Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

difference in cost.

• 23-06-2015 10:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭

Hi all, perhaps you can help me out here. My wife and I are discussing buying a house and renovating it. When I mean renovating I mean a new kitchen, doing up the sitting room and perhaps am extension. New tiling on the kitchen etc etc. I'm of the opinion that in Dublin the cost would be significantly higher than that of say sligo. She is of the opinion they would be similar.

Could anyone shed some light on the situation

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Tefral

Hi all, perhaps you can help me out here. My wife and I are discussing buying a house and renovating it. When I mean renovating I mean a new kitchen, doing up the sitting room and perhaps am extension. New tiling on the kitchen etc etc. I'm of the opinion that in Dublin the cost would be significantly higher than that of say sligo. She is of the opinion they would be similar.

That is correct, tradesmen have such a thing as city rates. I price them into my electrical contracts the whole time.

Its also got to do with supply and demand. Generally there is higher demand for trades in cities as opposed to country areas. Demand drives up price.

Also consider the kitchen supplier. In Sligo his premises etc will have smaller rates, his employees paid less and his insurance lower. This will be reflected in cost. In Dublin all off the above will be more and as such the person selling the kitchen has to factor this in.

Simple thing even like access, in sligo you'd drive from one end of the town to the other in 20 mins, in dublin you could take more than an hour, this hour has to be paid for somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

cronin_j wrote: »
    That is correct, tradesmen have such a thing as city rates. I price them into my electrical contracts the whole time.

Its also got to do with supply and demand. Generally there is higher demand for trades in cities as opposed to country areas. Demand drives up price.

Also consider the kitchen supplier. In Sligo his premises etc will have smaller rates, his employees paid less and his insurance lower. This will be reflected in cost. In Dublin all off the above will be more and as such the person selling the kitchen has to factor this in.

Simple thing even like access, in sligo you'd drive from one end of the town to the other in 20 mins, in dublin you could take more than an hour, this hour has to be paid for somewhere.

In terms of a rough percentage, how much would it be 10% on 100k kind of thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Strolling Bones

Rough guide here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

While the boss is always right, she is not right in this case.:)
    Not alone is there a Dublin premium, but there is a postal code premium.
    Leafy Dublin 4 vs....... etc

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement