Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disappointment!! Lost chance of salmon.

Options
  • 24-06-2015 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

I was spinning for sea trout and brown trout not even expecting what happened next. I caught no brown trout or sea trout as conditions were not right, but a 5/6 lb salmon hen followed my mepps aglia size 2 spinner right into the shallows. I was stayin low so the fish did not see me and turn. I saw the salmons mouth opening for the spinner until soneone roared and scared her and it stopped her in her tracks of taking the spinner and she swam off. I nearly had my first salmon.

Blast the person who scared her away

Tight lines,
    Olwas2014

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I suspect the person who shouted was Maddog1999.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Tippjohn

Never met a fish with ears yet. They can refuse at the last moment, usually if the spinner slows down. As with all lure fishing we see about 1% of those that take a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Olwas2014

No it was my dad that roared

If the fish did not see movement, roaring would not matter. I guess it made you hesitate your wind in for a split second. Seeing a fish puts our hearts in our mouths, that is why we fish. I recall the nearly first salmon I missed. I thought it was a log coming down river towards my lure, it was an enormous fish that put its mouth round my lure and did not close it, just swam off. The older I get the happier I am just to see them. I am not fishing this year because I really feel they need a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

fish don't have ears, but they can hear as sound is just vibrations. If the person shouting had any effect we will never know! might have had no effect at all.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your replies

I shouted at my Goldfish, nothing :-). If angling was about catching fish we would all be madder than we are :-).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

The instinct sometimes in that situation is to slow down your retrieve. Just remember a trout or salmon can swim a lot faster than you will ever retrieve your lure. Speeding up the retrieve may make the fish accelerate up and strike the lure. Split second decision but could make all the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

Keep trying that's all I say

I have a spot in a small river that I get a few salmon off every year where you can see the fish from a high bank an I hold flies /worm/shrimp right in front of them for what seems like ages and they might not move

I often hit them in the head they would move away and come back to the same spot

You are better off not seeing them I reckon, but keep spinning away and hopefully you can get your first and it's a fish you will never forget

Would a 10' 5-6oz casting weight rod cast a 15 gram flying c. It's the only rod I have at the moment. Would it cast the flying c or would it drop like a stone? Would it cast the average distance in width of this river photo i am putting up.
    Thanks,
    brownie1999
    image_zpsna1myvqn.jpg

• Advertisement

Olwas2014 wrote: »
    Would a 10' 5-6oz casting weight rod cast a 15 gram flying c. It's the only rod I have at the moment. Would it cast the flying c or would it drop like a stone? Would it cast the average distance in width of this river photo i am putting up.
    Thanks,
    brownie1999
    image_zpsna1myvqn.jpg

What were you using when you lost the salmon?

Trying to cast 15g on a rod rated 140-170g is rather pointless.

Use the fly if you have no spinning rod.

What were you using when you lost the salmon?

Trying to cast 15g on a rod rated 140-170g is rather pointless.

Use the fly if you have no spinning rod.

I don't have fly rod for salmon. I was spinning for sea trout not salmon.

In the right hands any rod will cast anything. Whether it will give best performance is another. The important thing for spinning is to load the reel as much as possible. You will soon know if you load it too much.

Olwas2014 wrote: »
    I don't have fly rod for salmon. I was spinning for sea trout not salmon.

What rod did you use for the sea trout?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

SeaFields wrote: »
    The instinct sometimes in that situation is to slow down your retrieve. Just remember a trout or salmon can swim a lot faster than you will ever retrieve your lure. Speeding up the retrieve may make the fish accelerate up and strike the lure. Split second decision but could make all the difference.

Interesting, for some species I find a total stop can trigger a take.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

was fishing Boyne last week i noticed that fly was followed in numerous times , trout backed out at very last second. was using 6lb ungreased leader.
    never again .

trout/salmon are curious and will follow a bait in often without taking. try and try again mate,

Advertisement