Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dolphin's Barn, South Circular Road - Decent pub

Options
  • 24-06-2015 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

I am moving to the South Circular Road, just beside the crossroads before the flats at Dolphin's barn. I used to live not far from there and we normally went to town for a few mid week drinks, but I am older and lazier now so want to know if there any decent locals nearby.

I normally drink wine so the only must is that they don't sell those crappy little bottles that make you want to wish you were dead the next day!

Any suggestions? My previous local was Walshes in Stoneybatter so that is the kind of place that I like for a chat and a quiet pint/vino.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Not sure about wine but for pints and food The Headline bar at the other end of the South Circular is a great spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Is the Barn House still open? An expansive wine menu, convivial clientele and a most delightful waterside location.

Failing that, another vote for the Headline Bar, just down the road at Leonard's Corner. Great beers. Also you have the Royal Oak in Kilmainham. Maybe a bit of a stroll but still closer than town.

The Brd Flanagan isn't the worst. Typical local pub which is at the Rialto end of SCR.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

MVP is a great little place.

They do a pint and a jacket potato for €10 - for example, baked potato stuffed with pork, kidney beans, aubergine, melted cheese and a salad on the side.

Good music and a quiet local vibe.

It's a coffee shop during the day as well and you can get really nice toasted sandwiches and 3FE coffee.

Found a pic of the spuds;

5d763a7ea2b8613a0847264d89ab3e43.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

The bird in Rialto is a good boozer. Sheries a little up the Crumlin road from the Bridge is a decent spot too. The Bridge House is one of the dodgiest pubs in Dublin as you probably know.
    The headline has improved in recent years, it was a dive. Leonards Corner is good too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

^ on that note pubs to avoid like the plague....like the man said avoid The Bridge House....and Morriseys further down on Cork Street is a dangerous kip.

Lowes is fine for a pint on a rainy day if you're desperate but I wouldn't make it a local.

As for the good verging on great - and we're moving down the other end into the Coombe now, but if Fallons ever gets going again pay it a visit. Lights were on in there today so I may pay a research trip tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Lux23 wrote: »
    I normally drink wine so the only must is that they don't sell those crappy little bottles that make you want to wish you were dead the next day!
    Definitely The Headline on Leonard's Corner. They take their wine offer very seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Cool, it is a ten minute and close to a chipper so sounds like the Headline is in the lead. Thanks for the recommendations and for telling me where to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

but if Fallons ever gets going again pay it a visit. Lights were on in there today so I may pay a research trip tomorrow.

Fallons been back open weeks now, only closed for a few days. Was bought over afaik.

Fallons been back open weeks now, only closed for a few days. Was bought over afaik.

Lived beside there for years but never went, I must check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Sheries a little up the Crumlin road from the Bridge is a decent spot too.

Sheary's in Crumlin.

Nice spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

The Gate on Crumlin Road is a decent pub

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Lived beside there for years but never went, I must check it out.

I've lived 10 mins away from it for all of my 24 years, walked by it going to school for 6 years too and have yet to have a pint in it! The Shels pendant was taken down after being there donkey years so I might have to avoid it now for a pint!

I have chosen. My new local is MVP, great little spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

I have chosen. My new local is MVP, great little spot.

Love, love love it, it's such a quirky little place and the cocktails are to die for!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

I must go past MVP 4 times a day and I never knew it's name. Always meant to stop in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I was in MVP once, they had the worst bar staff I've ever seen. Took 20 minutes to get a drink, 2 bar staff and it wasn't even busy!
    Slightly off topic, but if you like Indian food, try Konkan across the road, very nice

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Cienciano wrote: »
    I was in MVP once, they had the worst bar staff I've ever seen. Took 20 minutes to get a drink, 2 bar staff and it wasn't even busy!
    Slightly off topic, but if you like Indian food, try Konkan across the road, very nice

I agree about the staff in MVP. I've been in there 3/4 times and each time I've found the staff slow and stand-offish. I live 2 mins walk from there and wouldn't be pushed on it at all.

Agree about Konkan too, it's amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Ruff says flaherty

I agree about the staff in MVP. I was cycling one day and forgot the lock of my bike. Wanted to pop in for tea and a sandwich. I asked the barman could I leave my bicycle inside the door. He said no. Was very abrupt and stand offish. Haven't been back since.

I agree about the staff in MVP. I was cycling one day and forgot the lock of my bike. Wanted to pop in for tea and a sandwich. I asked the barman could I leave my bicycle inside the door. He said no. Was very abrupt and stand offish. Haven't been back since.

Funny enough, I went in there three times since my first visit and felt really uncomfortable every time so I won't go back now. I normally go to the Headline, but I will check out the Gate in Crumlin soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Funny enough, I went in there three times since my first visit and felt really uncomfortable every time so I won't go back now. I normally go to the Headline, but I will check out the Gate in Crumlin soon.

The Gate is fine. The Leonard's Corner is lovely, used to be in there all the time.

Used to drink in MVP with my ex, can be very hard to get a drink sometimes alright.

• Advertisement
Advertisement