Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What games have you been playing lately?

Comments

Vicxas wrote: »
    Ive been ploughing through StarCraft II a lot this week,

This has gone well under the radar thanks for Fallout 4.

So far I've been really happy with it.

Yeah I've played 5 minutes of Fallout so far, it's been Starcraft all the way. I love me a good RTS. Artanis' dialogue is fairly drab though. There's nothing interesting about the noble honorable knight type character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

So, I only just mentioned it, and it's actually looking a lot more possible than it was before now, Nippon Ichi Software are releasing Disgaea on Steam, which means... Yomawari could indeed get a port if this is a success! :o

Take my money already!

So, I picked up Hatred at long last, and even knowing it was going to be terrible I still wanted to give it a go. Probably for the same reason I watched a few episodes of Highschool of the Dead, just to see how bad it was. I thought the game at least looked competent mechanically, and some of the features like destructable environments actually looked kinda cool, but the game is a mess. The stark black and white look of the game appears quite stylish at first, especially when broken up by flourishes of colour like explosions or lights from police cars, but once you get into it, it's less Sin City and more of a gray mess that actually interferes with gameplay than anything else. You can easily get stuck on objects in the game world that you didn't even notice because of how indistinct everything is, and how the various shades of gray just bleed into each other. All of this is compounded by seriously sluggish controls, the player character begins to move like a split-second after you press the keys, he lurches forward slowly at first before going full speed, and it's very noticable and sometimes it's hard to tell for a moment if you're stuck on the environment again or not. Maneuvering with WASD is pretty awful, so I tried using a controller, which was an improvement, but aiming was horrendously bad. Using keys and mouse vs. controller isn't so much an option of preference, it's a tradeoff between the least awful input and I'd rather be able to aim properly, so I needed that mouse.

Thematically the game is cringeworthy, there's no story, and you play a killer on a rampage. That's it. We all know what this game is; pure controversy bait, the developers knew exactly what they were doing with this, and yet apart from the distasteful subject matter, it's relatively tame, one might even say safe. It doesn't push any boundaries or break any taboos, it's no more gruesome than anything we haven't already seen in hundreds of other games, I can think of loads of things that are far more graphic than this. The controversy comes from the fact that the goal is to kill innocent civilians, it's in bad taste, yet never goes that bit further, it's edgy but still relatively safe. Let me explain what I mean when I say it's safe, you can't kill children in this game. I'm not saying that would've made the game any better, it certainly wouldn't, it's just something that I think really shows up the fact that the devs wanted to skirt controversy, but never be quite that controversial, edgy but not breaking any uncomfortable taboos. In spite of all of the allusions the devs are making, you cannot for example shoot up a school. You can kill children in other games, it's not advisable, but sometimes it's possible. You can kill child soldiers in Metal Gear Solid V. You'll fail your mission, but you can do it.

Without the controversy, I doubt the devs would have anything, it's laughable how incompetent this game is. You can preform "Executions" on people you've injured and it sometimes does this animation where your character kills the person by stabbing them, or breaking their neck or whatever, but while this animation is ongoing cops will stop shooting at you. You'll be there beating someone to death, while police circle around you or clip through you, patiently waiting for you to finish murdering someone before they resume firing. AI is terrible, civilians just run about a bit and barely try to escape from you, cops are just as bad except they run towards you and then they just kinda run around you. I went upstairs in a police station, they didn't try and follow me. There's no tactics involved, it's just run around shooting people, and it's not fun. This is a bad, bad game, and I feel sorry for anyone who bought this at full price. It's being packaged in cheap bundles now like the shovelware it is, which is where I got it, and even then I didn't really get my money's worth. I am glad I played it, even if it is just so I no longer have that particular itch to scratch. Don't expect to get more than a couple of hours out of it.

At least I got One Finger Death Punch to try out of that bundle, will report back on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Been playing Arkham Asylum now the last week or two. Its quit enojyable and was free in the Steamgifts group :p

Just broke the 400 hour mark in Arma 3. Disgusting. Soon to overtake Dayz as my most played game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

I just keep going back to Crusader Kings 2.
    No other game in my library has me hooked like this. I've 120+ hours under my belt, and I'm a very casual gamer. I'm lucky if I get 1 evening a week to play.

I bought EU4 in the Christmas sale, but still haven't touched it yet. There's plenty to keep me going in CK2.

I've yet to form the empire of Britania. I feel like I have just scratched the surface of this lovely game.

So, to report back on One Finger Death Punch, THISISFRIGGINAWESOME! :D

It's about as simple a game as it gets, but oh my god is that some ridiculous fun! Only gave it a quick 15 minute blast, but jesus that was impressive as hell! Definitely made up for Hatred.

Finished up DmC: Devil May Cry

That was a lot of fun ;)

Woop woop! Finished another chapter of The Evil Within, may actually finish this game at some stage! :D

Also, more One Finger Death Punch! That game is ridiculously fun, I was skeptical of how highly it was rated, but god damn I can see why!

Sinking my teeth back into The Witcher again, I want to have 1 & 2 finished before getting 3, and I'm honestly itching to get 3. Good god have I been whoring it around though, all Geralt does is fight and ****, and I didn't get much fighting done this evening :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

Links234 wrote: »
    Sinking my teeth back into The Witcher again, I want to have 1 & 2 finished before getting 3, and I'm honestly itching to get 3. Good god have I been whoring it around though, all Geralt does is fight and ****, and I didn't get much fighting done this evening :p

if it's not too late, make a backup of a save very late in chapter 1

the end of 1 is where the story diverges, so if you ever want to go back and play the other side of the story (and it is quite different in chapter 2), all you'll have to do is reload that backed up save

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Fallout 4 ..

jaysis that game is awesome! Sure it's got it's flaws, but they are minor in the grand scheme of the game itself. New beta patch is next week too on steam :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'm working through Fallout 4 at the moment, with a side of Assassins Creed Rogue when I want something a bit faster paced. Rocket League is the quick 5 minute game!

I'm planning to move onto Assassins Creed Syndicate after those, and Star Wars Battlefront will be my final purchase this year.

Finished Starcraft legacy of the void. I may go back to the Witcher 3 before touching fallout 4. It seems to unpolished at the moment without patches or mods.

strelok wrote: »
    if it's not too late, make a backup of a save very late in chapter 1

the end of 1 is where the story diverges, so if you ever want to go back and play the other side of the story (and it is quite different in chapter 2), all you'll have to do is reload that backed up save

Ah I'm way further in than that.

Ah I'm way further in than that.

it's been a while, but I do remember a massive long list of save games in the witcher taking up buckets of needed HD space.. so maybe there's one still there if you look

it's not a huge issue, as you probably wont want to jump right into the other story right away but it will just save you running through chapter 1 again. iirc there's not much in chapter 1 that can be done all that differently.

Well, I plan to jump straight back into Witcher 2 when I'm finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

strelok wrote: »
    it's been a while, but I do remember a massive long list of save games in the witcher taking up buckets of needed HD space.. so maybe there's one still there if you look

it's not a huge issue, as you probably wont want to jump right into the other story right away but it will just save you running through chapter 1 again. iirc there's not much in chapter 1 that can be done all that differently.

I think every save you make is a seperate file.

All the quicksaves, all the autosaves after area transitions. It's handy to be able to go back but you probably shouldn't have 2GB of save games in a 15GB game.

Making serious progress through this chapter of The Evil Within now :D

I had been inching my way through the mansion level, clearing one room at a time and running back to the save room, and getting so freaked out I couldn't play more than 15-20 mins at a time. This next chapter is such a change of pace, it's just the regular enemies so far, so I can sneak around and get sneaky kills on them, lure them into traps, it kinda feels more like I'm the one doing the stalking and I love this game for that! I'm still getting killed in quite a few different ways, but after getting splatted by a gigantic fan-blade, I loved luring a zombie out into it and seeing him get his head shorn off gloriously! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Glebee

Being playing The Banner Saga since finishing off Witcher 3. Interesting little game, nice story and easy gameplay, think ill finish out and then who knows??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭wyrn

Moved from Trine to Trine 2. There were one of those games in my Steam library where I suddenly noticed I had them. No idea when I got them. I assume in some Steam Sale of yesteryear.
    They're fun little games. It doesn't take to much mental power to play. I use them as a break between work. Not too engrossing but just enough to keep me coming back.

Currently debating Trine 3. It's currently on offer this weekend, €21.99 or €15.29 for the Frozenbyte collection which includes Trine & Trine 2 - go figure.

Do I really need Trine 3. I'm broke but tempted.

I've heard a lot of bad things about Trine 3, apparently it's unfinished and they'll probably never get around to finishing it. Pity, because I really loved Trine 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

System Shock 2

I'm finally starting to not completely suck at it. It is cool but I can't shake the feeling that I just want to finish it up so I can play System Shock 1. I'm past the point of no return, though so I should probably stick with it rather than dropping it for the first game. Unless any SS fans want to convince me otherwise?

Also tried House of the Dead but I can't get it working on my computer. There's no audio, the game fecks up the resolution of my monitors and jails my cursor to my 3rd monitor even though the game renders on my main monitor. Feckin' crazy. Let me know if anyone's gotten it working correctly on a modern machine (W7 or Arch Linux)

Hammering away at The Witcher, onto Chapter IV now. Hopefully I'll finish it soon, I really want to get onto 2 soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

I've been playing Elder Scrolls Online pretty much solid for the past week. I bought it when it came out and only played an hour or so. Not sure why I decided to give it another go, but I'm delighted I did!
    Also recently been playing Mad Max, and The Witcher 3.
    Mad Max is good fun, though it can get boring as its a lot of the same.
    I've tried to get into The Witcher, but I just can't! I've had it since release, and I tend to play for a few hours, then put it away for another month or more. I was the same with Witcher 2...You'd think I would have learnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I finished off the main quest in Fallout 4, and did a number of the side quests. I think I've about 30 hours into it, and I can't say that I loved it. It's was an okay game, that was ruined for me with how some key decisions were handled, some reactions didn't make sense. I'll probably go back to it once the DLC comes out, but I think I'll move onto Assassins Creed Rogue full time before moving onto AC: Syndicate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Got wolfenstein in the sale. It's a bit of fun.

Links234 wrote:
    Hammering away at The Witcher, onto Chapter IV now. Hopefully I'll finish it soon, I really want to get onto 2 soon.

I'm starting straight into 2 this week.
    Can't wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10 Paul Daly

Fallout 4 ..

jaysis that game is awesome! Sure it's got it's flaws, but they are minor in the grand scheme of the game itself. New beta patch is next week too on steam :)

In fairness if your moaning about the jank in a bethesda game you have completely missed the point. That or you have literally just started playing one and have yet to succumb to the crushing addiction that is any single one of them
    ScumLord wrote: »
    Got wolfenstein in the sale. It's a bit of fun.

Got this on steam the last time it went on sale. Very pleasantly surprised. I hear the DLC that came out for it is worth a bash as well but havn't gotten round to it yet.

I'm starting straight into 2 this week.
    Can't wait.

I'll be happy to finally play it through properly too, it's been in my library since the big Summer Sale haul of 2013, where most of my backlog came from. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,579 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I couldnt stick out the Witcher,ended up moving onto 2 and enjoy it a lot. Im glad i did,otherwise my first experience with the Witcher series would have been forcing myself to play through a game i was struggling to like.

Have 3 waiting when im done with 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,770 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Rainbow 6 siege all day, tis unreal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Glebee

Never really gave GTA4 a chance but ive gone back to it. Why not all the DLC is sitting in my library unplayed. Picked up the Witcher 3 DLC as well. Also dipping into Wolfenstein:The New Order. That should keep me going until the Christmas sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

Trine 2

Arma 2 day z mod overpoch

Bf3

warframe

Reinstalled Banished today, because I needed something relaxing to play. Pretty tightly wound today. :o

Links234 wrote:
    Reinstalled Banished today, because I needed something relaxing to play. Pretty tightly wound today.

I really struggle to get back into Banished.
    Every time I boot it up I stare blankly at the opening screen for a while, then close it again.
    I think it's a bit too sandboxy for me.
    I respond better to objectives in games like that.

You need to be in a certain mood to play it too. It's surprisingly bleak.
    Although it is strangely calming too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Reinstalled Banished today, because I needed something relaxing to play. Pretty tightly wound today. :o
    Send the children down the mines! :D

Gave Skullgirls a try on my own, was fun. tried playing with herself, I was using the controller, she was using the keyboard, and.. she freakin' hammered me straight off the bat! Couldn't win a round with her at all! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I really struggle to get back into Banished.
    Every time I boot it up I stare blankly at the opening screen for a while, then close it again.
    I think it's a bit too sandboxy for me.
    I respond better to objectives in games like that.

You need to be in a certain mood to play it too. It's surprisingly bleak.
    Although it is strangely calming too.

Have you tried the Colonial Charter mod? Dont think i could ever play vanilla again after trying it. It adds loads of stuff that gives the game some much needed variety.

Have you tried the Colonial Charter mod? Dont think i could ever play vanilla again after trying it. It adds loads of stuff that gives the game some much needed variety.

I'll give it a try this weekend.
    Thanks for the tip!

have they sorted out borderless windowed for the latest versions of banished yet? one of the updates broke it completely a while back and there was no update for ages on getting it working again.

it's just not the kind of game i can play without alt tabbing in and out regularly

• Advertisement

Made some progression in System Shock 2 last night. Trying focus on a hacking/endurance build with some minor research and repair skills. I die a lot. I have a surplus of med hypos, anti toxin, radiation meds and ammo... but my pistol keeps breaking hence why I put a little into repair (2). Now I can at least unjam the pistol so I don't have to go around wrenching everything. I only like to use the wrench on hybrids if I get the drop on them or they're point blank so I can circle cheese em'.

The monkeys can eat a bullet to their blue brains. Impossible to hit with melee. Don't like that I can't hack cameras.

Fallout 4 and COH2

After finally completing F4 i started fresh again just to build a new sanctuary hills :D

COH2 co-op is always fun, even when you're being trolled with friendly fire :)

Finished Starcraft, back to the Witcher 3. I still haven't finished the intro in Fallout 4

Girlfriend bought me Undertale yesterday, am playing it now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Started playing Life is Strange. Just finished episode 2 and enjoying it so far. Despite all the forced "cool" teenage lingo.

Also started Xcom Enemy Within. Had it for ages and only getting round to it now.

Also the odd bit of F4 though getting a bit burned out from it now.

Friday night! For those who aren't going out... are you gaming?

I think I'll try Lost Planet 2 with some friends.

I have to go out but I'd love to get my teath stuck into Rome 2 TW.

I'll just make sure I go easy on the drink tonight. I need my wits about me for a hangover day of gaming tomorrow!

I think I'll try Lost Planet 2 with some friends.

Yep :D
    I have to go out but I'd love to get my teath stuck into Rome 2 TW.

I'll just make sure I go easy on the drink tonight. I need my wits about me for a hangover day of gaming tomorrow!

Rome 2 is pretty decent, but it's also very very time consuming like all the TW games :/ the english accents are bit annoying at times too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Anno 2070.

Like FTL the best games are often those where you're royally fcked but press on as much as possible and try to sustain and develop what you can.

• Advertisement

Undertale. :)

piq_344268_100x100.png

I can really see the appeal, and I'm rather glad I'm playing it now, rather than a while down the line. It's managed to surprise me right from the get go, the soundtrack is gorgeous, and it's all kinds of charming. Not that long into it, but god it's punny. :o

Advertisement