Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a Garage

Options
  • 23-06-2015 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I am looking for some advice on building a garage

1. Does it really matter if I go with an A roof on the garage or a hip roof if I have a hip roof on the house?
    2. What is the norm when building a garage, 9" block or cavity? Basically all I'm going to have in it is turf in the back and a place to store bicycles, lawnmower the usual?
    3. What would the rough cost be in building this as the raft is already down and was when we bought the house. Dimensions are approx 33ft x 18ft and a garage door opening of 12' and a side door of 8ft.

Ideally I'd prefer to slate is as this would match the house.
    So basically I was looking for a rough cost on.
    Materials from the blocks, sand, cement, roof, doors, facia and soffit.

I live in the Galway area so any help/guidance would be gratefully appreciated so I know what the ballpark figure would be.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

There's a lot of questions there with a lot of variable answers. To start with have you planning permission to build a garage. The fact that you have the base implies that pp was obtained at some point. But is only good for five years.
    Is it attached to the house or stand alone. Is it going to be single or double story.
    How many Windows ? are there any Velux windows.?
    Apex gable or hip is more a personnel choice but most people keep it in a similar style to the house.
    What type of Build single or Double leaf Block work and what type of finish is it going to have. CC usually insist on the Garage roof matching the house roof.
    If you search this thread there's plenty of info covering this subject.
    I would suggest you build it Double leaf and insulate either during the build or fill the cavity after. I'd also consider reducing the Garage door width to 9 Ft unless you want to drive a Tractor in and out.
    As to cost ? are you building it yourself, using direct labour or using a contractor. All will have a different price range.
    If you can answer these questions then you'll be able to get a better costing average.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 PaddyGalwayGuy

Thanks for getting back to me Sky6...

PP was obtained and all good on that point.
    The house is a stand alone and the garage is situated away from the house,
    It will be a single story house as we have a dormer house.
    Possibly 1 window (not sure on the size), 1 door and 1 9 ft door as you mentioned, don't have a tractor so I won't need to have an opening that big :-)
    Since the house is dormer and PP is for hip roof I presume I'd have to stick to that type (not sure if there is a huge difference between A or Hip).
    I want to keep it in same style as house (slate roof), finish on the house is nap plaster so again would keep it in line with house, slate roof.
    So big question I had was the block, is there a big price difference in going with a 9" or having a double leaf.
    Possibly use direct labour to build this.

Thanks again,

Ciaran

Thanks for getting back to me Sky6...

PP was obtained and all good on that point.
    The house is a stand alone and the garage is situated away from the house,
    It will be a single story house as we have a dormer house.
    Possibly 1 window (not sure on the size), 1 door and 1 9 ft door as you mentioned, don't have a tractor so I won't need to have an opening that big :-)
    Since the house is dormer and PP is for hip roof I presume I'd have to stick to that type (not sure if there is a huge difference between A or Hip).
    I want to keep it in same style as house (slate roof), finish on the house is nap plaster so again would keep it in line with house, slate roof.
    So big question I had was the block, is there a big price difference in going with a 9" or having a double leaf.
    Possibly use direct labour to build this.

Thanks again,

Sorry for the delay but I was away for a few days.
    All sounds good so you all the bases covered. Single story is a lot easier and cheaper as no Scaffolding required. I cant emphasis how important insulation is. Just because your not living in it doesn't mean you should skimp on build quality.
    I've built a couple of Garages in different houses we've owned over the years.
    My latest one is a two story built with double leaf Block work with a 5 inch cavity. I also intended to get it pumped but haven't done so yet. Partly because it's really
    cosy and pleasant as it is. Although I probably will still get it done when I'm getting the house done eventually. over the years I've had many expensive tools ruined by the cold and damp air in the garage. I haven't suffered any of that this time around. So I'd never recommend to anyone to build single leaf not even single leaf cavity blocks.
    As to cost the bigger items usually work out the cheapest. it's the extra's and unforeseen items that cost the most.
    But you should build it for around 10k or less if your doing it yourself.

Thanks a million for the information, I will take all on board and begin the process of pricing material.

Sky6... thank you

:-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Czhornet

to help with pricing, 10 blocks needed per square metre.
    cement 4.50 to 5.00 a bag
    look on Donedeal for new pvc windows, some are spare because of wrong dimensions (you can build your ope to suit the window)
    not sure on slates prices I think around 1800 per thousand
    Timber, check with local hardware.

dont forget electrics, very handy to have a light or socket there for those long dark nights getting the turf!!

Thanks a million for the information, I will take all on board and begin the process of pricing material.

Sky6... thank you

:-)

No problem if you need any help just let me know. Mine is self built two story and looks great. A few people though I had built another House but it's only a Garage.
    Don't forget to provide a duct for cables from the House.

Good luck with it.

Advertisement