Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Van parking beside driveway

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Mrs Buckét is alive and well.

Some social housing leases have a clause saying no commercial vehicles can be parked at the property or on the estate.

Makes for interesting neighbourhood discussions about what constitutes a commercial vehicle. One example is small cars with company writing. Technically they are commercial vehicles. Most people don't mind them - until there are complaints about certain other larger vehicles, which often are 100% for private use but look "commercial".

Local solutions, starting with discussions between neighbours, almost always work best. Council solutions are the next step.
    I guess it depends on who it's taxed. It's either commercial or not.
    3 tonne limits work best. It gets rid of the big vehicles.

A land cruiser is much bigger than caddy vans. I suspect it's more to do with snobbery

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

'Some' neighbours are approachable, some not. Frankly if someone is so ignorant to park their van in front of someone elses house when there is space in front of their own, I would bet that they are not the type who will respond to any kind of polite or reasonable request.
    The neighbour is parking on a free space that is not being used by anyone, and is not blocking the OP form getting out.
    Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    You missed a bit;
    cruais wrote: »
    park it beside my driveway
    ChrisM wrote: »
    I have seen some people put medium/large stones down to stop vehicles parking up on the verge. I'd guess the wheelbase is longer on the van compared to a Ford Mondeo for example, so maybe place the stones in such a way that a car will fit but not a van?
    If he gets proof the OP put them there, the OP would be liable for damages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Patww79 wrote: »
    Yeah, my bad :D

OP; if he's parking out front, you don't have any right to tell him to move, as it's not your property, but if he's blocking your exit, you can tell him to move.

A lot of private estates have this rule, for the reasons the OP posted.

I don't think I've ever been in an estate in my life that didn't have a few vans or commercial jeeps. It's an idiotic rule for people who rely on their commercially taxed vehicle to get around.

Fair enough if it's a ban on trucks, small lorrys et. (Which I suspect is what these rules are actually against that people speak off) but trying to stop someone parking a transit or landcruiser in an estate is beyond stupid even more so by the fact both vehicles are available as private seated vehicle which take up the same amount of space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Park in that spot yourself for a few weeks. That would get the message across, especially as you would be leaving your driveway clear.

It's a bit of an escalation but if he is doing this he is most likely a jerk anyway.

Until the user talks to the van guy (or gives a fair reason why not), the OP is making a mountain out of a molehill, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Some social housing leases have a clause saying no commercial vehicles can be parked at the property or on the estate.

Social housing? Don't think so - they have these rules in some managed estates, where there is a management company in charge, and not the council. But not in social housing, where you will have plenty of blue-collar workers and tradesmen with vans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

I managed to catch my neighbour while he was working on the front of his house.

I broached the subject very nicely with a smile on my face and told him how it is creating a blind spot for me getting out of the driveway.

His answer to me was that he needed the space outside his house to carry out work and that he was entitled to park there.

I then informed him that he was technically parked over my driveway in which he didnt believe until i showed him and I told him then to please move it.

Its moved to outside his house. He wasnt impressed mumbling something in his native language which i didnt understand. Anyway, hopefully he will take the hint and stop parking there

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

RainyDay wrote: »
    Social housing? Don't think so - they have these rules in some managed estates, where there is a management company in charge, and not the council. But not in social housing, where you will have plenty of blue-collar workers and tradesmen with vans.

I've seen the leases. (Remember, not all social housing is council-run.)

And yes, it is a problem for trades-workers and others who have similar work vehicles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I've seen the leases. (Remember, not all social housing is council-run.)

And yes, it is a problem for trades-workers and others who have similar work vehicles.

Are you talking about social housing units within a managed development, like this in the Beacon in Dublin?

http://www.dlrcoco.ie/aboutus/councildepartments/corporateservices/communicationsoffice/pressreleases/2011/july2011/34newsocialhousingunitsinsandyford/

Advertisement