Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to choose a wet food

• 23-06-2015 10:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

I'm going to be switching Ra to wet food since she's decided that she's too old to eat dry food now. I know what to look for in dry food but I'm completely lost when it comes to wet. I've had her on a fish-based food for years since she's got dodgy digestion, and since all my money now goes on vet bills price is a concern. Please help me get Old Dog eating!

018390297f90e5ea8bcfc0e233c7c4331207b6aefd_zpsmltclzy7.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I feed lukkulus to Tiffi, my two love it, it smells nice to me too. Cheaper to buy on zooplus.de
    It's grain free and even suits Oliver who has a dodgy belly at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

mymo wrote: »
    I feed lukkulus to Tiffi, my two love it, it smells nice to me too. Cheaper to buy on zooplus.de

That looks really good. Is it a complete food or would I need to add a mixer?

I picked up a thing of Cesar on my way home (I know, I know, but they don't do decent food in my local Spar) and it was SO expensive! E1 a pack, and it recommended feeding 4 packs a day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Rocco and Rocco real hearts is fab too, also from zooplus. Both lukulus and rocco are complete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

mymo wrote: »

My boys are also on Lukullus and they are mad for it. It's a complete food so no mixer necessary. :D

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

My small dog is on a diet and gets a third of the 400g can twice a day, plus I add in left over veggies daily and sardines 2-3 days a week. She also gets a few bits of dry food for training treats, she's a lazy bitch and toddles along at her own speed while the bigger fella runs around like a loon.
    If your dog isn't very active I'd say a third to half a can twice a day would be fine. The 800g tins are usually better value if you're feeding long term, but would last you two days or more.
    They have a sample pack I think of 6 cans to try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

'Inactive' is definitely the word I'd use to describe her; she toddles along a few steps then lies down and looks at me expectantly to be carried, and 9kg is a lot heavier than you'd think. Vet says to start her on hydrotherapy but it'll be next week before I can get her a pool. I can't wait to see how unimpressed she'll be with that.

I wet her dry food with hot water this morning and she ate it but not as happily as the warmed Cesar yesterday (mmm, stinky). I'll pop into the place on the Long Mile and get something decent while I'm waiting for the other stuff to be delivered. She's now on cimalgex as well as a weekly steroid booster, and gets salmon oil (which she LOVES) daily, as well as an antibiotic because she had a kidney infection the last couple of days. Poor Old Dog. The vet used the phrase 'borrowed time' five times during our last consultation :( She's almost 16 (as far as we know), I think we've been on borrowed time for a couple of years at this stage. As long as she's happy and not in any pain, that's the important thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Poor little Ra - that photo is fab!
    I was in this situation with Pepper last year. On seriously borrowed time. About 2 years ago I switched to home cooked - you might consider that since you only have a little dog, you need to tempt her appetite and keep her dogdy digestion happy too, plus from a cost point of view, home cooked is really economical. I used to buy a pack of chicken thighs or legs and a packet of minced turkey or beef every week for two small (11kg) terriers.
    I would boil the thighs/legs whole in water to which I added brown rice (or potatos for variety) and any diced up small veg that was on special that week. Deboned the chicken, chopped it up and added a bit of coconut oil or salmon oil, and some probiotics and that would last them for 3-4 days. They LOVED it. The cat would also have it too. It had the advantage of smelling really nice (for us humans) - I used to store it in the cooking pot in the fridge

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 511 ✭✭✭RichieRich89

You could check out Dogs First on facebook and gRÁW food. I recently switched from home-cooked dog food to their chubs, and they seem pretty good. It's pretty good value too at about 3 euro per kg

Advertisement