Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT worker planning on working remotely from UK in Dublin

Options
  • 23-06-2015 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I am working as a computer programmer in uk. I am Irish and have been working in London for 2 years now.

I am planning on keeping my job and working remotely from back home in Dublin. All agreed with my employers.

I was wondering about the best and legal solution for getting paid and keeping as much money as I can.

If I get paid into an Irish bank account would I have to pay both UK and Irish tax?

Also I think that transferring money straight from one account to another may have bad exchange rate?

I plan on living out the rest of my life in Dublin so I don't really.

Another possible solution would be getting paid into my UK bank account, then travel over, withdraw, exchange to Euro (With best possible exchange rate) and then deposit in my Irish acount.

Hoping someone has experience with this as I know nothing about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Are you staying on as an employee or will you be self employed invoicing the company in UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 WesleySkeen

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Are you staying on as an employee or will you be self employed invoicing the company in UK?

Nah, I will be staying on with them. The latter is not an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

This is a common enough scenario around the border where people work in the north and live in the south. AFAIR you pay your primary tax in the UK but pay a differential in the republic.

Revenue.ie has a weighty section in the double taxation treaty

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

This is a common enough scenario around the border where people work in the north and live in the south. AFAIR you pay your primary tax in the UK but pay a differential in the republic.

Revenue.ie has a weighty section in the double taxation treaty

I'm not sure if someone living in Dublin counts as a frontier worker or not. The website is about them http://borderpeople.info/ but seems to focus on the North.

Usually, if you want to live in thsi country as an employee of a company, then they company needs to operate the Irish PAYE system for you. Or they need to employ you through an umbrella company of some sort.

It'd say it would be well worth consulting an accountant with experience in this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Nah, I will be staying on with them. The latter is not an option.

I consult for company abroad (USA) and live in Ireland. The only way I could do it was to work for myself and then invoice them. They want to hire me but so far the only way we can figure out how to do this is for them to set up a company in Ireland and for me to work for that company.

• Advertisement
Advertisement