Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where should I look for a powerful stepper motor?

Options
  • 24-06-2015 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

I'm looking into building my own cnc machine....I suppose I should probably setup a prototype with a motor from a dvd drive or something but what other devices would have something good that might be found in a WEEE center.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭ShRT

Old printers - older the better usually as newer ones tend to use dc motors with an optical encoder to create a feedback loop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

euser1984 wrote: »
    I'm looking into building my own cnc machine....I suppose I should probably setup a prototype with a motor from a dvd drive or something but what other devices would have something good that might be found in a WEEE center.

Thanks.

If you do have a go at it, din rail and v groove bearings make great x, y and z axis rails.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

You can use the motors and driver boards from a rep-rap 3d printer to for the basis of a cnc. Small open loop stepper motors such as these have very limited torque

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Amazon has a selection of steppers, driver boards, and breakout boards which can be parallel or USB type.

And pulleys, belts etc. I had considered a laser one myself, probably never get round to it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

Bruthal wrote: »
    Amazon has a selection of steppers, driver boards, and breakout boards which can be parallel or USB type.

And pulleys, belts etc. I had considered a laser one myself, probably never get round to it though.

The thing with me is that I've began to question whether it's worthwhile....initially I was motivated by being able to make baja parts considering their so expensive.....I was going to use an arduino as a controller.....

I haven't lost interest in it though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement