Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midwifery and shift work

Options
  • 24-06-2015 4:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

This may seem a strange question, but I am wondering how the shift system operates for midwives in Ireland. Is it divided into 1st, 2nd and 3rd shift, or is it 7am-7pm and then 7pm-7am as is common for nursing shifts? Also, does one work a five day week or a more intense 3 day week?

I am very interested in midwifery, but have health issues that would be impacted by shift timings. Hence my question.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Pookla

Galbin wrote: »
    This may seem a strange question, but I am wondering how the shift system operates for midwives in Ireland. Is it divided into 1st, 2nd and 3rd shift, or is it 7am-7pm and then 7pm-7am as is common for nursing shifts? Also, does one work a five day week or a more intense 3 day week?

I am very interested in midwifery, but have health issues that would be impacted by shift timings. Hence my question.

Thanks!

It varies by hospital to be honest. Depending on staffing numbers they could have no choice but to adopt a particular type of pattern and the number of days per week can vary as well.

It can be very intense in particular sites.

I would advise trying to speak with an occupational physician about your concerns relating to your health. They might be able to allay your fears or suggest management plans that may help you.

If your health problems are related to an ongoing condition, you could also talk to your consultant.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭NOS3

Hi Galbin,

I can't provide any information myself but there is a AMA thread about a Midwife. I believe she mentions the shifts and answers many other questions about a career in Midwifery. It is well worth a read. :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057361124

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Galbin

Pookla wrote: »
    It varies by hospital to be honest. Depending on staffing numbers they could have no choice but to adopt a particular type of pattern and the number of days per week can vary as well.

It can be very intense in particular sites.

I would advise trying to speak with an occupational physician about your concerns relating to your health. They might be able to allay your fears or suggest management plans that may help you.

If your health problems are related to an ongoing condition, you could also talk to your consultant.

So some hospitals have a 3 shift per 24 hour pattern? I have a sleep disorder that means it would be best for me to work 2nd shift with some night work thrown in. I would get very ill if I worked 7am to 7pm on a regular basis. Hence my concerns. Sadly, there is no effective treatment for this condition. You just live with it and avoid 9-5 jobs. Hence why I am trying to research information on midwife shift patterns before I consider applying to colleges.

Thanks!

I read that midwife AMA thread. It was fab, but the one thing it didn't address was shift times. And it seems there is no way to pm the midwife there.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Pookla

It could be very difficult to ever be able to guarantee that you'd get a particular shift on an ongoing or regular basis.

But it may not be impossible either.

This next part isn't going to be particularly pleasant and I apologise for being so blunt;

Think very carefully before going into the health service if you have less than perfect health yourself. Hospitals are highly stressful places that are very very underfunded and the HSE tends to rely on the goodwill of staff to keep the whole thing afloat. They really will let you work yourself into an early grave rather than address the problems in their hospitals.

Maybe try contacting a few of the midwifery departments in universities and then seeing if it could be workable for you?

• Advertisement

Pookla wrote: »
    This next part isn't going to be particularly pleasant and I apologise for being so blunt;

Think very carefully before going into the health service if you have less than perfect health yourself. Hospitals are highly stressful places that are very very underfunded and the HSE tends to rely on the goodwill of staff to keep the whole thing afloat. They really will let you work yourself into an early grave rather than address the problems in their hospitals.

Thanks for letting me know. I don't consider that blunt at all. I'd rather know the truth in advance. :)

I will check out some of the universities.

Thanks!

Advertisement