Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Dublin.... need some advice!

Options
  • 23-06-2015 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Long story short:

-live miles out in the sticks in the literal backarse of nowhere
    -after spending ages on sw
    -finally got a job offer but its in Dublin (Bolton Street in D1)
    -its 23K a year
    -commuting is not an option so going to relocate

BUT

I don't know Dublin at all and have only been there a handful of times so haven't the foggiest about where I should be looking for accommodation or what way the public transport is etc

Also I'm absolutely skint so going to have to try and couch surf or something until I get first weeks wages.

How do I go about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭cgcsb

You can rent a room around the dorset street/drumcondra road area. The rent there is very reasonable compared to other areas. Commuting from Drumcondra you can get a bus to Dorset street and walk to Bolton street in about 15-20 mins, or just cycle. Alternatively if you want even cheaper rent you could go out to Santry/Beaumount/Swords but a slightly longer commute. I'd say Swords is too long of a commute but that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

You wouldn't really get a room any cheaper in Swords either, it is as expensive as some part of the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭bren2001

Bolton Street is right in the heart of town. You could get 100 different suggestions of where to live. Your best bet is to go off and look on Daft etc. at places you could rent and come back with a few areas you are thinking of. People can then suggest what they think of the area and what it will be like to live there.

You can literally pick most parts of Dublin as most areas service town with some form of public transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

If you can find a room in a shared house or flat around Smithfield / Stoneybatter / Arbour Hill, it would be handy too and very walkable to Bolton St. These areas, Smithfield especially, might look a bit scummy at first glance but they're grand really. Unfortunately you're going to get gouged on your rent wherever you go in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

Phibsborough would be handy either, along with most of the North Circular Road. The North Circular gets notably rougher once you go East of Dorset St. and start heading towards Summerhill. I once rented down that end and wouldn't do it again or recommend it to anyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

Phibsborough would be ideal .Just a 10 minute walk .

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

gman548 wrote: »
    Long story short:

-live miles out in the sticks in the literal backarse of nowhere
    -after spending ages on sw
    -finally got a job offer but its in Dublin (Bolton Street in D1)
    -its 23K a year
    -commuting is not an option so going to relocate

BUT

I don't know Dublin at all and have only been there a handful of times so haven't the foggiest about where I should be looking for accommodation or what way the public transport is etc

Also I'm absolutely skint so going to have to try and couch surf or something until I get first weeks wages.

How do I go about this?

You can search by map view in daft so you can see how close places are to Bolton St.

Advertisement