Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WTD - wheels

Options
  • 24-06-2015 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,
    I'm on the lookout for a wheelset that has a 25mm rim width and an alloy braking surface.

P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

pgibbo wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I'm on the lookout for a wheelset that has a 25mm rim width and an alloy braking surface.

P.

Gary out in MBW had Zipp 101s at a very good price (sub 700 for the wheelset iirc). Think they're 30mm but sure what's 5mm between friends. :

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

BTH wrote: »
    Gary out in MBW had Zipp 101s at a very good price (sub 700 for the wheelset iirc). Think they're 30mm but sure what's 5mm between friends. :

*sigh*

101s are 30mm DEEP.

pgibbo is looking for 25mm wide, I am assuming getting caught up in the wider is faster (rolling resistance and more puncture proof)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

tunney wrote: »
    *sigh*

101s are 30mm DEEP.

pgibbo is looking for 25mm wide, I am assuming getting caught up in the wider is faster (rolling resistance and more puncture proof)

No, not getting caught up in that. My race wheels are 25mm wide and I have integrated brakes. Swapped in my training wheel and discovered going down a hill that I have no brakes as the training wheels are only 20mm wide.

The only thing that's going to make me go faster is training on the bike and I've missed enough of that already

pgibbo wrote: »
    No, not getting caught up in that. My race wheels are 25mm wide and I have integrated brakes. Swapped in my training wheel and discovered going down a hill that I have no brakes as the training wheels are only 20mm wide.

The only thing that's going to make me go faster is training on the bike and I've missed enough of that already

LOL sorry

Sorry, only half read the OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

hed ardenne 25 wide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭tommy_tucker

tunney wrote: »
    *sigh*

101s are 30mm DEEP.

Do you have evidence that says there not faster and more puncture resistant?

No, I think they probably are. Was just slagging the OP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

yes there is evidence- if you are willing to do your google work - as there are many aspects to play a part into this.and its not so black and white

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Your probably going to have to go down the line of handbuilts not many options of factory wheels in 25mm though there are a few now that are a little wider at 23mm or so and are not going to be cheap for a training wheel.
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/3t/accelero-40-pro-wheelset-ec057350

Even for handbuilts 23mm are more common some I know of
    H Plus son Archetype rims are 23mm are well regarded from what I've read and a lot cheaper than HED ardennes.
    Velocity23's
    DT Swiss 460's are 23mm wide on 105 hubs for €370
    Pacenti SL23 and SL25 are very good and more of a race wheel but bit dearer though these are well priced the rims alone are over €100 each

Don't know anything about these own brand rims but they are 25mm
    http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/arc31-ultrawide-wheelset.htm
    http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/arc22-ultrawide-wheelset.htm

Will cost a little more but I'd probably source the rims and hubs and get them built local. Beecycles owner Holyboy post in the cycling forum and is a very good wheelbuilder .

http://www.bikehubstore.com/2015-Pacenti-SL23-p/sl23-2015.htm
    Is a good site for hubs and rims USA though so you'll probably get stung for VAT.

Edit Some rim widths here
    http://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/Implications_of_Rim_Width_2803.html
    Other option some budget chinese carbon wheels would still cost €400-500?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

What's that lad in the US I read on slowtwitch that says why would he pay all that money for race wheels and stick them in the shed to take them out once or twice a year. He even uses the aero helmet in training as well :o

Use the race wheels - you have spent enough on wheel sets over the years, why spend a fortune on training wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

catweazle wrote: »
    What's that lad in the US I read on slowtwitch that says why would he pay all that money for race wheels and stick them in the shed to take them out once or twice a year. He even uses the aero helmet in training as well :o

Use the race wheels - you have spent enough on wheel sets over the years, why spend a fortune on training wheels.

All quiet at the airport? :cool: Safe trip!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I love my iPad :confused:

Gas flight - all the bucks with their oakleys and ironman finisher t shirts :rolleyes:

catweazle wrote: »
    I love my iPad :confused:

Gas flight - all the bucks with their oakleys and ironman finisher t shirts :rolleyes:

Are you wearing your BMC kit?

Advertisement