Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Actors who were born to play a certain role

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 393 ✭✭Mortpourvelo

Liam Neeson in Michael Collins, did the great man justice. I drank in the same bar in West Cork he allegedly got hammered in to perfect his accent!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 267 ✭✭Muhammed_1

Jake Gylenhall in Nightcrawler.

Absolutely brilliant portrayal of a sociopath. He is completely uncaring, with no overt emotions, but also very personable and amicable when he wants to be. Very scary performance because he comes across as completely believeable as the character, even if the character is completely despicable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Michael Douglas --Falling Down
    Ben Kingsly --- Sexy Beast
    Anthony Hopkins -- Red2 and The one as the bulter in the WW11 film(can't think of the name)
    Tom Cruise -- Colleratal
    Tom Hanks-- Philadelphia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Most of the casting in the lord of the rings, they couldnt have done better in most of them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 267 ✭✭Muhammed_1

Alan Rickman as Hans Gruber, Die Hard.

Classic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Morini

Fry and Laurie as Jeeves and Wooster.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

This thread is just people naming their favourite actors. The vast majority of actors mentioned are replaceable. Another actor may not play the roles the exact same way but could have made it their own in their own particular way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

irish_goat wrote: »
    This thread is just people naming their favourite actors. The vast majority of actors mentioned are replaceable. Another actor may not play the roles the exact same way but could have made it their own in their own particular way.

Would agree with the above for most of the names mentioned so far.

However I would have to say from a physical ressemblance point of view, John Goodman was the perfect fit to play Fred Flinstone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Martin Sheen as President Josiah Bartlet

Andy Whitfield as Spartacus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Louise Fletcher - Nurse Ratchet in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. A face of stone that woman!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Stephen Hawkings double, apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Gmol wrote: »
    Anthony Hopkins -- Red2 and The one as the bulter in the WW11 film(can't think of the name)

Remains of the Day - absolutely masterful performance.

Off the top of my head and all from various TV series:

Lena Headey as Cersi Lannister in Game of Thrones
    Rami Malek as Elliot Alderson in Mr Robot
    Tatiana Maslany as… eh… half the cast in Orphan Black
    Bryan Cranston as Walter White in Breaking Bad
    and I never watched all seasons of the Wire but Michael K. Williams as Omar Little and Andre Royo as Bubbles were standouts in that show.

Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones.

When he shot the swordsman in Raiders of the Lost Ark, the look of exasperation on his face was hilarious.

Brilliant back story to that scene…

http://screencrush.com/movie-myths-9/

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ironman76

Can't believe nobody has mentioned it yet:

James Gandolfini as Tony Soprano

Nobody, and I mean nobody, in acting since its inception could have made Tony Soprano such a staple of pop culture and an iconic role as Gandolfini. He simply was Tony Soprano. And what a role to be remembered for, in fairness.

EDIT: Whoops, just realised this is the Film forum. :o Sorry, thought for some reason that this was a thread in After Hours and it was any actor in any role in any medium. Apologies. Carry on.

But you gotta admit, Gandolfini made not only the role, but he made the whole show.

First name I thought of too, but then realised it was movies. But really worth a mention. Absolute powerhouse of a performance. Such a commanding screen presence.

I must be the only person on the planet that like Timothy Dalton as Bond.

Don't worry you're not. The Living Daylights is one of my top bond films. Not quite as gritty as the newest incarnation but not nearly as camp and silly as the Roger Moore ones, or the unbelieavableness of the later Brosnan ones.

It was a real shame he didnt get another outing as Bond.

David Hyde Pierce as Niles Crane. He is so good at being Frasiers brother that he did the voice of Sideshow Bobs brother in the simpsons. Sideshow Bob was voiced by Kelsey Grammar(Frasier).

Robin Williams in pretty much every movie with Robin Williams. I can't believe he has gone, I really can't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,428 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

irish_goat wrote: »

Agreed.

A lot of these are just actors that were good in a role and it's perfectly fine to say that they were enjoyable. However, for someone to say that an actor was "born to play a certain role", I think that needs to be qualified by how unique A. the role was and B. the actor was in the role.

Robin Williams in pretty much every movie with Robin Williams. I can't believe he has gone, I really can't.

Robin Williams was Robin Williams in almost everything he did, as enjoyable as that could be. I can only think of 'Dead Poets Society', 'The Night Listener' and 'One Hour Photo' as examples of where he gave performances that were outside of his usual manic act.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Robin Williams was Robin Williams in almost everything he did, as enjoyable as that could be. I can only think of 'Dead Poets Society', 'The Night Listener' and 'One Hour Photo' as examples of where he gave performances that were outside of his usual manic act.

Insomnia and World's Greatest Dad as well. Absolutely brilliant in World's Greatest Dad.

Can't really recall him in 'Insomnia'. Never saw 'World's Greatest Dad'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Don't worry you're not. The Living Daylights is one of my top bond films. Not quite as gritty as the newest incarnation but not nearly as camp and silly as the Roger Moore ones, or the unbelieavableness of the later Brosnan ones.

It was a real shame he didnt get another outing as Bond.

David Hyde Pierce as Niles Crane. He is so good at being Frasiers brother that he did the voice of Sideshow Bobs brother in the simpsons. Sideshow Bob was voiced by Kelsey Grammar(Frasier).

That Simpsons episode has a great throwaway gag too, when Bart jump on Cecil, covering his eyes and asking 'Guess who?'.
    Cecil answers with 'Maris?'

Ryan Reynolds - Deadpool is the main one I can think of.
    Danny Glover and Mel Gibson in Lethal Weapon also.

• Advertisement

Never saw 'World's Greatest Dad'.

Check it out, a fantastic movie. Williams plays an English Teacher who writes a suicide note for his loathsome son to cover up his accidental death by erotic asphyxiation and ends up using the death of his son to sate his literary ambitions by creating a fake diary too.

Then check out Bobcat Goldthwait's other movie, God Bless America and the documentary he made with Barry Crimmins, Call Me Lucky. Stellar stuff.

Insomnia and World's Greatest Dad as well. Absolutely brilliant in World's Greatest Dad.

The episode of Law and Order SVU he was fantastic in as well from a non-manic act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 50 ✭✭thegodlife

Clint Eastwood in those spaghetti westerns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Ardent

Jack Nicholson as Randle McMurphy

Great shout

Check it out, a fantastic movie. Williams plays an English Teacher who writes a suicide note for his loathsome son to cover up his accidental death by erotic asphyxiation and ends up using the death of his son to sate his literary ambitions by creating a fake diary too.

I'll add it to the list. The ever growing list :pac:
    Then check out Bobcat Goldthwait's other movie, God Bless America and the documentary he made with Barry Crimmins, Call Me Lucky. Stellar stuff.

Seen both of them. Thought they were great, although I wonder why 'God Bless America' gets a bad review here and there.

Don't know what these have to do with Robin Williams though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭BigBrownBear

John Goodman - Born to pay Fred Flintstone : )

I'll add it to the list. The ever growing list :pac:

Seen both of them. Thought they were great, although I wonder why 'God Bless America' gets a bad review here and there.

Don't know what these have to do with Robin Williams though?

Sorry. I'm just such a fan of those films that I'll use any excuse to recommend them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Audie Murphy in To Hell and Back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

The fella outside the titty twister bar in from dusk till dawn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭eldest200

Heath Ledger in the Dark Knight

Christopher Lyod in Back to the Future

Morgan Freeman in Shawshank

Alan Rickman in Harry Potter

James Earl Jones in Star Wars

Advertisement