Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mail redirection - best avenue

Options
  • 24-06-2015 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

I'm most likely moving in a week. Leaving this a bit late because our closing date wasn't 100% confirmed until today.

I'm just wondering what the current best way to do this is. When I originally moved in to where I am now, I used newaddress.ie and it was great back then, saved a lot of hassle.
    But looking at the site now, it doesn't seem to have been maintained, lots of companies there who don't exist anymore, bad layout, etc. So I don't want to use that.

An post redirection seemed like a good idea, but then I saw the cost per redirection. Fine if it was just me. But it's my daughter, myself, and my wife who potentially goes by 3 different names (long story). So paying for five redirections seems insane.

So right now, I'm thinking about the old fashioned way; notifying all of the companies myself (the list is up to 20 so far), and leaving a bottle of wine and a box of chocolates for the buyer along with my phone number and a request to please text me if anything comes in. Or to hand it into our friends next door.

There will no doubt be some random company who sends mailshots once every 3 years that we'll forget.

What do renters typically do? I know a lot of renters may move 2 or 3 times every five years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Contact companies yourself.

Leave a few a4 stamped addressed envelopes with the bottle of wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I've always just contacted all the companies myself. Yes it's a bit of a hassle, but you'll have to do it eventually anyway, even if you pay for mail forwarding. Just go through the whole list on one day and get them all done. You can probably do some of them online anyway.

When renting, the next tenants usually won't forward your mail. Some things you forget to update will get lost, that's just how it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭sapper

An post charges per redirect from one address to another, you can have as many names as you like on the list (or at least 4 anyway).

I moved recently and paid EUR90 for 6 months redirect for my me and my wife.

The people we are renting from cheaped out and tried to do it themselves by contacting each company - we are still getting loads of mail for them 4 months later

My wife goes by 2 or 3 names as well - you just treat them like different people -I think you can add a sheet to the application form if theres not enough space.

Obviously you need to keep an eye out and contact anyone who sends you mail that had to be redirected

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

seamus wrote: »
    I'm most likely moving in a week. Leaving this a bit late because our closing date wasn't 100% confirmed until today.

I'm just wondering what the current best way to do this is. When I originally moved in to where I am now, I used newaddress.ie and it was great back then, saved a lot of hassle.
    But looking at the site now, it doesn't seem to have been maintained, lots of companies there who don't exist anymore, bad layout, etc. So I don't want to use that.

An post redirection seemed like a good idea, but then I saw the cost per redirection. Fine if it was just me. But it's my daughter, myself, and my wife who potentially goes by 3 different names (long story). So paying for five redirections seems insane.

So right now, I'm thinking about the old fashioned way; notifying all of the companies myself (the list is up to 20 so far), and leaving a bottle of wine and a box of chocolates for the buyer along with my phone number and a request to please text me if anything comes in. Or to hand it into our friends next door.

There will no doubt be some random company who sends mailshots once every 3 years that we'll forget.

What do renters typically do? I know a lot of renters may move 2 or 3 times every five years.

Do you know your postman? You can try just letting him know.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Hah, my wife knows the postman (ooh...err) cos he's mad about our dog. So that might be a good idea, ask him to stick the post in next door instead.

I might go ahead and pay for a 3 months redirect. The list of things to change is now up to 31, and some of them annoyingly can't be changed until you're already moved. So that 3 month buffer should give me time to pick up the stragglers.

Thanks guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'd say contact companies yourself.

I'm in my current house now over a year and still get regular mail from the previous tenants ( three seperate people). We bundle the mail in the kitchen in a little box, and the odd time they drop over to collect.

It's no major hassle, pretty quick exchanges at the door and it's grand.

In our previous apartment, the tenants were a nightmare it seemed, and there was legal correspondance and you name it coming to apartment constantly (nevermind debt collectors) we bunched it all up to a point but with no one coming for it and no redirect address, ended up using it to help start the living room fire ;)

When I moved out of last place left my contact details with my landlord and asked him to pass it onto new tenants, and if they got any mail for me which I forgot to change at source(the companies) to just drop me a text and I'll collect at a time that suits them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

seamus wrote: »
    Hah, my wife knows the postman (ooh...err) cos he's mad about our dog. So that might be a good idea, ask him to stick the post in next door instead.

I might go ahead and pay for a 3 months redirect. The list of things to change is now up to 31, and some of them annoyingly can't be changed until you're already moved. So that 3 month buffer should give me time to pick up the stragglers.

Thanks guys

We printed 50 labels and gave the postman 50 quid, working great so far

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Tell the companies, and pay AnPost for redirect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Congrats on the move. We paid an-post, one redirect does the whole family. I'm glad we did actually, because there were loads of things I hadn't thought of.
    Apart from the obvious revenue, banks, utilities there were things like chemists and public health nurses, places you get your furniture or electronics. We got a recall notice that would have been missed.

Now, what the person leaving our house did, was ask us to hold onto it. And he kept popping in every week or so for it. Drove me nuts to be honest. Lasted nearly a year and I was sick of the sight of him.

Advertisement