Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What games have you been playing lately?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Bdo is very different from WOW ( Everquest type mmo ). And if you solo player, then there is plenty of content for you.
    The main thing in BDO is to snowball to get higher Tier gear, so you can progress further and kill stronger mobs, that drop better loot. The thing is, that gear does not go outdated with new patch or Expansion like in wow. Even right now, to get highest gear is super hard and expensive.
    Its a fiver now on steam and you can play it perfectly fine for very long time. If you wont like it, then its only a fiver. The only real thing that I bought for game is pets. though you wont need any extra waaay until later. You get two early in game anyway.

Cheers,thanks for the info:)

Was thinking Elder Scrolls just because I have it. The combat in that BDO looks like a nice change of pace though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

EoinHef wrote: »
    Cheers,thanks for the info:)

Was thinking Elder Scrolls just because I have it. The combat in that BDO looks like a nice change of pace though.

Combat is really really good. It does not feel like mmorpg, because of it! Most mmorpgs you feel like hitting air, but in bdo it feels heavy and satisfying. There are combos for moves etc.
    A little detail they have, but it makes such a difference, you know how in wow, you just feel like a ghost, walking through every npc and player? Well in bdo they have animations when you brush off someone, npcs and players physically there. Most importantly for me, world feels very alive, you can play solo, but don't feel isolated, if it makes sense. You can be in a town doing your things and there are ton of other people around you doing theirs. Places do feel alive. I never sensed it in other mmos.
    It's not perfect game, it can be grindy and when you later in game, gear upgrades very expensive, but I personally like it. When you get that piece of gear upgraded, it feels very satisfying, because you earned it. And I do like some good mindless grind sessions where you listen to music and massacre 15 mobs in one beautiful pull. :)

As I said, it's 5eu, right now. Cheaper then a subway sandwich. Worth a try hehe.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Love ESO ,great combat great world but the gear system is just weird, literally never get upgrades after a certain point and it becomes pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 NMHS

Microsoft FS2020 Alpha. Tons of potential! X-Plane 11. DayZ Livonia. Arma 3. Intending to get back into Star Citizen too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭KilOit

On RTS suggestions: They are Billions is great crack. Not traditional rts, but rogue like rats game. Great for people who love to turtle in rts games.
    I lost my entire weekend to this suggestion, didn't know you meant the crack you inject

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

With Homeworld 3 now being produced, Blackbird Interactive (which is made up of some former Relic devs who worked on the previous games), are doing a bit of media stuff, including this pretty long interview with Ars Technica with Blackbird's CEO, and former creative lead for Homeworld at Relic Rob Cunningham.

It's interesting to hear him talk about how the original game came to be and it really underlines how it blew everything else out of the water from a technical perspective.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

85 hours into my Breath of the Wild CEMU playthrough, and just don't want it to end. Figure i'll finish it this weekend though, once i check a few more things off my list. Also still playing Starsector, with my latest playthrough going pretty well.

Think i'll go back and restart Fallen Jedi this weekend as well. Really enjoyed it, but never got around to finishing it.

Also want to do a full runthrough of the Homeworld series, so Deserts of Kharak installing now. Cleared it before, but love the series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Finished my second playthrough of Witcher 3, inc B+W. Recently purchased Halo MCC so started Halo Reach

I played Halo 1 on PC about 17/18 years ago, never played 2 (damn Vista requirement) and dabbled a bit with 3/4 on friends xboxes after those games were released, which was a long, long time ago. The shield sounds are oddly familiar

I'm playing through Black Mesa at the moment. They've done a good job of with the upgraded visuals, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Finished my Breath of the Wild playthough there, after around 80 hours. Absolutely fantastic game.

Went back and completed chapter 3 of Tales from the Borderlands as well, so looking forward to finishing that off.

Next up is either a Mass Effect re-run, or possibly doing a Wither 3 (plus DLC) playthrough. Also the Homeworld series.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Still playing Europa Universalis IV after giving myself lent off from it. Got some mods to add a better font, enhance the map and upgrade the soundtrack with some classical tracks.

Mods can make the map awfully pretty though.

510937.jpg

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I've been giving Civ 6 another go, with the two DLCs that I got on sale a few weeks ago.

There's a few things that still irritate me about it, but there's some mods that improve stuff like trade, make wonders worth getting, and so on.

There's someting enjoyable to me about using the giant earth map mod with real start locations, and putting down cities where they really are. And just building away, and not really engaging with the AI. I'm mostly enjoying the regular game as well.

I think it's about 5% off of being really really good, but I'm finding that missing 5% quite important, and I've struggled to stick with games beyond the industrial era. Hopefully there's another DLC to give it that mirror finish.

I think I've also discovered how to play factorio properly. It's important not to play too much in one sitting and take breaks or doing other things. It's very much like programming. Sometimes you just need to reset your brain to be able to tackle a particularly complex task.

Another thing I've found is that it's ok to build a factory, and then bin it when you realise it won't scale to lategame. The blueprints system gives you a flexible form of progression, that has some similarities to object oriented programming, and it means in your next game, something that you really had to meticulously plan can now just be plonked down as a plan at the start of the game and you'll have a far better idea how to plan out your main conveyors of raw material (which in the community, again uses computer terminology and is called your main bus). You can get some blueprints off the community as well, but I think they serve better as demonstrations in techniques for efficient object placement and how to manage loads of different streams of components going into a single product.

VP4. Could lose hours on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Not sure if it's anyone elses cup of tea, but I've been playing a lot planet coaster/zoo. I find it very therapeutic/relaxing during a certain health crisis currently happening. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

Valkyria Chronicles 4, a game I bought on sale on steam ages ago that I only got around to playing.
    Loved it at first but now about 3/4 of the way through I find that I'm starting to lose interest, they dragged it out a bit much for my liking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Not sure if it's anyone elses cup of tea, but I've been playing a lot planet coaster/zoo. I find it very therapeutic/relaxing during a certain health crisis currently happening. :)

PZ is on my Steam wishlist alright, but I'd need to read more reviews before I buy (if I ever get around to that). How deep is it, in terms of management etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Still playing Europa Universalis IV after giving myself lent off from it. Got some mods to add a better font, enhance the map and upgrade the soundtrack with some classical tracks.

Mods can make the map awfully pretty though.

I want to try this.
    I love Stellaris. Sunk countless hours into it.
    ....but I bought Crusader Kings II, and couldn't get into it. The barrier to starting the learning curve completely put me off.

I presume Europa is just like CKII so thats putting me off.

....maybe I should try CKII again... ugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

Playing Bannerlord and Mordhua a lot lately with a bit of warzone thrown in. Sadly all my friends who play warzone are playing from midnight on and I am still working and have be up at 5am lol. Don't like Warzone solo very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

killanena wrote: »
    Playing Bannerlord and Mordhua a lot lately with a bit of warzone thrown in. Sadly all my friends who play warzone are playing from midnight on and I am still working and have be up at 5am lol. Don't like Warzone solo very much.
    Much like myself, except replace Bannerlord with Wreckfest!

Will pick up Bannerlord when she's much more polished :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Much like myself, except replace Bannerlord with Wreckfest!

Will pick up Bannerlord when she's much more polished :D

Bannerlord is already a ton of fun. I've 100 hours put into it already sense It came out and thats a lot for me. Mods make it even better but I get ya. Its only going to get better with time. They are on the ball with updates though.

Wreckfest looks savage but I dont have a controller for the PC at the moment so havent picked it up yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    PZ is on my Steam wishlist alright, but I'd need to read more reviews before I buy (if I ever get around to that). How deep is it, in terms of management etc?

I haven't played a management game since theme hospital back in the today! I think it's quite in-depth. You could spend hours trying to perfect your park/zoo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭PyreOfHellfire

I started playing Command and Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars, last played it on the 360 over a decade ago. Holds up incredibly well to this day. But it's still very bittersweet knowing what EA did to Westwood studios. EA really are a poison.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Zulu wrote: »
    I want to try this.
    I love Stellaris. Sunk countless hours into it.
    ....but I bought Crusader Kings II, and couldn't get into it. The barrier to starting the learning curve completely put me off.

I presume Europa is just like CKII so thats putting me off.

....maybe I should try CKII again... ugh.

It's a wonderful game. You absolutely should. There was a just a sale on Humble Bundle recently. It seems to on sale there with the DLC quite often, especially lately. I got it half off which still cost over £100. Oddly, I don't regret that at all as I get so much fun out of it.

CK2 is free and there's DLC lists of recommended purchases all over.

I found this playlist helpful with CK2 as the guy is competent but still learning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbrlO8vuZS0&list=PLwH1xJhcXG0d2LzZ2y_FSz3QF3wRGxPa2

EnigmaticRose4 has a list here I'm working through:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLM69YTNGPPhPCYE6-56OqDH5lVsKD0gPm

For EU4, this was really good:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLH-huzMEgGWBbYuS-yMApLBZgVaug8NSQ

It's got a bit of banter which you may/may not enjoy but it's valid for the most recent patch.

The barrier to learning is significant but I think Paradox have ruined other strategy games for me. I can't even focus on one as I end up jumping to another.

Never touched Stellaris though. I own it as well.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Started playing Stellaris the base game is very overwhelming and daunting to learn, under €10 on cdkeys atm also. Discovered a Star Trek mod called ST: New Horizons this is a complete overhaul of the game music the lot.

Started playing Wreckfest. Good fun so far. Anyone else playing it?

Started playing Stellaris the base game is very overwhelming and daunting to learn, under €10 on cdkeys atm also. Discovered a Star Trek mod called ST: New Horizons this is a complete overhaul of the game music the lot.

Paradox tend to release games somewhat unfinished. A lot of the changes they make tend to lie behind DLC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

I've played about 250 hours on the multiplayer. It was great craic.
    I've spent more time on rocket league recently because I got a bit burned out on Wreckfest. But I see they are still adding new content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Returned to XCOM 2 once again. I still haven't finished it. Usually start up a fresh game, get 80% done then rage quit because a 90% shot misses.

Anybody rate Chimera Squad? I missed it at half price. I'll wait for it to come down in price again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Returned back to GTA V single player for the umpteenth time after not player for over a year. I played a game or two of multiplayer but I just love the single player part more. 3 main characters was a good choice in my opinion as they all completely different which is a nice change and it's nice to pop in and see what the others are up to by them selves especially Trevor.

Looks amazing still for an older game at 4k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Returned back to GTA V single player for the umpteenth time after not player for over a year. I played a game or two of multiplayer but I just love the single player part more. 3 main characters was a good choice in my opinion as they all completely different which is a nice change and it's nice to pop in and see what the others are up to by them selves especially Trevor.

Looks amazing still for an older game at 4k.

Every time i return I get as far as Trevor reaching the city, then give up.
    The story seems to lull at that point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Unbelievable game! Such a hidden gem. :D
    Picked it up for me and my buddie for 13 euro. Best purchase this year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Glebee

Burnt out of warcraft after the last month so started into Warzone. Dont usually do these online ahooters but this is great crack. Makes me nearly want to pick up the full game... Full game still around €50 at the moment. Not paying that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭stuff.hunter

Hell Let Loose and X-com :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

X Com Chimera Squad . Just finished it , solid addition and priced about correctly. But its not a patch on xcom 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭KilOit

Finally got rdr2 after much consideration, taking a break from they are billions after a good 100+ hours and completing all survival maps. Great game if you like to turtle in rts games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

KilOit wrote: »
    Finally got rdr2 after much consideration, taking a break from they are billions after a good 100+ hours and completing all survival maps. Great game if you like to turtle in rts games

I love the turtling maps but was hopeless at the missions where you start in the middle and can setup a limited defense and need to hold out . I could never beat the bloody things

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Finished HL:Alyx, which was outstanding....

then tried 'Firewatch' as one of the story guys from Alyx was involved.

It was..an odd experience. I think I enjoyed it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Just tried Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor for no reason other than that it had native linux support and I thought surely a Batman clone will be a bit o fun. Absolutely blown away at the quality of this game! Incredible graphics, combat puts Batman to shame, very cool progression system and story is interesting. Add top tier voice acting and proper use of licensed characters/properties and it really comes together. Can't believe I never touched this till now!

The linux version is performing immaculately. 1440p internal with a 720p OBS stream at the same time. 60+fps. No long loading screens or anything but I've moved this baby to the SSD now, it deserves the space.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭amusicalfrog

Just finished RE2 Remake and RE7 in quick succession. only previous experience with RE was RE 4 and 5, which I'd played years ago when I was about 10. RE2 Remake is truly phenomenal - I'd heard all the hype around Mr X and the RPD, but I actually wasn't aware of the fundamental gaming loop of the traditional RE games, that being the management of space, juggling of resources. I'm not sure how it played in the original RE2 but this felt truly sublime. Every decision I made, whether it was to leave a herb for later or to use gunpowder in a certain way, felt really impactful and helped immerse me in the game. I've played through Leon A - Claire B and will definitely be going back soon to replay as I was utterly blown away.

Then I went and played RE7, which I also really enjoyed. Recognised a similar gameplay loop to that which is in RE2 Remake, but streamlined a bit for the 2010s audience I suppose. Enjoyed the boss encounters but was pretty underwhelmed by the generic mobs (I think this is a common criticism). Combat felt pretty decent and I was enjoyably scared at times - I've realised that horror is a good genre for escapism these days. Flubbed the ending a bit imo but there are epilogue DLCs I've yet to tackle.

Think I'm going to tackle REmake next, then replay 4 and 5, and try to coax a friend into co-oping 6 with me. Will get RE3 Remake when it's next on sale.

Also finished Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order, yesterday. Telling that I just remembered that after writing this whole post. It was fine. Enjoyable enough but having recently replayed Dark Souls 1, 2, and 3, I was a little underwhelmed. Pretty to look at, anyway.

My plan to get really stuck into games after finishing final year is off to a solid start, anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I've been playing Picross 3D Round 2 after getting the half price thing off my nintendo. Really good so far.

Spent four hours mesmerised by RE4 yesterday. Controls were a bit more dated than I had expected, but my god level design and game feel like that doesn't age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Currently playing Hitman the first one that went to episodes. I own it a few years now and only played it for a short while before thinking I didn't like it but decided to give it another go this evening and I'm glad I did as it is brilliant not far into it only 4 hours play time. May end up picking up Hitman 2 unless I get worn out from this one.

It looks amazing at 4k and HDR.

continuing my RE binge with RE3 Remake. Finished it in about 4 hours, taking my time to explore. Short but pretty fun. Never played the original but to me it seems clear that they were going for something wildly different when compared to RE2. Nemesis was, both narratively and (in his first form) gameplay-wise, terrifying. The idea of an intelligent monster with a single-minded focus on killing you is just so cool and I imagine if I’d played the original as a kid it would have been seared onto my brain.

May end up picking up Hitman 2 unless I get worn out from this one.

It looks amazing at 4k and HDR.
    You can play all the Hitman 2016 levels in Hitman [2]018. I think I got it on sale for €25. Unfortunately progress/gear does no carry over so you have to do everything again. But damn I'm jelly about the 4K part. I can play it offline @1440p but to stream it (as I always do) I have to knock it down to 720p if I want reasonable FPS.

Just finished Splinter Cell, the first game. Was shorter than I remember and hard as nails but had a lot of fun. Had to apply a mod to get it to modern resolutions. Looking through the PCG list of Splinter Cell games they've all had atrocious PC version releases. All of them with harsh DRM, glitches or even no digital release like with Pandora's Tomorrow. There's an unholy version of double agent on steam. Jesus Christ Ubisoft. All that money and can't even bother to do a proper release for any of the most iconic Tom Clancy titles. I feel bad for even giving them any money when I got the Prince of Persia trilogy recently.

Also been playing Shadow Of War. I might've burnt myself out of it by playing 5-10hr sessions for the last week, because I don't feel like going anywhere near it for another while :pac: Other than that I just get some Gwent in now and then.

Just marathoned RE5 and oh my I wasn’t too impressed with this one. Core gameplay was grand but I thought the bosses were completely terrible, and the atmosphere of the game was dead. It really made me appreciate the line that RE4 towed between horror and action, because I was a little freaked out at points in that game, while I was pretty mellow my entire way through RE5. Missed the inventory tetris of RE4 and the merchant system was pretty underwhelming. The whole thing just overall seemed pretty sterile in comparison to the other games in the series. On to RE6 now and then I’ll play REmake, which will hopefully scare me out of the sense of security that the action games in the series have put me in.

• Advertisement

Just marathoned RE5 and oh my I wasn’t too impressed with this one. Core gameplay was grand but I thought the bosses were completely terrible, and the atmosphere of the game was dead. It really made me appreciate the line that RE4 towed between horror and action, because I was a little freaked out at points in that game, while I was pretty mellow my entire way through RE5. Missed the inventory tetris of RE4 and the merchant system was pretty underwhelming. The whole thing just overall seemed pretty sterile in comparison to the other games in the series. On to RE6 now and then I’ll play REmake, which will hopefully scare me out of the sense of security that the action games in the series have put me in.

RE6 has some fun bits. REmake has by far the best level design in the entire series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭Homelander

RE5 is an unbelievably good co-op game. The single player experience just isn't remotely the same. I would argue RE6 is the same even. Not a good single player game, and certainly not a very good "Resident Evil" game, but the co-op is insane fun and there's so much content.

RE6 in particular gets a lot of hate but I loved it for that reason. Played all the campaigns with a friend and loved every second.

Homelander wrote: »
    RE6 in particular gets a lot of hate but I loved it for that reason. Played all the campaigns with a friend and loved every second.

It's a sales-boosting design strategy. Customers literally need to get 2 copies to have a good experience. It worked amazingly for 5. And yes they're good action coop games it's too bad they picked the Resident Evil franchise as a sacrifice for it. They should've just made a new IP but Capcom and the current market is incapable of doing that. I never played 6 myself but I came across a YT channel of where they do nothing but the mercenaries mode for points. It looks fun. Hard to believe it came from the set-camera survival horror of the 1st game which is honestly still my favorite one.

Tarkov wipe incoming

Just started Minecraft Dungeons on Game Pass. Not a bad game to pass the time. Nothing too deep in it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement