Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing From Digidialler to GSM on a HKC 812 Alarm

Options
  • 24-06-2015 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi
    I have a HKC alarm installed in my own House and also one in my Mothers house. I installed them myself 10 years ago and apart from a few sensors to be replaced these have been very reliable. I have had a digi dialler on them for the last 10 years and it has sent texts to the phone when needed. Since the Eircom decision to remove this service I need to think about either replacing the alarm with a newer model that may have a built in GSM or else see if I can source a GSM that is compatible with this unit.
    Unit makes are a SW812 Panel with a 4 Zone expander. Software Version Nov 04 V7.0
    Unfortunately there is 2 no. units involved so I need to know
    Would I be better to change the alarm system with a newer model and buy a GSM built in
    Or
    Would I be able to source a GSM that will do the existing units? The only problem I have with this is the problem of not getting parts for the 812 in the future.
    The advantage of getting a GSM is it may allow the landline to be removed in the future.
    If anyone one has an opinion on this I would appreciate this. I need advice on what is the best technical solution and also what is the best cost wise.

Also is it difficult to change from a digi dialler to a GSM unit.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

Jogtipp wrote: »
    Hi
    I have a HKC alarm installed in my own House and also one in my Mothers house. I installed them myself 10 years ago and apart from a few sensors to be replaced these have been very reliable. I have had a digi dialler on them for the last 10 years and it has sent texts to the phone when needed. Since the Eircom decision to remove this service I need to think about either replacing the alarm with a newer model that may have a built in GSM or else see if I can source a GSM that is compatible with this unit.
    Unit makes are a SW812 Panel with a 4 Zone expander. Software Version Nov 04 V7.0
    Unfortunately there is 2 no. units involved so I need to know
    Would I be better to change the alarm system with a newer model and buy a GSM built in
    Or
    Would I be able to source a GSM that will do the existing units? The only problem I have with this is the problem of not getting parts for the 812 in the future.
    The advantage of getting a GSM is it may allow the landline to be removed in the future.
    If anyone one has an opinion on this I would appreciate this. I need advice on what is the best technical solution and also what is the best cost wise.

Also is it difficult to change from a digi dialler to a GSM unit.

Thanks

You could use a GSM-P on both units which will give you more information with regards zone activations like what you are receiving now plus it will give you remote access to the alarm system for arming/disarming. The only problem with this is these systems are obsolete now. So if you did have an issue with a part that could not be replaced it would be a lot of money down the drain. I would not recommend it myself but you have the option.
    There is an option to connect the system to SecureText which cost less than a €1 a week for self monitoring but you would need to retain some sort of phone in the house. It will also work with UPC so no matter the service provider you will still get the text.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Jogtipp

Thanks Altor for getting back to me on this. The option for secure text sounds good for my alarm as more than likely I will hold onto the phone line. How does this work. Do I need to change out the digi dialler and who runs this system. Do you pay per text or per year ? Our phone line is an eircom line but we have it through Vodafone at the moment.

Unfortunately the alarm in my mothers house will need some form of GSM as she wants to get rid of the land line. Would I be better off getting a new alarm system with a built in GSM facility. I know HKC do a 1070 and 10120. Is there any maintenance costs with these units?Are these set up similar to the 812.

Sorry for the amount of questions but I want to be sure I go the right way especially on the on the 2nd alarm.

Thanks again

Thanks Altor for getting back to me on this. The option for secure text sounds good for my alarm as more than likely I will hold onto the phone line. How does this work. Do I need to change out the digi dialler and who runs this system. Do you pay per text or per year ? Our phone line is an eircom line but we have it through Vodafone at the moment.

Unfortunately the alarm in my mothers house will need some form of GSM as she wants to get rid of the land line. Would I be better off getting a new alarm system with a built in GSM facility. I know HKC do a 1070 and 10120. Is there any maintenance costs with these units?Are these set up similar to the 812.

Sorry for the amount of questions but I want to be sure I go the right way especially on the on the 2nd alarm.

Thanks again

HKC run the SecureText. Here is a link to the prices and what is included. For Self monitoring the first option with 50 Texts is more than enough. You can set it up yourself by changing the message centre number or if you don't have engineer acces have your installer do same for you. Its a simple job to do once you have the code. The service provider as I said does not matter. IT will also work with UPC.

On the second system if they are not using the line you could have the system up graded and a GSM installed. A Ready to go sim can be used with these GSMs. For pricing you would need to contact local installers. I would recommend the 10/70 out of the two you have asked about as it gives the ability to add a whole suite of wire free devices to it.

If they do upgrade I would hold onto the other system for parts.
    You just never know when they might be needed :)

Thanks Altor

I will check out the 1070. I think it may be the way to go on this one.

Thanks for you help on this one. It is always good to speak to somebody who actually knows what they are talking about.

Thanks Altor

I will check out the 1070. I think it may be the way to go on this one.

Thanks for you help on this one. It is always good to speak to somebody who actually knows what they are talking about.

No problem.
    If you have anymore questions please let us know.

• Advertisement

Cheers

Advertisement