Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What games have you been playing lately?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

RE6 has some fun bits.

I must have played a different game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I've been playing a bit of RE6, and the story is okay, but the AI is excruciating. Failed a QTE at one stage because the AI stood watching zombies attack me, leading to me crashing the plane I was trying to fly.

Still not the worst Resi game I've played though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Playing Space Haven.

Fun little Rimworldlike. Still in early access but looks great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Glebee

Getting stuck into some Overwatch. Picked this up ages ago for 3 euro, (must have been mistake on site) and although always wanting to play it never really did. IGN just done a 2020 review earlier in the week giving it a 10/10 and its reminded me what a cool game it really is. Epic have a free clone called Paladins, while its ok its just missing the classyness of Overwatch. It would be great if it was crossplaftorm.. I suppose Warzone has got me more interested in the online shooter scene that I stayed away from. Fcuking forgot to unsub my WOW account again this month.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I rage quit literally Overtwatch thanks to competitive toxicity for about 18 months.
    I actually installed it again yesterday yes its such a classy polished game.
    Rather enjoyable too for a pick up and play game these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Took a break from Hitman for a few days and played Colorado and a bit of Japan this evening. I searched high and low for the damn basement key in Colorado and eventually left the house and by luck headed over
    to a out building of the house and sitting there on the ground was the key I was looking for as
    that is where I killed the interrogator with my silenced pistol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I've spent much of the weekend getting my retro trip on with the Command & Conquer remastered collection. Thus far not disappointed. The graphics look fantastic (there's even the option to toggle between original and new look on demand in-game if you so choose) and the soundtrack is on point, but most importantly the game-play is still as good/challenging/occasionally maddening as it always was despite the game(s) being some of the earliest successes of the RTS genre over 20 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Returned to XCOM 2 once again. I still haven't finished it. Usually start up a fresh game, get 80% done then rage quit because a 90% shot misses.

Anybody rate Chimera Squad? I missed it at half price. I'll wait for it to come down in price again.
    Chimera Squad is ~€10.50 on cdkeys at the moment.

It's fun to play, the breaching is a nice change but the game is bug infested. Weapons disappear from inventory, characters become corrupted and lose abilities, frequent crashes as you evacuate at the end of missions. It's a relatively short game or at least I found it so once I got "in the zone". According to Steam I clocked up 38 hours of play in the 4 days I took to complete the game. I know about 12 of those hours were when I left it overnight to see if the "app not responding" issue would resolve itself after a particular mission, it didn't.

There's a mod on the Steam community to fix some of the issues. I was going to attempt creating a mod myself but the SDK is 95GB and I don't have that much hard drive space available.

I'll be happy to go back and play through it again once there's a bug fix for the more annoying issues like the medic losing their gremlin so they effectively became useless, the viper lost their tongue pull and poison spit ability and one of the psionics also lost some abilities.

In the meantime I have found Phoenix Point on the Epic Games store and it will more than fill the void.

Currently playing Watch Dogs 2 and it is pretty good, I'm really enjoying it. I think the first was a tiny bit better, well that's my opinion so far. I will wait till I'm further into the game or finished before I fully decide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭JoyPad

I think the first was a tiny bit better [...]

IMHO, the mechanics in the first one are a bit broken. You can carry all your weapons, and you can change them whenever, so you're never running out of ammo. Carry all the components, and you can craft stuff, so you never run out of throwables either. These things allow you to destroy everyone, and then do whatever hacking you're supposed to do.

I'm pretty sure the devs didn't intend for that to work. If you play the DLC with T-Bone, you will notice that they want you to complete your missions without killing anyone, which is basically how you're supposed to play the missions.

Meanwhile, in WD2, you can only carry two weapons, and you're rarely supposed to use them anyway. Most puzzles can be completed while sitting inside a car, and using the remote-controlled toys.

I'm not going to compare the stories. I've enjoyed them both, but different people will have different opinions here, and too much depends on what you were looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jonski

I spent the majority of the lockdown playing Red Dead Redemption 2 and my God what a ride . My son had been going on about it for ages saying I'd enjoy it because I like my westerns but I had pretty much stopped playing single player games years ago settling into the multiplayer to such a degree that I wouldn't even bother with the included story mode . RDR 2 is the complete opposite for me . I just finished the story mode a few days ago ( really really really took my time soaking it up ) and am struggling to motivate myself to get into the online mode .

Sea of Solitude: Artsy platformy sort of game and about a girl in a boat, a giant sea monster or something. Not a clue what the storyline is about. Memories, feelings, etc, etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I finally got Bioshock 2 Remastered running well while streaming. Loving it! So glad just to get into the world of Bioshock... the gameplay is just non stop fun and what I've been needing for a while in this gaming rut. The only downside is the atrocious sound design. Weakest bullet SFX I've ever heard in my life and a lot of the thumpy footsteps n' such are gone compared to the 1st game. Dunno what they were thinking with that. Some 'remaster'. Think I found some mods that can help with that, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

Playing a mix of CK2 and a game I picked up during the weekend called Outward.

Escape from Tarkov. Absolutely hooked again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

GTA V mostly. Been jumping on and off a lot of other games, not sticking to one.

I guess I'm just looking for time to pass while I wait for The Last of Us Part 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Other PS4 owners picking up Last of Us 2 and I start Binary Domain on PC

Terraria. Thought it was a little time-waster for my iPad during social distancing but after a while decided to get it on my laptop. It's been out like 10 years and I never knew it was actually a boss battle game. The difficulty of them makes each victory immensely satisfying and it can take many attempts to learn how to beat them. Just finished the three mechanical bosses and now prepping myself for Plantera and building some custom biomes. I'd say my heartrate was 200 in the final moments of my fight with the Destroyer.

Glebee wrote: »
    Sea of Solitude: Artsy platformy sort of game and about a girl in a boat, a giant sea monster or something. Not a clue what the storyline is about. Memories, feelings, etc, etc

Stuck with it till the end to see if the story finally made sence. Pompous twaddle imo after reading decent reviews. This went completely over my head.

• Advertisement

Currently playing Mafia III DLC. I played the base game at release and only just realised I had bought the season pass the same time so said I better start playing the DLC.

Hob. It was free on epic a few weeks ago. A beautiful looking little platformer that I had never heard much about previously. Not too taxing and well worth a playthrough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I got pissed off with all the bugs in Total War Warhammer and have barely played it since the last DLC came out. Their QC has gone down the toilet with COVID, so I'll leave them to fix it before I get back into it.

No harm. I got a new CPU recently, and I've been getting back into Stellaris. Took a few false starts before I remembered how to play, and a load has changed since I last got into it, but I've fallen into a Stellaris pit and can't get out. Hopefully the Steam summer sale is starting in the next week or so, and I might pick up the DLC I don't have.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I love Stellaris, but to play it with all the new DLC i'd have to spend a small fortune. Each of the main DLC's are €20, with a few of the story packs being €10.

I love it, but i don't €100 love it.

Kiith wrote: »
    I love Stellaris, but to play it with all the new DLC i'd have to spend a small fortune. Each of the main DLC's are €20, with a few of the story packs being €10.

I probably got it bundled 2 or 3 years ago with the DLCs available at the time in a Steam sale, and I'll only get the rest for a similar deal.

I think it's a good year and a half since the last major DLC, so I'd be optimistic at getting 50% or so off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Gbear wrote: »
    I got pissed off with all the bugs in Total War Warhammer and have barely played it since the last DLC came out. Their QC has gone down the toilet with COVID, so I'll leave them to fix it before I get back into it.

No harm. I got a new CPU recently, and I've been getting back into Stellaris. Took a few false starts before I remembered how to play, and a load has changed since I last got into it, but I've fallen into a Stellaris pit and can't get out. Hopefully the Steam summer sale is starting in the next week or so, and I might pick up the DLC I don't have.

I've noticed a few cosmetic ones. A shame but I really should know better than starting a new campaign with the DLC. I can't access the new hero without restarting my campaing which is annoying.

I've rediscovered Hearts of Iron IV. I'd started a French campaign and gotten left out of WW2 but at least I was surviving. Unfortunately, I borked the save after they updated the game so I restarted a few times and am hanging on.

Finished Crysis Warhead. Nice to have a fun little jaunt that doesn't outstay its welcome. I loaded up Crysis 2 yesterday. It's a much more linear and focused game but the nanosuit mechanics feel much tighter and more viable. It reminds me of the Batman Arkham predator scenarios and is a much bigger improvement over the jungle where a few hits would kill you regardless of the nanosuit.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Finally pieced together a pc that could game and got stuck into Fallout 4 and Far Cry 5

Very enjoyable

Kiith wrote: »

I think i've gotten all the dlcs for the outrageous price of €40.

I usually pick them up 75% off. They ain't going anywhere and they only get cheaper :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

I'm very into Two Point Hospital at the moment. I had avoided it because no hospital game has come close to my beloved Theme Hospital but then I discovered it is made by the same people and is an updated version of the game. I'm loving it!

I've noticed a few cosmetic ones. A shame but I really should know better than starting a new campaign with the DLC. I can't access the new hero without restarting my campaing which is annoying.

I've rediscovered Hearts of Iron IV. I'd started a French campaign and gotten left out of WW2 but at least I was surviving. Unfortunately, I borked the save after they updated the game so I restarted a few times and am hanging on.

Finished Crysis Warhead. Nice to have a fun little jaunt that doesn't outstay its welcome. I loaded up Crysis 2 yesterday. It's a much more linear and focused game but the nanosuit mechanics feel much tighter and more viable. It reminds me of the Batman Arkham predator scenarios and is a much bigger improvement over the jungle where a few hits would kill you regardless of the nanosuit.

3 is pretty much the best of both worlds.

Although I actually thought that 1 did implement the suit pretty well. It's fiddly, but arguably more flexible with better integration of hotkeys.

I really think there's a gap for a game that fulfills the promise of Crysis, with fluid implementation of the suit and the sort of emergent properties you'd expect from being able to toggle super strength, speed, in a fully interactive environment.

On the TW bugs, they created a beta to fix an issue where Weapon Strength wasn't affected by skills and tech, there was a really annoying bug with the movement stance button where it was difficult to click, but there's still issues with hero and Lord traits not being applied correctly, and a few other I can't remember off the top of my head.
    Woshy wrote: »
    I'm very into Two Point Hospital at the moment. I had avoided it because no hospital game has come close to my beloved Theme Hospital but then I discovered it is made by the same people and is an updated version of the game. I'm loving it!

Such a classic. I've it in on my wishlist and get around to it eventually.
    Taylor365 wrote: »
    I think i've gotten all the dlcs for the outrageous price of €40.

I usually pick them up 75% off. They ain't going anywhere and they only get cheaper

It's great being into 4X and other long-form strategy games.

Yes, they have a tendency to have a million pieces of DLC, but you can get one that's 5 years old for a song, after it's had it's full cycle of development, stick with that for years, and by the time you're done with it, you can move on to the "new" game for few quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

Such a classic. I've it in on my wishlist and get around to it eventually.

I bought it for my Switch Lite but found it hurt my hands to play for too long on it so also purchased on Steam. Apparently the Steam sale is soon so I should have waited. Oh well, I'm getting my moneys worth out of it anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

3 is pretty much the best of both worlds.

Although I actually thought that 1 did implement the suit pretty well. It's fiddly, but arguably more flexible with better integration of hotkeys.

I really think there's a gap for a game that fulfills the promise of Crysis, with fluid implementation of the suit and the sort of emergent properties you'd expect from being able to toggle super strength, speed, in a fully interactive environment.

On the TW bugs, they created a beta to fix an issue where Weapon Strength wasn't affected by skills and tech, there was a really annoying bug with the movement stance button where it was difficult to click, but there's still issues with hero and Lord traits not being applied correctly, and a few other I can't remember off the top of my head.

I got 3 on Steam the other day on sale. Had it on Origin but I prefer Steam. Good to know it's a decent title.

The original Crysis is by no means a bad game though your character is incredibly fragile. It's improved slighty in the sequel but the level design has come leaps forward not to mention the sound. You can actually use the environment whereas the generic jungle of the original just frustrated me rather than encouraged me to play with the suit's abilities.

I'd heard about the bugs in the DLC for WH2 but I never noticed myself. It's quite irritating that these things happen.

Also, CA seem intent on making people sign up on TW Access for some reason for some of the content. It's free but why not just put it on Steam? There's a giant Spider mount which looks cool but I've not had a chance to use it. At least I did not have to restart the campaign to get it.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Crysis 1 is the best imo. You can adjust the suit energy rates in the config files to make it so that you can actually sprint as much as he does in the cutscenes. The Origin DRM prevents me from playing the 3rd game - steam release doesn't remove it.

Of the Crysis games Warhead stands out for me for some reason for being the best. Cant remember why, its so lo9ng ago since I played the,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

I remember enjoying Crysis 2 multiplayer quite a lot back on the xbox 360.

Hob. It was free on epic a few weeks ago. A beautiful looking little platformer that I had never heard much about previously. Not too taxing and well worth a playthrough.

Just finished up with Hob. Great game. Anybody who got it free from Epic and has it sitting in there library, give it a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭eggy81

Finally getting properly stuck into Gta5 on pc after buying , starting and losing interest early in it on ps3 and ps4. Recently bought a pc and got the free version on the epic store. What a game.

eggy81 wrote: »
    Finally getting properly stuck into Gta5 on pc after buying , starting and losing interest early in it on ps3 and ps4. Recently bought a pc and got the free version on the epic store. What a game.

It's a good game up there with my favourites. I played it so many times and even restarted it all the way through recently after not playing for over a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Chanced my arm at Alien Isolation. Never played it before. I got about an hour into it and I had to turn it off, I haven't encountered any aliens yet but the idea that it was coming was making my hands sweat lol I'll come back to it when I've eaten something.

Chanced my arm at Alien Isolation. Never played it before. I got about an hour into it and I had to turn it off, I haven't encountered any aliens yet but the idea that it was coming was making my hands sweat lol I'll come back to it when I've eaten something.
    Try it in VR :D

I want to play it but I just cant handle the thought of that:eek::eek:

• Advertisement

Such a good game audio wise. Wear headphones.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm half deaf, and it's a massive disadvantage in Alien Isolation. Nope, nothing in this room to worry about...dead :P

I've a hankering now to play it again. I had it originally on the PS4 and finished it. It was getting so so reviews but i really loved it.

Im inbetween games these days so to hell with it, im installing Alien Isolation. Going to play with head phones and scare the crap out of myself..:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Amongst short spurts on other games im still plugging away at Guild Wars 2,its grown on me. I levelled a ranger class after getting frustrated in the first expansion with my original toon,an elementalist.

I've nearly finished the first expansion now with the ranger,heart of thorns,be onto path of fire then which is the latest expansion.

I've tried a few mmos lately:
    WoW
    Black Desert Online
    ESO
    Guild Wars 2

Guild Wars is the only one that has stuck. I wanted to really get to grips with an MMO as its a genre ive never really got into.

Tried Papers Please. I just don't get it. It's tedious.

Im inbetween games these days so to hell with it, im installing Alien Isolation. Going to play with head phones and scare the crap out of myself..:eek:

Ok so I did plan to download Alien Isolation but ended up downloading and playing Children of Morta instead. Anybody else give this a go? Really enjoyable game.. Better than getting the crap frightened out of you anyway.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Picked up Halo MCC a while back and finished Reach and the 1 HD update. Was about to start 2 but picked up Ion Fury on sale.

Ion Fury is great. Not sure if it's hard or if I'm terrible at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Mostly strategy games over the last couple of months.

Frostpunk - Played it a huge amount and I love it. Blows my mind when I see videos of people who are completing scenarios on extreme difficulties with no deaths and here I am scraping through on normal difficulty. I'm finding it surprisingly replayable too, usually with these kind of games I lose interest once I've played through everything once.

Unity of Command 2 - Looks and plays great. I'm playing through on easy and finding it tough but enjoyable. Seems like you need to have a very deep understanding of the mechanics to do well and some of the terminology is odd.

Company of Heroes 2 + all the DLC - Picked it up cheap in the steam sale, played it a little bit but not feeling it. It's a bit too frantic, I'm constantly using pause to look around the map trying to figure out what's going on. Maybe I'm just more comfortable with turn based games at the moment.

Cities Skylines - Got gifted the steam code by a kind user here on boards. Probably a good thing as I don't think it's for me, just not the kind of strategy game I'm interested in right now.

Planning to get Oxygen Not Included as it looks fun and kind of similar to Frostpunk

• Advertisement

The bloody Alien has not even appeared yet and im on edge. Now I know why do dont really play horror type games..

Advertisement