Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Van parking beside driveway

Options
  • 24-06-2015 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭

Looking for advice.

There is a guy who lives 2 doors down from me and is doing diy to his house for the past 3 or so years so likes the front of his house clear for different things

He drives a van for a living and randomly decides every now and then to park it beside my driveway, even tho there is plenty of space outside his own house.

The thing is I find it is dangerous as i cannot see down the road reversing out and he completely restricts my view. His van also slightly goes over into my driveway in length but i dont want to sound petty.

Have i rights to tell him not to park there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

You can always request that he doesn't park there. But, if he is blocking your drive or making it unsafe, then you can report it to the council parking unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Hes a neighbour, Just knock on the door and when he answers say the words 'Can you please not park your van outside my house as its making reversing out of my drive very difficult and dangerous'

Its called a conversation, neighbours have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

cruais wrote: »
    Looking for advice.

There is a guy who lives 2 doors down from me and is doing diy to his house for the past 3 or so years so likes the front of his house clear for different things

He drives a van for a living and randomly decides every now and then to park it beside my driveway, even tho there is plenty of space outside his own house.

The thing is I find it is dangerous as i cannot see down the road reversing out and he completely restricts my view. His van also slightly goes over into my driveway in length but i dont want to sound petty.

You shouldn't reverse out , reverse in. It's much safer. And its policy in many work places fur such reasons

Hes a neighbour, Just knock on the door and when he answers say the words 'Can you please not park your van outside my house as its making reversing out of my drive very difficult and dangerous'

'Some' neighbours are approachable, some not. Frankly if someone is so ignorant to park their van in front of someone elses house when there is space in front of their own, I would bet that they are not the type who will respond to any kind of polite or reasonable request.

OP, I have a similar issue (an old banger of a car parked constantly in front or opposite my drive) This guy leaves round the corner. I can only assume as his car is a piece of junk he prefers to keep it away from this house. He only uses it Monday to Friday for work commute then leaves it parked up for the entire weekend.

Now I have tried to talk to this guy, as have my other neigbbors. No joy. One of those ignoranr types who couldn't give a monkeys and doesn't interact with any of the neighbors so doesn't care if he annoys us.

Short answer, I'm afraid, is that he is entitled to park where he feels like it, as long as he is not blocking you in or up on the footpath. However as I have said to my annoying parker 'there is a difference between what is legal and what is common neighborly courtesy'

Hopefully, van driver might take this on board....but based on my experience, don't be surprised if he doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Thanks, but no need to be sarcastic with me.

Another poster mentioned about parking on the pathway and that he is. He parks two wheels on the path and two wheels on the road, but in honesty, so do other people as the road is very narrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

I would try politely asking him to stop parking there if it was me but I understand that some people don't like confrontation etc so as an alternative could you try putting down a couple of large traffic cones there?
    It would hopefully get the point across if you don't fancy talking to him about it and if there is lots of other space to park in, he's unlikely to bother moving them or asking you about them.

Worth a shot ;)

Thanks, but no need to be sarcastic with me.

Another poster mentioned about parking on the pathway and that he is. He parks two wheels on the path and two wheels on the road, but in honesty, so do other people as the road is very narrow.

No sarcasm at all, Really, Go and talk with him. He may be confrontational, But chances are he'll be mortified that its upsetting you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

'Some' neighbours are approachable, some not. Frankly if someone is so ignorant to park their van in front of someone elses house when there is space in front of their own, I would bet that they are not the type who will respond to any kind of polite or reasonable request.

Thats no way to live life, what a depressing view of people you seem to have!!!
    Most people do things because they are unaware that its upsetting others. You cant assume because someone is parking in a place you don't want them to park that they are ignorant and unapproachable.

No sarcasm at all, Really, Go and talk with him. He may be confrontational, But chances are he'll be mortified that its upsetting you.

I highly doubt he will be 'mortified' or anything like it. he knows exactly what hes doing, and must have some inkling he is being a nuisance. He has a brass neck, more like.

• Advertisement

Sorry, i took you up wrong. :)

Im keeping an eye out for him, as he is always in the front hammering and drilling at all hours of the night. (Thats a whole other issue).

Ill nab him then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

ted1 wrote: »
    You shouldn't reverse out , reverse in. It's much safer. And its policy in many work places fur such reasons

It's also against the rules of the road to reverse out of your drive onto the road

Patww79 wrote: »
    Irrelevant if he's partially blocking the drive in this case though. Not the issue at all, the van driver is in the wrong.

It's not irrelevant , the op said it's dangerous reversing out ( and potentially illegal depending on the road )
    Studies have shown that reversing in is much safer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Looking for advice.

Id start parking outside his driveway, see how he likes it??

Thats no way to live life, what a depressing view of people you seem to have!!!
    Most people do things because they are unaware that its upsetting others. You cant assume because someone is parking in a place you don't want them to park that they are ignorant and unapproachable.

Ok, well then think about it this way. Why would he not park his van in front of his own house? Why would he choose to park in front of someone elses? It doesn't take Einstien to figure out that most people a. like to have the space outside their own house for a visitor and b. might not want to look out at a van all day.

If you think he is just doing this randomly then you are being incredibly naïve...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Sarn

corglass wrote: »
    It's also against the rules of the road to reverse out of your drive onto the road

On a side note, the rules of the road states that you must not reverse from a minor road onto a major road as it is unsafe to do so. It is not illegal to reverse out of your driveway once you use due care as your driveway is not classed as a minor road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Maybe you should park there for a while, let him find somewhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Sarn wrote: »
    On a side note, the rules of the road states that you must not reverse from a minor road onto a major road as it is unsafe to do so. It is not illegal to reverse out of your driveway once you use due care as your driveway is not classed as a minor road.

That's not what my driving instructor told me.

Either ways, it sounds like the neighbour needs to take a little care with placement.

Parking in from of someone else's house is OK.

Parking over their driveway or making the road dangerous for them is not. Start by talking to them, in a friendly positive way, from a road safety point of view. Only if that doesn't work, escalate to the council from the road safety point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ChrisM

I have seen some people put medium/large stones down to stop vehicles parking up on the verge. I'd guess the wheelbase is longer on the van compared to a Ford Mondeo for example, so maybe place the stones in such a way that a car will fit but not a van?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

ChrisM wrote: »
    I have seen some people put medium/large stones down to stop vehicles parking up on the verge. I'd guess the wheelbase is longer on the van compared to a Ford Mondeo for example, so maybe place the stones in such a way that a car will fit but not a van?

Not a good idea. You don't own the area outside your house, so you've no right to erect obstacles.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Park your car on the road, if talking to him doesn't work. And as others have said, stop reversing out of your driveway. Learn to reverse park, its far safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

Is it not illegal to park a commercial vehicle overnight in a residential area?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Dealing with the problem by talking with the neighbour is always the first and best option. Although if that doesn't work...

I saw an episode of 'Neighbours from Hell' where something similar was going on. The affected neighbour got an old bicycle and secured it in the spot where the other guy kept parking. He had some kind of bracket fitted to the kerb which he locked the bike to so it couldn't be moved without damaging something.

Not sure I'd go down that route myself but it would provide the rest of the neighbours with some amusement. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Park your car at the front the way hé does. He will get the message

Murt10 wrote: »

No it's not

Murt10 wrote: »

How on earth could it be illegal to park a commercial vehicle in a residential area, it would be an insane rule. Where do people get these ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

How on earth could it be illegal to park a commercial vehicle in a residential area, it would be an insane rule. Where do people get these ideas?

A lot of private estates have this rule, for the reasons the OP posted.

Thanks for all of the advice.

I always try to park where he parks as my husband has a car so it will save us moving cars around depending on who needs to move first in the mornings.

He just takes the opportunity to park there when my car isnt parked. He doesnt have a drive way although he has a corner house with a massive front garden. So much so, there is enough to put an extension on the house and a driveway.

With regard to reversing into the driveway. I 90% do, however, when he parks the van there and with my neighbours car opposite parked on the road also, my only option is to drive into the driveway.

Regardless of driving in or reversing in, when i leave my drive way i cannot see down the road with the size of this van. It creates a total blindspot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Mrs Buckét is alive and well.

Some social housing leases have a clause saying no commercial vehicles can be parked at the property or on the estate.

Makes for interesting neighbourhood discussions about what constitutes a commercial vehicle. One example is small cars with company writing. Technically they are commercial vehicles. Most people don't mind them - until there are complaints about certain other larger vehicles, which often are 100% for private use but look "commercial".

Local solutions, starting with discussions between neighbours, almost always work best. Council solutions are the next step.

Advertisement