Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord threatening me with bills

Options
  • 23-06-2015 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5 KieraMetzy

Hi, myself and a group of friends (students) rented a holiday home there a while ago. Now just because we're students doesn't mean that I'm unjustly think we're being treated harshly so please read on.

There was a substantial deposit on this place and in my mind it would cover any accidental damage in the case that we would lose it and lose it we did. I'm not bitter about that because well, there were a couple of things that I'd be pissed off at if it was my house. What I mean is one guy threw up a bit on the floor beside his bed. He's quite the tidy guy so by no means did he leave a mess. He did his very best to clean up the mess and to be honest by the time we were leaving it was practically unnoticeable. I still expected to lose the deposit over that, after all it's fair enough.

Now for the last couple of days of the holiday I had to return home to work so I left the place in the care of my friends. I got a call the morning they left from a very aggravated landlady about how the beds had been urinated in and an unacceptable amount of rubbish had been left behind (six refuse bags for a house of thirteen rented for a week). While I'll never know what happened, I know these people and I doubt they wet the beds but really who knows. Certainly it was the product of drunkenness and not at all malicious. She claims that the mattress protectors were urinated through and that the mattresses had to be replaced. Plausible but I find it hard to believe it happened and that the mattress protectors failed so badly.

One thing I know (and I perfectly understand how stupid it was, I'd personally slap someone for doing this) that happened was that some water was hoovered up and quite rightly it did damage to the hoover. Again, fine, that alone should forfeit the deposit.

Lastly there seemed to be some issue with dirt on the ceiling, which I believe to have been the product of a couple of Champagne bottles.

Now the landlady has (understandably) told me that the deposit is forfeit. She now says that I must compensate her for two new mattresses, associated bedclothes, mattress protectors, paint for the ceiling, removal of rubbish, the hire of two cleaners, a new hoover.
    Here's where I'm a bit worried and unsure. First of all, it's right that the deposit, which was over three hundred euro, should cover the hoover and ceiling. That's fair and I'm actually quite ashamed that this went on. The deposit well covers this and I believe that it covers the damage for the one duvet that I know was damaged. This lady though wants to bill us even further, threatening action if we don't pay.
    The removal of the rubbish I don't understand and I just don't know how the mattresses were soaked through if they had protectors on them. I understand this to just be a bit of a misunderstanding though, for she claims that there is an unmistakable smell of urine in two of the rooms (I'd be more inclined to believe it is a cocktail of the remnant of the vomit and perhaps sweating, the house was very warm).

There's also the messy matter of the ESB cost. It, for the week, came to 72 euro, however she says that this cost comes out of the deposit. One thing though is that initially we'd overpaid by one hundred euro (my mistake) which she now claims to be part of the deposit. Even if we lose the deposit, shouldn't this hundred still more than cover ESB costs?

Now I know that few are likely to believe me, I'm a student, but that's the God's honest truth of what I know and even with the information there I'd like if someone could answer my question:
    Am I obligated to pay the bills that this woman is issuing me? Should the deposit no cover this? Has she the right to claim that extra hundred we paid as part of her deposit. If no, then can that be used to pay for the ESB cost instead?

I want to stress that absolutely none of this damage was intentional. Careless yes, malicious, no. What do I do? I don't want any of the money back, I just want to leave this whole mess behind me and not be chased after for costs I can't afford and believe I don't justly have to pay.

Thanks to whoever got to the end.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

KieraMetzy wrote: »
    I want to stress that absolutely none of this damage was intentional.
    Who signed the lease, and have you talked to the rest since?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Also have you asked your friends what went on while you weren't there the past few days, and why the landlady is making these claims?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Sarn

Regardless of whether or not the damage was intentional, the damage was still done. You need to have a word with your friends to find out what went on at the end.

Mattress protectors won't stop urine going through them unless they are plastic lined.

Ultimately she will need to provide receipts for anything she claims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

She'll need reciepts but expect an angry enough landlord to summons you. Don't ignore it if they do. In the mean time I'd pay up personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

I presume you rented the house in your name as the LL has your contact details, and you transferred the cash. The deposit doesn't near cover the damage that was done here. How much does she want for the damage, and are your friends likely to share the cost with you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 KieraMetzy

the_syco wrote: »
    Who signed the lease, and have you talked to the rest since?

It was all done through rent.ie so I assume I checked some box or agreement online. I've talked to them all. I can definitely confirm that one of the girls hoovered up water (dear God am I pissed off about that). They all claim ignorance about the urination so I really couldn't know.

One of the other girl's parents went down to pick her up and according to him all was well so I really don't know. They also all say that the local person who manages the house was happy with them after a walk about the house so I really am unsure.

She says that upon payment she'll provide receipts.

Ah this is so stressful!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

It was all done through rent.ie so I assume I checked some box or agreement online. I've talked to them all. I can definitely confirm that one of the girls hoovered up water (dear God am I pissed off about that). They all claim ignorance about the urination so I really couldn't know.

One of the other girl's parents went down to pick her up and according to him all was well so I really don't know. They also all say that the local person who manages the house was happy with them after a walk about the house so I really am unsure.

Ah this is so stressful!

HOw many of you were in the house for the week?

Stheno wrote: »
    HOw many of you were in the house for the week?

13, though some arrived late or left early.

13, though some arrived late or left early.

How big was the house ?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Welcome to the adult world.

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    How big was the house ?:eek:

It was a very nice house, it slept 13.

It was a very nice house, it slept 13.

Well for the moment I'd agree that you've no choice but to pay up, and request receipts.

For a week, if all of that damage was done, it's fairly excessive.

You'll have to ask your friends if they are willing to split the extra cost, you'll be looking at at least twice the deposit that you'll be asked to pay I'd imagine.

Key thing for you from this, is that if you are the named renter, don't leave people to run amok in your absence.

As it was a holiday let for a week, I don't think the PRTB applies here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I stopped reading after the OP said his adult friends pissed in their beds.... Really ...

I stopped reading after the OP said his adult friends pissed in their beds.... Really ...

It's unlikely that they did, that's the point of this post. I've known them for a long time and while I can't be 100% certain, I'm pretty sure it's a misunderstanding. Either way, thanks for the advice guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,293 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

OP you admit the damage except the wet bed whish you weren't there to confirm, and you're looking for ways to avoid paying for damage?

Seriously read your own post. It's full of admission of guilt followed by irrelevant details which you seem to think should make it less expensive. My favourite was Guy vomed on the floor and half arsed cleaned it up (but he's a clean guy in general). So what if he's usually clean. I bet his vomit is fairly smelly now that it's still in the carpet.

Students or not you damaged the floor, hoover, (beds maybe). Left rubbish behind. It sounds like you have a fairly high tolerance for filth and low regard for other people's property.

Expensive life lesson. Be sure to get receipts to make sure you don't pay any more than you owe but rest assured that you now owe money on account of your behaviour

I thought this was a leg pull when I read it but I think you might actually be serious. You thrashed the ladies house and now you must pay up. Simple. Next time cop yourself on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Well, what was the arrangement supposed to be for the rubbish? Was it made clear that you were responsible for disposing of it, or were bins provided?

Would it be possible to get in touch with the person who did the satisfactory walk through and get some clarification?

It sounds a bit like your friends decided to have a "trash the gaff" party in your absence, TBH.

It's unlikely that they did, that's the point of this post. I've known them for a long time and while I can't be 100% certain, I'm pretty sure it's a misunderstanding. Either way, thanks for the advice guys.

I believe the landlady. Why should the damage stop with vomit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Wolff

So aside from the vomit, the piss, ruined beds, house overflowing with rubbish, damaged ceiling from champagne corks (now there is a first world problem) water damaged hoover and excessive sweating, not to mention an electricity bill that a grow house would be proud of, yep I think your landlady may a have a point in looking for damages - expecially as its coming into peak season =)

I especially like the wonderful, its not a smell of piss - its a mix of sweat and puke, brilliant - ah to be a student again - pay up !

I recall another thread some time ago where a student was complaining bitterly because a home owner cancelled a holiday let when they discovered that the party was made up of students, several under 18 and without a credit card to guarantee the deposit....

Now I understand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

When I started college many moons ago, the first week I was in Dublin my flatmate and good friend decided to have a party and invited some friends from his journalism year in Rathmines.

At its peak there were about 200 people crammed into the flat, and a journo student who is now a household name pissed in my friend's bed and told the next door neighbour to f**k off, whereupon she called the gardai. A few things got broken but in hindsight we got off lightly. If you let other people in a house you're on the hook for, don't expect them to respect it.

Still, I got off with a hot girl, so every cloud and all that ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

I'd reverse that sequence of events, but otherwise it sounds like you're on the hook for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

A few years ago me and my ex rented a place down the south east for a few days. Renter tried to claim we caused some damage. I asked her to email me the photos of the damage we supposedly caused and she did. What she didn't expect was photos back with a copy of the days Irish Examiner in every photo of all the rooms I took the morning we left the place. She never emailed me back.

I'd reverse that sequence of events, but otherwise it sounds like you're on the hook for it.
    I agree - she should be reimbursed for the expense, but AFTER you have proof that the repairs and cleaning were actually done.

And in future I am sure you will know better than to take responsibility for the behavior of your "friends" when you are not there. It is nasty of them to put you in this position.

I agree - she should be reimbursed for the expense, but AFTER you have proof that the repairs and cleaning were actually done.

And in future I am sure you will know better than to take responsibility for the behavior of your "friends" when you are not there. It is nasty of them to put you in this position.

Agreed, it's the friends I'd be annoyed with here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Ah this is so stressful!

House was inspected and found to be in good order so you should tell the auld wan to sling her hook

foggy_lad wrote: »
    House was inspected and found to be in good order so you should tell the auld wan to sling her hook

Well, the OP has no proof of that, I think? "They also all say that the local person who manages the house was happy with them after a walk about the house so I really am unsure."

They may all say that, but without an email or something in writing, that does not help the OP. They all said they didn't harm the beds too. That is why I think OP should get in touch if possible with the person who did the walk through, though I guess by now that will be just closing the barn door.

Live and learn - there are plenty of landlords in the US who have had to deal with this sort of behavior from J1 students.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'm sure you'll hear that;
    a) they have no money, as they're students
    b) the house was grand
    c) they never signed any lease
    d) they know "their rights" and won't pay anything

Sadly, you may lose a few friends, but you will lose a chunk of cash.

Oh, and get receipts. Ensure the dates make sense, and that anything without receipts you don't pay for. Of course, don't tell them this until after the person has "bought" the beds.

the_syco wrote: »
    I'm sure you'll hear that;
    a) they have no money, as they're students
    b) the house was grand
    c) they never signed any lease
    d) they know "their rights" and won't pay anything

Sadly, you may lose a few friends, but you will lose a chunk of cash.

Oh, and get receipts. Ensure the dates make sense, and that anything without receipts you don't pay for. Of course, don't tell them this until after the person has "bought" the beds.

I hope that the OP did not pay the deposit out of her own pocket, that at least that was split 13 ways.

I would also go back to the rent.ie site and check the terms and conditions of the rental. It would seem to me that the electric bill and the rubbish removal should have been included in the rent, and if they were not it should be specified. 6 bags of rubbish does not sound out of line for 13 people on a week's stay. Unless of course the six bags of rubbish were empty bottles and cans left all over the house for the owner to pick up and dispose of. I would also check that the house was specified to sleep 13, or if the students decided it could sleep 13 if they crammed people on every surface not intended for sleeping and the owner was unaware.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Expensive lesson to learn but if your name in on the lease, you need to be the last person to leave because you will be the fall guy if your friends let you down. Sorry OP!

Advertisement