Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the deal with Card Protection Plan refund?

Options
  • 24-06-2015 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭

When I first got a credit card in 2007 I believe, it was implied that I needed a protection plan in order to avoid getting hefty fees in case my card was robbed. I was still paying these up until a year or two ago, when I realised the service I was paying for was free anyway. I cancelled my plan and forgot about it.

Until I found out that BOI had been sending letters to my parents, which was my address when I signed up. The letter seems to imply I'm entitled to a refund, though it also seems to only give me a refund if I'm still paying for protection.

Am I still entitled to anything? Or did cancelling it when I realised it was rubbish negate that...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Glazun

Actually  I found my answer! Posted it below incase anyone else was wondering..

link - http://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/help-centre/product-queries/personal-banking/card-protection/
    • My card protection policy is now closed – am I still eligible to make a claim?
      Yes, if your policy was first purchased before the 1st of August 2011. Eligible customers will be given the opportunity to claim a refund of Card Protection premiums paid since the introduction of the Consumer Protection Code on the 1st of August 2006.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭exgp

I got the same letter about five or six weeks ago. I had cancelled the card insurance years back. Last week I had a letter from BOI saying they are doing to lodge €90+ to my account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Janet

Glazun wrote: »
    Actually  I found my answer! Posted it below incase anyone else was wondering..

link - http://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/help-centre/product-queries/personal-banking/card-protection/
    • My card protection policy is now closed – am I still eligible to make a claim?
      Yes, if your policy was first purchased before the 1st of August 2011. Eligible customers will be given the opportunity to claim a refund of Card Protection premiums paid since the introduction of the Consumer Protection Code on the 1st of August 2006.

Hi Glazun, 

Thanks for you post.

Yes, you're entitled to make a claim. 

If you have any queries regarding the 'redress scheme' you can contact Bank of Ireland's dedicated helpline on 1890 946160 or 00353766248023.

Lines are open from 9am - 5pm Monday to Friday.

Janette

Advertisement