Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BYO board games venue?

Options
  • 24-06-2015 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to play board games somewhere that we can consume alcohol at the same time. Pubs sound ideal but the few I talked to were not really up for it. One place even stipulated that I purchase a certain amount...

I'm talking about a group of us no bigger than 8. None of us have a suitable house to host it in.

Comments

I can understand pubs wanting to charge you for doing this, because you are effectively taking up room to be there. You could try asking the pubs down around Dominic street. Maybe even looking into renting out the Ruby Room in the Kings Head. If that still exists ..? Apart from this, what's stopping you from playing at one of your houses?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Galway Gaming Tribes meets up every Monday from 7 onwards upstairs in Seven.

Seems to be exactly what you're looking for.

Edit; They play board games and video games, and drink beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

+1 for the gaming tribes in seven. A friend of mine is involved with running it and I've been to a few and it's a blast.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

"Dungeons and Doughnuts" sounds like what you'd want.
    Beside the bridge opposite the police station down in Mill Street

Their doughnuts are savage - just wish they got proper berista as their coffee is muck

Edit: just saw you wanted to drink. Ha somehow missed that first time. I say Seven (new Kellys ) is best bet alright

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

There's a board gaming club in 091 Labs. I haven't been a member for a while so I'm not sure how active they are. I guess get in touch and see. A couple years ago, it was BYOB, and there was a "tuck shop" with everything reasonably priced. They might ask that everyone chips in ~€2/hr for help pay for rent/bills etc. It'll work out cheaper than a pub anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

what's stopping you from playing at one of your houses?
    Sniipe wrote: »
    None of us have a suitable house to host it in.

Red_Wake wrote: »
    Galway Gaming Tribes meets up every Monday from 7 onwards upstairs in Seven.
    This sounds very good. I will have to scope it out soon. Their facebook page doesn't give away much.
    There's a board gaming club in 091 Labs. I haven't been a member for a while so I'm not sure how active they are. I guess get in touch and see. A couple years ago, it was BYOB, and there was a "tuck shop" with everything reasonably priced. They might ask that everyone chips in ~€2/hr for help pay for rent/bills etc. It'll work out cheaper than a pub anyway.
    I've wondered about this. I thought it was members only...

Sniipe wrote: »
    This sounds very good. I will have to scope it out soon. Their facebook page doesn't give away much.

I've wondered about this. I thought it was members only...

You'll probably need one person at least as a member. There are people there already interested in board games so you might find additional people.

Nothing to lose by getting in contact with them!

You'll probably need one person at least as a member. There are people there already interested in board games so you might find additional people.

Nothing to lose by getting in contact with them!

If you join that group, you'll get the event invite every week with full details.

They're very friendly, when I started going I didn't know anyone, but now chat to pretty much everyone there.

Red_Wake wrote: »
    If you join that group, you'll get the event invite every week with full details.

They're very friendly, when I started going I didn't know anyone, but now chat to pretty much everyone there.

I'm no longer in Galway (nor Ireland for that matter) which is why I'm not a member. I was a member for nearly 2 years though. We may even know each other IRL....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

I'd love to get involved with the whole tabletop / board game nights but I know absolutely nothing about a lot of them and getting involved with a group of already established friends who play a lot together would make me nervous!

• Advertisement

I'm no longer in Galway (nor Ireland for that matter) which is why I'm not a member. I was a member for nearly 2 years though. We may even know each other IRL....

I can think of 3 or 4 members who left Galway. I got on well with all of them.

Will we take this to PM?

Advertisement