Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Actors who were born to play a certain role

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭eldest200

Hugh Jackman in X - Men

Matthew McConnaughey in True Detective

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,196 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Ryan Reynolds as Wade Wilson /Deadpool

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

I'm gonna cheat and say an actor who should have been cast instead.

Hugh Jackman as Max Rockatansky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Toby Jones often plays the supporting back room, pathetic, tragic, frustrated, etc. types of characters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Hard to imagine anyone other than Joaquin Phoenix as Freddie Quell.

Diane Keaton as Annie Hall, she's great in tons of stuff but this is a role that entirely hinges on her performance and relationship with Woody Allen, it's an unusually solid film from Allen in just about every respect but she adds so ****ing much.

Gena Rowlands in A Woman Under the Influence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,632 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Dennis Hopper and Christopher Walken in that short but impressive role in True Romance, The Sicilian Scene.

Clint Eastwood in the Dirty Harry series of films, but especially Sudden Impact from 1983.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Patrick Stewart - Jean Luc Picard

Captain_Picard_Chair.jpg

Dermot Morgan as Fr. Ted Crilly. Just imagine somebody else like. Actually wasn't the guy who played Dick Byrne considered for the part? Just wouldn't have been the same show at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭MfMan

Gene Hackman as Popeye Doyle

S'funny, I started a thread a bit like this before and was told I couldn't create one with lists...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

eldest200 wrote: »

Alan Rickman in Harry Potter

How about Alan Rickman in every role he's done ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭eldest200

How about Alan Rickman in every role he's done ;)

I do agree with that. I just thought that him in Harry Potter was my favourite from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

latest?cb=20150515233605
    Julian Beck in Poltergeist II as Preacher Kane
    "Let me in!"

MTIwNjA4NjM0MTI0OTk0MDYw.jpg
    Max Schreck as Graf Orlok in Nosferatu
    "Your wife has such a beautiful neck..."

Beck was ill when he played Preacher Kane, which explains his skeletal appearance, but his performance was seriously unnerving too.

As for Schreck, have a look at the wonderful Shadow of the Vampire for an out there explanation as to how he was so convincing as the evil vampire. The jist is that director FW Murnau (John Malkovich) finds a real vampire to play Orlok (Willem Dafoe) who proceeds to leech his way through the cast and crew as they try to finish the movie.
    After devouring the camera man:
    Murnau: "Why him you monster? Why not the... script girl?"
    Schreck/Orlok: "Oh. The script girl. I'll eat her later."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark - game-changing in the superhero genre.

Oscar Isaacs as Llewyn Davis - he's in a lot of things but I think that one will last

Jason Alexander as a George Costanza.
    MfMan wrote: »
    S'funny, I started a thread a bit like this before and was told I couldn't create one with lists...

Good to see you back on your feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Robert Shaw as Quint in Jaws. (Original first choice was Lee Marvin)

Christopher Reeve as Superman.

Alastair Sim as Scrooge (seasonal one there !)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

R. Lee Ermey as Gunnery Sgt. Hartman

He was a technical advisor on the set. He wanted the part so he filmed a scene with the extras himself and showed it to Kubrick.

Kubrick liked it so much he tore up the script and let him do his own lines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

irish_goat wrote: »
    This thread is just people naming their favourite actors. The vast majority of actors mentioned are replaceable. Another actor may not play the roles the exact same way but could have made it their own in their own particular way.

I don't know, there are certainly some actors who define a role and make the character their own.

I mentioned Andy Whitfield in Spartacus who totally captured the character, and his replacement actor simply wasn't as good and lacked the charisma.
    The same could be said for Daniel Radcliffe as Harry Potter, De Niro in Taxi or even Bruce Willis in Die Hard.
    None of those three I'd consider my favourite actors, but they certainly captured the essence of a role and it's hard to believe anyone else could play it better.

Gene Wilder as Willy Wonka in the original Charlie and the Chocoloate Factory. Watched it yesterday and realised what a iconic casting he was.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Stephen Fry as Oscar Wilde. Because he looked very like him at the time and I reckon they would very similar personality wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Martin Sheen - Badlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Larry David in Curb your Enthusiasm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Kenneth Williams as the KhasI of Kalabar in Carry On Up the Khyber.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,017 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I must be the only person on the planet that like Timothy Dalton as Bond.
    Don't worry you're not. The Living Daylights is one of my top bond films. Not quite as gritty as the newest incarnation but not nearly as camp and silly as the Roger Moore ones, or the unbelieavableness of the later Brosnan ones.

It was a real shame he didnt get another outing as Bond.
    The funny thing about Dalton is that he only got the job because Pierce Brosnan was stuck playing a Bond-type character in Remington Steele. Brosnan was offered the Bond role at a time when it looked like Remington Steele was cancelled, but then it was un-cancelled, and the Bond offer was withdrawn. It wouldn't have made sense for him to be connected to both at the same time.

Brosnan was basically born to play James Bond, he was being suggested for the role practically as soon as he became known as an actor. :cool:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

Advertisement