Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest place for Windows 7/8/8.1 key?

Options
  • 23-06-2015 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭

Where's the cheapest, trustworthy place to get a Windows 7/8/8.1 key?

My friend is wanting it for his PC so he can get the free upgrade to Windows 10.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Yeah, sent me the code in about 8 hours, worked fine

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    My friend is wanting it for his PC so he can get the free upgrade to Windows 10.

That was clarified today, your friend may only get a free version of the beta channel win10 which isnt what most people want to run on their day to day PC.

ED E wrote: »
    That was clarified today, your friend may only get a free version of the beta channel win10 which isnt what most people want to run on their day to day PC.

Isn't that for users of the Technical Preview?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Isn't that for users of the Technical Preview?

Yes it is. If you get a genuine key off that site you'll be upgraded. I have one from one of their sellers and have reserved my windows 10 copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Oops just had Netlinked on the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

Where's the cheapest, trustworthy place to get a Windows 7/8/8.1 key?

sticker at a computer from work

MSDN access (I have but won't give you a key for free)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Family member has given me a key for years. Went through a reformat while back and Da dropped up what appears to be a pirated key, as I'm getting that annoyed windows not genuine ****.

First port of call was reddit as linked above(albeit a different seller) and paid like €12 for a Windows 7Ultimate key and whole transaction was done in like 15 minutes and key was verified.

Just make sure to not buy the N versions, unless you don't want the free windows 10 upgrade.

Yeah I bought 1 off this guy after. Got a Windows 8 key. He seemed sound enough, said he'd send it once he got home from work which he did.

Friend has used the key and installed all updates etc and is working fine so thumbs up, & thanks for pointing me in the right direction :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭tadcan

TheDoc wrote: »
    Just make sure to not buy the N versions, unless you don't want the free windows 10 upgrade.
    Why not the N version. I got that for a PC and it has the notification for a win10 upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

Looking for a fresh install on a new machine with a key.just wondering could I just install windows 8.1 straight away or would I have to intall windows 8 first and then upgrade?

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

Looking for a fresh install on a new machine with a key.just wondering could I just install windows 8.1 straight away or would I have to intall windows 8 first and then upgrade?

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭tadcan

You can install 8.1 without 8. They sound similar, but it more like comparing vista to windows 7.

tadcan wrote:
    Why not the N version. I got that for a PC and it has the notification for a win10 upgrade.

Me too. More misinformation on the windows 10 upgrade process.

If you have any version of genuine Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 you'll be upgraded.

superg wrote: »
    Me too. More misinformation on the windows 10 upgrade process.

If you have any version of genuine Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 you'll be upgraded.

Most of the keysellers have a warning saying that if you buy the N versions, you won't be entitled to a windows 10 upgrade.

So I'd be on the safe side and not buy N. They are handy for a relatively new OS release, as they are cut-down versions usually sold into poorer markets/economies to reduce cost. They don't come with some bloatware and apps like windows media player etc.

For the sake of a few euro, I'd go with the regular versions.

I've actually kinda cooled my interest in Windows 10. I JUST got everything on my hard drives and SSD's sorted, and not really liking the idea of a fresh install of Windows 10, to do it all over again : /

The key sellers are wrong then which is worrying. You'd think they'd know what their keys entitle the purchaser to.

Windows N editions will follow the same upgrade path as their parent edition. Like I said, if you have a genuine version of 7 or 8.1 be it the full version or the N version you will be upgraded. The only exception is enterprise versions which won't be upgraded for free.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/windows-10-specifications

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Awkward Customer

I bought a Win 8 Enterprise key around 9 months ago, from what little info I can find now I think Ent editions can't be upgraded to Win 10? Would prefer not to have to buy another key but if I have to would Win 8 Pro be eligible for upgrade?

You haven't looked too far for that "little info" you found, I posted a link directly above your post that explains all :D

Enterprise versions will not be upgraded. All other genuine versions of Windows 7 and 8 (as long as you upgraded to 8.1 which is also free) will get free windows 10.

would Win 8 Pro be eligible for upgrade?

Yes, get Windows 8.1 pro and you will be upgraded to Windows 10 Pro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Awkward Customer

Sorry I somehow missed the link you posted when I was reading the thread. Tried to find the info myself but I ended up just going from news article to news article without finding anything relevant about Ent. I usually avoid microsft.com as in the past I never found it great for documentation, maybe thats changed though. Now wish I had gone for Pro 9 months ago, still works out cheaper than buying a key elsewhere. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Whats a N version ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Yes, get Windows 8.1 pro and you will be upgraded to Windows 10 Pro.

I'd recommend pro since you can defer updates to occur when you want them. Win 10 Home edition will force windows updates which could mean that an update could apply while you are in the middle of something (but we don't know for sure what this really means)

beauf wrote: »
    Whats a N version ?

From what I can tell, it seems to not have certain Microsoft software bundled, like Windows Media Player(who the **** uses that? )

As the link above mentions, you can actually upgrade for free, so the N keys might be best since they are cheaper again.

Thanks for that link btw.

And separately, father texted me the genuine key we have at home there this morning "oh I found it", sigh....

Advertisement