Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E-Fibre and VPN

Options
  • 24-06-2015 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hi Eircom,

Can you tell me if the router shipped as standard with Eircom's EF package is capable of VPN connections? Is it by default blocked? Can it be switched on? If not will a replacement router provided by the end user be blocked from using VPN through the EF connection?

Regards,

Chris.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

ftlnn wrote: »
    Hi Eircom,

Can you tell me if the router shipped as standard with Eircom's EF package is capable of VPN connections? Is it by default blocked? Can it be switched on? If not will a replacement router provided by the end user be blocked from using VPN through the EF connection?

Regards,

Chris.
    Hi ftlnn

I can confirm that eircom do not support VPN connections and as a result do not provide modems in the consideration off compatibility with VPN connections. That is not to say this cannot be explored at your own discretion though - I have noticed other posts there customers with the f2000 experienced issues with VPN but ultimately the best advice I can offer is to check with the manual or model manufacturer. I can also confirm there are no blocks to prevent you using a third party modem to work with a VPN.

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭ftlnn

Hi Eircom,

Regards,

Chris.
    Hi ftlnn

I can confirm that eircom do not support VPN connections and as a result do not provide modems in the consideration off compatibility with VPN connections. That is not to say this cannot be explored at your own discretion though - I have noticed other posts there customers with the f2000 experienced issues with VPN but ultimately the best advice I can offer is to check with the manual or model manufacturer. I can also confirm there are no blocks to prevent you using a third party modem to work with a VPN.

Thanks
    Al
    Thanks for the reply.

I'm always confused as to the response that 'you do not support VPN connections'. The question I suppose should be worded accordingly. I simply want to know is the supplied modem capable of establishing a VPN connection? You have already answered the another part as to Eircom not blocking or preventing the use of 3rd part modems. Most providers seem to customise the modem with their own GUI and settings, sometimes the relevant areas of the interface are locked out from access. I'm not looking for support for establishing a VPN connection merely querying the providers available services. I thank you again for your response and note that I have had similar 'we do not support VPN' from other providers and i just think the responses could be more helpful at times.

Thanks

Chris.

Hi Eircom,

Regards,

Chris.
    Hi ftlnn

Thanks
    Al
    Thanks for the reply.

I'm always confused as to the response that 'you do not support VPN connections'. The question I suppose should be worded accordingly. I simply want to know is the supplied modem capable of establishing a VPN connection? You have already answered the another part as to Eircom not blocking or preventing the use of 3rd part modems. Most providers seem to customise the modem with their own GUI and settings, sometimes the relevant areas of the interface are locked out from access. I'm not looking for support for establishing a VPN connection merely querying the providers available services. I thank you again for your response and note that I have had similar 'we do not support VPN' from other providers and i just think the responses could be more helpful at times.

Thanks

Chris.
    Yes you're right I could have worded that more directly. I can confirm that a VPN will not immediately work with the supplied eFibre modem (F2000) and will require amendments to work with a VPN- unfortunately eircom cannot advise what amendments will be necessary.

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭ftlnn

Hi Eircom,

Regards,

Chris.
    Hi ftlnn

Thanks
    Al
    Thanks for the reply.

Thanks

Chris.
    Yes you're right I could have worded that more directly. I can confirm that a VPN will not immediately work with the supplied eFibre modem (F2000) and will require amendments to work with a VPN- unfortunately eircom cannot advise what amendments will be necessary.

Thanks
    Al
    Thanks.

Hi Eircom,

Regards,

Chris.
    Hi ftlnn

Thanks
    Al
    Thanks for the reply.

Thanks

Chris.

Thanks
    Al
    Thanks.
    No problem ftlnn

Al

• Advertisement
Advertisement