Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

External Steel Stairs & Part M

• 24-06-2015 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am currently designing an external steel stairs that will provide stepped access/egress from the 1st floor of a building.

Section 1.1.3.5 of Part M states that tactile hazard warning surfaces should be incorporated at both the top and bottom landings. While this is not a problem at the bottom landing (we can use a standard corduroy tile fitted in the yard), the top landing which is steel is causing some headaches for the fabricator and he can't source anything that will comply with the regs.

I was wondering if anyone had encountered this problem before and how they solved it?

Cheers in advance for any feedback!

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,915 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

is this a fire escape?

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Tim76

Yes, it will need to serve as an alternative means of escape.

i would think an embossed steel surface would be a slipping hazard, therefore the tactile landing should be within the building in my opinion. Also, if this is to be used by a visually impaired person, is there a refuge area proposed at the exit on the top level?

these really are questions to be asking your local fire officer, but i would certainly say that tactile steel top landing is a slipping hazard and is dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Tim76

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, a refuge area is included. There is no requirement for tactile surfaces internally only on external steps.

I would agree with you with regard to a steel tactile surface constituting a trip hazard, especially in the wet. Although I have seen steel corduroy strips fitted to external concrete steps on a number of occasions.

Tim76 wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, a refuge area is included. There is no requirement for tactile surfaces internally only on external steps.

I would agree with you with regard to a steel tactile surface constituting a trip hazard, especially in the wet. Although I have seen steel corduroy strips fitted to external concrete steps on a number of occasions.

yeah ive seen a kind of rubber or plastic over those cordoroy strips as well

• Advertisement
Advertisement