Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Post-(or Instrumental-)Rock/Metal Thread

Options
  • 23-06-2015 10:31pm
    Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Post-rock is a somewhat unpopular genre name. Many bands labelled as such reject the term. Last.fm gives a fairly ambiguous definition, describing post-rock as:
    ...a genre of alternative rock characterized by the use of musical instruments commonly associated with rock music, but using rhythms, harmonies, melodies, timbre, and chord progressions that are not found in rock tradition. Simply put, it is the use of ‘rock instrumentation’ for non-rock purposes.

Which leaves me none the wiser as to what they mean tbh :pac:

All I know is post-rock/metal is usually instrumental (but not exclusively so), highly atmospheric and can encompass a wide range of sounds.

I originally got into the genre after listening to Irish band God is an Astronaut (get used to the long names :pac:) and since then have discovered a plethora of hugely talented bands in this genre that are relatively uncelebrated.

I'll pop up a few videos for people completely unversed in this ill-defined section of music, but then I'll turn over the floor. For me, post-rock has some of the most exciting bands around a the moment and for me is providing some of the most innovative and freshest sounds around.

So any other fans out there? What are your favourite bands and albums? Any upcoming releases or gigs your looking forward to?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Soyokakano

Never heard this term before. Could it be use to describe Metal instrumentals together with vocals of another genre. Say Pop, Hip hop or folk/trad?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Will probably get lambasted for this but I find ASIWYFA a little boring :p Just not my style I think. Do a fantastic live show though, far better live than recorded imo.

Soyokakano wrote: »
    Never heard this term before. Could it be use to describe Metal instrumentals together with vocals of another genre. Say Pop, Hip hop or folk/trad?

Nah they're other genres altogether really (Rap metal, folk metal etc). The majority of post rock/metal has no vocals, though there are some high profile exceptions.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Think you have a fair bit covered there ScienceNerd...East Hastings live a couple of weeks ago....pure class.

Also the 65DOS gig in Galway last year was a highlight for me. Prisms is an amazing track, so much depth to their sound now.

Ears are just after recovering from Mogwai last week....

Russian Circles are actually playing tonight....Pity I'll miss it, but caught a great show they did in the Button Factory with Chelsea Wolfe.

GIAA > ASIWYFA

• Advertisement

I'm off to Russian Circles tonight myself, 3rd time seeing them in 2 years or so :pac:

Also the 65DOS gig in Galway last year was a highlight for me. Prisms is an amazing track, so much depth to their sound now.

Wild Light is an amazing album, one of my favourite releases from the last 5 years. They added a certain maturity that was missing from their sound previously. Can't wait to hear what they'll release next.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Will probably get lambasted for this but I find ASIWYFA a little boring :p Just not my style I think. Do a fantastic live show though, far better live than recorded imo.

And there I was thinking you had perfect taste, between the doom thread, this one, and your normal posts :D

But yeah, they're ten times better live (and for me, that's really saying something), I'd recommend anyone go see them live tbh.

Not too sure if they'd be quite the same as what's sought after in this thread, but I think Earth probably deserve a mention. They're mostly instrumental, though they'd be more on the drone/stoner side of things. Love how minimalist the sound is. Another fantastic live band, really really captivating

Their stuff is extremely varied, and though this one got bad reviews, I think it's one of my favourites from them.

I do love Earth, The Bees Made Honey is a fantastic album to relax to. I saw them live at Whelans last year, it was fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

All I know is post-rock/metal is usually instrumental (but not exclusively so), highly atmospheric and can encompass a wide range of sounds.
    I think the whole idea of post-rock/metal being usually instrumental is something which has only been attached to it since the turn of the millennium. Most bands that attracted the post-rock label early on featured vocals prominently (while not being the main focus of the music). Also during the 90's the term 'post-rock' was even more ambiguous with even bands like Stereolab attracting the label. Some examples:

You also have post-metal bands like Neurosis and ISIS who use vocals regularly:

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

A thread about post rock and no one mentions Mogwai? Sacrilege!

They were absolutely stunning in the Olympia last week as well. My favourite shot from the night, if anyone's interested.

• Advertisement

I think the whole idea of post-rock/metal being usually instrumental is something which has only been attached to it since the turn of the millennium. Most bands that attracted the post-rock label early on featured vocals prominently (while not being the main focus of the music). Also during the 90's the term 'post-rock' was even more ambiguous with even bands like Stereolab attracting the label. Some examples:

Happy to be educated :D Don't have time to give those a listen now but will either today or tomorrow. It is funny how a genre can evolve though.

Yeah I'm quite familiar with Isis. Funnily enough I'd say they are the most recognisable name form the genre and I'd say Sigur Ros are possibly the best known post-rock band and both use vocals heavily.

I was Mogwai myself last week Joe, mind-blowing show, absolutely loved it. Was really happy with the set list, great mix of songs form different albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

I was Mogwai myself last week Joe, mind-blowing show, absolutely loved it. Was really happy with the set list, great mix of songs form different albums.

You're dead right, the whole thing was bang on - from the setlist to the lights to the sound. Holy Jesus though, was it loud! I kept having to check whether my earplugs had accidentally fallen out...

Has anyone been listening to the new GIAA? Really enjoying it after a couple of listens. Wasn't mad on their last release but this is back to their best imo

Advertisement