Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ben Dunne gym question????

• 24-06-2015 4:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

I'm new to the whole gym experience and am thinking of joining this gym. My question is how good are the facilities and do they supply mats for ground exercises???

Comments

You're better off just going there and examining them yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

I'm new to the whole gym experience and am thinking of joining this gym. My question is how good are the facilities and do they supply mats for ground exercises???

I've been a member of two Ben Dunne gyms. Both gyms were brand new, the equipment is brand new and is regularly maintained, the places are clean, the staff are friendly. They operate on the premise of it being a low price basic gym. It is a gym only, no saunas, spas, tennis courts, beauty treatments etc. It's a gym and changing rooms, though some sites do have a pool.

You can go to the gym anytime and a member of staff will show you around. There are plenty of mats on the floors and mirrors on the walls. There are weight machines, free weights and aerobic exercise machines. They also have studios were they provide a wide range of fitness classes which are all free. The changing rooms are kept clean and fresh.

I have been a member of many more expensive gyms over the years and much prefer the Ben Dunne gyms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    I've been a member of two Ben Dunne gyms. Both gyms were brand new, the equipment is brand new and is regularly maintained, the places are clean, the staff are friendly.
    Well it makes sense that a new gym would have new equipment. Means little for an existing BD gym.
    And how do you know it's regularly maintained if the equipment is new?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭mightybashful

Which one are you joining?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

Mellor wrote: »
    Well it makes sense that a new gym would have new equipment. Means little for an existing BD gym.
    And how do you know it's regularly maintained if the equipment is new?

Well, I joined the Ben Dunne gym in Sandyford on the day it opened in 2011 and then moved my membership to Cherrywood when it opened. I go to the gym nearly every day. Since then I have seen Ben Dunne engineers service all the machines on a regular basis. If any machine breaks, it is marked as 'out of order' and is fixed the next day, 9 out of 10 times. I have seen engineers from the actual machine manufacturers come to the gym and inspect and test every machine on a few occasions. They have also installed new machines.

The place is in the same condition today as it was the day I joined. They didn't just buy a load of new gear and then ignore the place. I think that bodes well for any potential member who might want to join an existing gym.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

I have to agree. BD is superbly equipped. Rarely wait for a bench even at peak hours. Everything is in top class condition, and as mentioned regularly serviced.

Lots of room. They've even gotten on bags, sand bags, battle ropes, lifting platforms.

My only complaint is the number of brain dead tools who leave plates and dumbells everywhere. Lazy, useless shìts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Which one are you joining?

I'm joining the Sandyford one. Does anyone know whether this gym is usually very busy or should i be careful at what times during the days I should go at. I am comfortable going around noon time most days. Is this okay??? I don't want to be waiting for equipment in between exercises/sets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I'm joining the Sandyford one. Does anyone know whether this gym is usually very busy or should i be careful at what times during the days I should go at. I am comfortable going around noon time most days. Is this okay??? I don't want to be waiting for equipment in between exercises/sets.

I used to be a member in Sandyford. It was busy as hell in the weights area. I found the sweet spot between busy periods was 8:30-10:00 on weekdays and Sunday. Never found another time that wasn't busy so gave up after about 8 months.

Although if treadmills and cross trainers are your thing, you'd be fine

I used to be a member in Sandyford. It was busy as hell in the weights area. I found the sweet spot between busy periods was 8:30-10:00 on weekdays and Sunday. Never found another time that wasn't busy so gave up after about 8 months.

Although if treadmills and cross trainers are your thing, you'd be fine

8.30 - 10.00 in the morning or evening???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

I paid 660e for Jackie Skelly back in the good times........I paid 140e for Ben Dunne in Lucan and it's a better gym imo

• Advertisement

As a first timer, I can't believe how much people are willing to pay for gyms. My dad is part of Westwood, which takes over 700 euro a year and the place is usually packed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Noon will get you ahead of the lunchtime spike but even at peak times, there is almost always spare capacity. (I use aerobic machines mostly. The weights area is usually busy but I don't see people having to wait much.)

I would agree it is good value compared to some others. I moved from UCD when the Crunch franchise ended a couple of years ago and as a basic, solid gym, BD is much better value and less crowded. Of course if a pool and climbing wall are important to you, then you will have to look elsewhere.

Another good feature in Sandyford is the spacious car park underneath, wifh two hours free. That was a big plus for me as UCD has become impossible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭izzyflusky

nc19 wrote: »
    I paid 660e for Jackie Skelly back in the good times........I paid 140e for Ben Dunne in Lucan and it's a better gym imo

Is the Lucan one very busy? What about the weights area? I was thinking about starting weight training, but I would be a complete beginner so I'm still unsure.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Woodbrook80

What are the classes like in Cherrywood mainly yoga/pilates seem cheapest for both in the area

Just another question. I am 16 years old and on the Ben Dunne website on the FAQs section, it says the minimum age to join is 16. But when you are filling out the membership information online, beside the Date of Birth part it says in brackets that you must be over 17 years old.

I don't know what to do and how to fill out this membership form???

give them a ring and ask

bluewolf wrote: »
    give them a ring and ask

didn't pick up the phone :o

Anyone know of any 16 year olds at Ben Dunne or happen to be 16 with a membership there???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Anyone know of any 16 year olds at Ben Dunne or happen to be 16 with a membership there???

I see quite a few what look like schoolboys in the Sandyford gym but you really would need to talk to them about their age policy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

izzyflusky wrote:
    Is the Lucan one very busy? What about the weights area? I was thinking about starting weight training, but I would be a complete beginner so I'm still unsure.

It can be busy if you go at the busy times like lunch time and early evening.

I tend to go after 8pm weekdays and around 10am Sunday

There is always weights and benches available

• Advertisement
Advertisement