Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are gamestop allowed get away with these rip off prices?

• 23-06-2015 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Gamestop are constantly ripping people off with collector's edition prices and nobody seems to care!

Look at this - uk.games.konami-europecom/posts/KONAMI-ANNOUNCES-RELEASE-DATE-INFORMATION-FOR-METAL-GEAR-SOLID-V-THE-PHANTOM-PAIN
    "SRP of “Collector’s Edition” will be €99.99 for the PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system; the Xbox One, the all-in-one games and entertainment system from Microsoft.

Yet Gamestop want 140!!! - wwwgamestopie/PlayStation%204/Games/51343/metal-gear-solid-v-the-phantom-painc-collectors-edition

They're pulling the exact same ****e with Fallout 4...

bethsoftcom/en-us/news/fallout-4-arriving-november-10-2015-worldwide
    The Fallout 4 Pip-Boy Edition will be available through pre-order in the coming days and retails for $119.99 (US), €129.99 (Europe), and £99.99 (UK). Supplies are extremely limited so players are encouraged to pre-order through their preferred stores today. "

Gamestop looking 150!! - wwwgamestopie/PlayStation%204/Games/52638/fallout-4-pip-boy-edition

I had to remove the dots in the urls to post them.

I never personally shop in Gamestop unless it's something like this, where they're usually the only place to get the stuff. But this is just utter madness.

I know why they're doing it, and as I said, They're usually the only ones who get the stuff. So they can drag up the price as much as they want... But that doesn't make it any less ridiculous.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They get away with them because people buy them. Don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

They don't get away with it as far as I'm concerned because I don't buy anything there. Fairly simple policy.

Also, they can charge what they like, it's not a public government service.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 HiThereHowAreY

You don't see companies like GAME or Amazon(german and french) who have the exclusivity for those editions raising the price so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

You don't see companies like GAME or Amazon(german and french) who have the exclusivity for those editions raising the price so much.

Game is based in the UK and Amazon is from the US

• Registered Users Posts: 26 HiThereHowAreY

Game is based in the UK and Amazon is from the US

Aye. That's true. But since they're the only places to get said collector's editions in their respective countries (UK, France and Germany), they don't raise their price to rip off their customers like Gamestop are doing here...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

they can charge whatever they like, and as long as they get enough sales at the prices to still be profitable that won't change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,342 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Don't shop there. It's simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

It actually looks like there is a problem with the information on the Konomi UK website as all of the other prices are in euros and sterling and this is shown in Euro only, this is probably supposed to be £99.99, which would give approx. €149.99 which is more then the price in Gamestop

Gamestop are constantly ripping people off with collector's edition prices and nobody seems to care!

Look at this - uk.games.konami-europecom/posts/KONAMI-ANNOUNCES-RELEASE-DATE-INFORMATION-FOR-METAL-GEAR-SOLID-V-THE-PHANTOM-PAIN

Yet Gamestop want 140!!! - wwwgamestopie/PlayStation%204/Games/51343/metal-gear-solid-v-the-phantom-painc-collectors-edition

They're pulling the exact same ****e with Fallout 4...

bethsoftcom/en-us/news/fallout-4-arriving-november-10-2015-worldwide

Gamestop looking 150!! - wwwgamestopie/PlayStation%204/Games/52638/fallout-4-pip-boy-edition

I had to remove the dots in the urls to post them.

I never personally shop in Gamestop unless it's something like this, where they're usually the only place to get the stuff. But this is just utter madness.

I know why they're doing it, and as I said, They're usually the only ones who get the stuff. So they can drag up the price as much as they want... But that doesn't make it any less ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

With no actual competition on the high street, they are pretty much free to charge what they like.

I personally have been buying all my console games from Amazon for years, which are cheaper then any RRP here and have a fantastic customer service, and their pre-order service is literally best in class.

For PC, all games I buy are digital from either Steam, other platforms, or from developers directly.

Gamestop serves a purpose for console gamers who don't buy online, or for parents etc. buying gifts for children or relatives. More concerning is and damaging is their second hand service, which the company model is built on, and does massive damage to the gaming industry.

There is no excuse for anyone really to moan about gamestop and their pricing, there is little to no barrier to entry to buying online, and it's lazyness and insistence on having a game day one release that forces people into gamestop. It's just lazyness.

Last console game I bought was LOTR Shadow of Mordor for PS4, that I paid €38 for from Amazon, on launch. Amazon when you pre-order, you are guaranteed the lowest price it ever goes to, plus arn't charged until its shipped.

With the Euro tanking, the prices arnt as amazing at present. I'd a good few games on reserve but cancelled to go with the PC variant (which I buy digitally) or I decided to hold off since my backlog is too big.

They can charge literally what they like, and they know ill informed customers will go in there and pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

even without the internet, between Xtravision, Argos, Smyths & Tesco, there is guaranteed to be somewhere cheaper than Gamestop

• Advertisement
Advertisement