but nothing seems to get it running as beautiful as people claim it is.

Glebee wrote: »
    Went back to contine Final Fantasy 15 after a long break away. I actually do not know what to make of this game. At times it typical FF, bat**** crazy. But then it has great moments. Suched a mixed bag. Its not looking great on my PC for some reason, I thought I found tweeks before to get it to run better but nothing seems to get it running as beautiful as people claim it is.

Mother of god but the linear end section of this game is horrifically bad.. Who thought that was a good idea. Thought it would never end.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Finished the Witcher 2.

Into Doom Eternal next.

In a rut again, dont know what to play. need something to get my teeth into..:(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

In a rut again, dont know what to play. need something to get my teeth into..:(

What are you in the mood for?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Advertisement

What are you in the mood for?

Cant find anything.Dont know what I want ??? What ever I start I just uninstall after half an hour.... Thionk ill just take a break from gaming for a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

Cant find anything.Dont know what I want ??? What ever I start I just uninstall after half an hour.... Thionk ill just take a break from gaming for a bit.

Hard to take a break while being trapped at home.

Maybe try something short or story based.
    Like one of the tell tale games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭KilOit

Playing so much of State of Decay 2, such a blast to tip away at zombie killing and base building

KilOit wrote: »
    Playing so much of State of Decay 2, such a blast to tip away at zombie killing and base building

Tried that earlier to, lasted half an hour and uninstalled. I need a break i think.

One of those. Not sure what to advise.

I've banned myself from my beloved strategy games for lent so I'm clearing the single player camapigns on some shooters. Was toying of trying an Indie title but there are so many.

Thats it decision made. After Leos announcement tonight reinstalling WOW and resubbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Capitalism 2 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

I've been playing frost punk, I got my city to day 30 which I was pretty chuffed about the Londoners ran away, My gaurds bet the crap out of them into submission, then it got to cold I ran out of coal :(

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Captcha

Ultrflat wrote: »
    I've been playing frost punk, I got my city to day 30 which I was pretty chuffed about the Londoners ran away, My gaurds bet the crap out of them into submission, then it got to cold I ran out of coal :(

Its an amazing game, beautiful too :) Harsh! but fun to lose!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Cleared the 1st Banner Saga last night, and really enjoyed it. Looking forward to getting stuck into the 2nd one today. Pretty basic tactical combat, but the story is really interesting.

Also playing through Tales from the Borderlands, and it's brilliant. Not sure why i waited so long to play it. Spreading out the chapters to one a day to get the most out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Civ VI - just one more turn.

Captcha wrote: »
    Its an amazing game, beautiful too :) Harsh! but fun to lose!

Finished the other night. :D

Brilliant game.

Working my way through my back catalog so I'm on the last boss of Crysis 3 which is nice, that game is was so far ahead of its time in terms of graphics I could imagine that breaking 2080 ti's with rtx enabled.

next up Doom 2016, then its over to deus x man kind divided and bio shock infinite. Then I may try out the Witcher 3 again. I didn't like it but I got time to kill :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,741 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Finished the other night. :D

Brilliant game.

Working my way through my back catalog so I'm on the last boss of Crysis 3 which is nice, that game is was so far ahead of its time in terms of graphics I could imagine that breaking 2080 ti's with rtx enabled.

next up Doom 2016, then its over to deus x man kind divided and bio shock infinite. Then I may try out the Witcher 3 again. I didn't like it but I got time to kill :pac:

Crysis 3 was a very underrated game. Still looks great today.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

With extra time on my hands, i can get better at games hehe. So right now I have two major games I play.

Escape from Tarkov - Finally hit level 30 and level 3 strength! Already got 10 GPU Bitcoin farm going and as we speak, I am upgrading it to level 2. Workbench 3, rest area 3, water 3 are being built right now too.
    Getting better at game, but still going Rat route. My stash is filled to the brim with stuff and I have 20mil in cash sitting. I can clearly start doing budget Chad runs, but just can't push myself to do it lol.
    As always Customs is my favorite meal, but I have basic knowledge of Shoreline and reserve now. I have to say, that I really, really hate shoreline. It's freaking massive and with my luck I always run in to Chad fully decked out.

Satisfactory - it's stable on my laptop, so playing a lot more of it. Still taking my time, but this time around I have a lot more planning behind my factory. New parts in update 3 let's you build so much cooler stuff!

Crysis 3 was a very underrated game. Still looks great today.

Finished the original on Friday. Might look at Warhead next.

Finished the original on Friday. Might look at Warhead next.

I remember at the time loving Warhead. Great game from what I remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,741 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Yeah, was a lot of fun.

Im a big fan of Crysis 2 and the Hans Zimmer soundtrack that went with it. That playing during the central station shootout was awesome

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

At the very least, Warhead has a more fun protagonist in Psycho. The end of the original killed my PC at 15fps.

I see Prey is leaving Xbox game pass later this month. Gets good reviews. Going to take it for a spin before it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Guild Wars 2

Level 44 and I'm starting to feel the grind set in. I've probably over played it givin the circumstances but the map completion xp method of levelling it's starting to feel a bit samey.

Mounts are available at level 80 I read to speed things up,have to see if i manage to get all the way to 80.

This is the first time the game has managed to stick after a few trys over the years so I'll stick with it for a bit and see if my enthusiasm comes back. The personal story quests are good,its getting the 10 levels for the next part that's starting to grate

I started playing Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, it's control system is unique if not a bit annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Mad Max, well worth 3 quid.
    The only thing I don't like is there seems to be input lag when steering the car, which makes it a challenge. Especially some of the tougher races later on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Trying to get into Rimworld.

Any one got any recommendations for a decent RTS to play I was thinking Ash's of the singularity but I prefer something like frost punk Tried " Cities and skylines" but its a little on the boring side any one with any recommendations?

eyerer wrote: »
    Mad Max, well worth 3 quid.
    The only thing I don't like is there seems to be input lag when steering the car, which makes it a challenge. Especially some of the tougher races later on

One of the most under rated games for sure. Yes, it's not perfect, but if you are a mad Max junkie, then it's best thing we ever got or will get at this point. I Never finished it as it was crashing a lot on my PC and I just gave up. Might revisit it though.

Such a shame we will never see new one, because it financially tanked. Well, that's what you get for releasing same day as MGS5...

• Advertisement

Any one got any recommendations for a decent RTS to play I was thinking Ash's of the singularity but I prefer something like frost punk Tried " Cities and skylines" but its a little on the boring side any one with any recommendations?

It's a bit old but the last decent RTS was Starcraft 2. It's a dead genre.

The most recent homeworld might scratch that itch.

There is a remaster of the old command & conquer games coming out soon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

Went back to wow with my tail between my legs. Running a lot of dungeons and collecting mounts by soloing old raids, along with a bit of sight seeing of the newer content. Also levelled a demon hunter to 115. I'll probably get him to 120 and gear up a bit. Also levelled a hunter to 90 so far. It's getting boring again though.

I clocked quite a few hours into Elite Dangerous over the last few years. Think I'll eventually head back to that for a while. See if it grabs me!

I find playing MMOs to be quite relaxing. Love the freedom. Unfortunately, I tend to get addicted for a few weeks and then just slowly get bored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

Have you tried the Total War games? Loads of options there if you haven't.
    I'd start with Shogun 2 and the warhammer ones are awesome.

I've also heard They are Billions is good but haven't tried myself.

If you don't mind something a bit older the Dawn of war games are good (maybe stay away from DoW3)
    or the Company of Heroes ones.
    It's a bit old but the last decent RTS was Starcraft 2. It's a dead genre.

Not Dead. Always been more of a niche genre.
    And my favourite. :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I tend to get addicted for a few weeks and then just slowly get bored

Thats my pattern for the last two decades :D

Playing the Division 2 and Monster Hunter World Iceborne mainly but started World War Z recently and its 10x better than the release effort, tones of content now and serious progression system in place, its left for dead with progression.
    Definitely worth a look if you dismissed it previously like i did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Started Transformers War for Cybertron.
    Main annoying thing so far is that even though you can use a 360 controller, all prompts are for keyboard/mouse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Got a key for the Valorant beta, only played 2 games so far but enjoying it. Plays a lot like cs1.6 but with overwatch abilities which im not too sure about yet.
    It seems like its region locked which is pretty crap, used to playing with some friends in NA and can't with this which i've never come across before for an FPS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Starting to get the hang of Rimworld now. Steep learning curve. Have a day off tomorrow so looking forward to getting stuck into it a bit more and learning as much as possible 🙂.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Civ 6 expansions were (and possibly still are) on sale, so I picked them up, having bounced off the game on release.

I like a lot of the new features, but I'm yet to sink my teeth into the game. There's a lot of things in it that still annoy me.

I much prefer the handling of resources, the Dark/Golden age mechanic is fun, I haven't seen much of the world congress, but it seems interesting.

For the most part, in Civ 5, even when it wasn't perfect, I wasn't being actively irritated by the game.
    The districts thing is just a pain in the arse. It makes you make strategic decisions, but they mostly seem to be which valuable tile do I want to destroy. And often it's a few tiles, because you want adjacency bonuses.

Now, in numbers, there's generally higher tile yields in Civ 6, so destroying a few might be fine in terms of output, but it feels ****ty.

Ultimately, while I like the idea of having separate districts, having them built on your territory, rather than abstracted to the city itself, just doesn't work.

There's a few obvious ways they could fix it - just make districts have no impact on the tile they're placed on, so your decision-making is positive. After all, a district in a city isn't the size of the city. There should be room for mines, or farms or whatever as well. Another one might be more work, but it'd be to abstract it back into the city UI, and give you a set of tiles there, to work adjacency bonuses and such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭Homelander

Remouad wrote: »
    If you don't mind something a bit older the Dawn of war games are good (maybe stay away from DoW3)
    or the Company of Heroes ones.

Dawn of War plus add-ons and Dawn of War 2 are phenomenal games. Company of Heroes is also an excellent game, and the original has aged amazingly well.

OpenRA is a totally free version of CnC Red Alert/Retaliation that runs on modern machines, and it's a major improvement on the original game - better balance, way more maps, new units, new features etc. I sincerely doubt the upcoming remaster will be any better, it's that good.

I haven't played any new RTS games in ages. I found most of them after COH2 just didn't appeal to me. Last one I tried was DOW3 and I hated it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

Started on Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 (Xbox360).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

currently playing Far Cry 4
    I played the original back in the day and enjoyed it but the 2nd one put me off the series because of annoying elements in the game such as respawning enemies, vehicles made of paper and the malaria which you had to constantly find pills to keep at bay.
    I received FC 5 with a motherboard upgrade and enjoyed it so I have gone back to FC 4 as I had it in my account and may even try 3 after at some stage

Skerries wrote: »
    currently playing Far Cry 4
    I played the original back in the day and enjoyed it but the 2nd one put me off the series because of annoying elements in the game such as respawning enemies, vehicles made of paper and the malaria which you had to constantly find pills to keep at bay.
    I received FC 5 with a motherboard upgrade and enjoyed it so I have gone back to FC 4 as I had it in my account and may even try 3 after at some stage

Have you given FC3 a go? Probably better than 4 because of how much fresher it was. Blood Dragon is a lot of fun as well.

Homelander wrote: »
    Dawn of War plus add-ons and Dawn of War 2 are phenomenal games. Company of Heroes is also an excellent game, and the original has aged amazingly well.

OpenRA is a totally free version of CnC Red Alert/Retaliation that runs on modern machines, and it's a major improvement on the original game - better balance, way more maps, new units, new features etc. I sincerely doubt the upcoming remaster will be any better, it's that good.

I haven't played any new RTS games in ages. I found most of them after COH2 just didn't appeal to me. Last one I tried was DOW3 and I hated it.

I am one of those pricks, who prefers DOW2. To my defence, I never played first one when it came out, only tried it after I played second one.

On RTS suggestions: They are Billions is great crack. Not traditional rts, but rogue like rats game. Great for people who love to turtle in rts games.

As of myself. I had a massive craving for Black Desert online. Played a good bit of it on xbox, but pc version is obviously better and more up to date. So yeah, started it from the scratch few days ago. Its on sale on steam right now.
    It is an mmorpg, but the one you can actually play solo. Plus its sandbox ish. So you can do different things. Played wow for years, but just can't get in to that same crap routine. Level up, do dailies, do 5 man, hang out in orgimmar until next patch...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

So made level 80 in guild wars 2,overall it was quite enjoyable. Especially the last 10-15 levels as I hit 80 just after as I finished the level 70 personal story so was able to jump right to the last part of the story.

The week part of the vanilla game for me was levelling between the story. I can see they made an effort to keep things fresh but things did feel a bite samey after awhile.

First time I've ever hit a level cap in a traditional MMO. Was going to try out elder scrolls online again to change it up for a bit but I watched the trailer for black desert online mentioned above and it has me curious.

Also have two expansions for guild wars to get through. Normally these games I don't have time for so thought I'd try a few while I do have the time.

EoinHef wrote: »
    So made level 80 in guild wars 2,overall it was quite enjoyable. Especially the last 10-15 levels as I hit 80 just after as I finished the level 70 personal story so was able to jump right to the last part of the story.

The week part of the vanilla game for me was levelling between the story. I can see they made an effort to keep things fresh but things did feel a bite samey after awhile.

First time I've ever hit a level cap in a traditional MMO. Was going to try out elder scrolls online again to change it up for a bit but I watched the trailer for black desert online mentioned above and it has me curious.

Also have two expansions for guild wars to get through. Normally these games I don't have time for so thought I'd try a few while I do have the time.

Bdo is very different from WOW ( Everquest type mmo ). And if you solo player, then there is plenty of content for you.
    The main thing in BDO is to snowball to get higher Tier gear, so you can progress further and kill stronger mobs, that drop better loot. The thing is, that gear does not go outdated with new patch or Expansion like in wow. Even right now, to get highest gear is super hard and expensive.
    Its a fiver now on steam and you can play it perfectly fine for very long time. If you wont like it, then its only a fiver. The only real thing that I bought for game is pets. though you wont need any extra waaay until later. You get two early in game anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement