Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting a Commercial Property

Options
  • 24-06-2015 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭

Hi-

Does anyone happen to know if there are statutory laws (similar to residential rental) that mean a landlord cannot enter a commercial property without arranging it first with their tenant?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,344 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

JayRoc wrote: »
    Hi-

Does anyone happen to know if there are statutory laws (similar to residential rental) that mean a landlord cannot enter a commercial property without arranging it first with their tenant?

Thanks

I would expect the lease to have provisions conveying "quiet enjoyment" and prohibiting "re entry".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Marcusm wrote: »
    I would expect the lease to have provisions conveying "quiet enjoyment" and prohibiting "re entry".

The subject is mentioned in the lease alright. I was really wondering if there was some equivalent to the laws governing landlord access to residential lettings.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭The_fever

The subject is mentioned in the lease alright. I was really wondering if there was some equivalent to the laws governing landlord access to residential lettings.

Cheers

I know there is a clause in our lease that we are able to carry on business peacefully without interference from landlord.. We were recently going to send a solicitors letter and told him so and he backed off. But written in stone I don't think so

• Registered Users Posts: 10,344 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Cheers

Consumers (ie residential tenants) need the benefit of statutory protection, especially as there are often no written terms of the lease. Commercial tenants generally have the ability to negotiate so don't need such statutory protections. That being said, if the landlord has given a quiet enjoyment covenant and not reserved rights to enter the property, you should see a solicitor about sending him a strongly worded letter.

Advertisement