Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to fishing

Options
  • 24-06-2015 9:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

Best advice is to join an angling club.You will meet fellow anglers who will give you all the tips and help you need.They will also probably arrange outings where you can watch and learn.As for filleting your catch,there are plenty of videos online!Catch it first!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭MadDog1999

As for the knots check out animated knots.

But in terms of lakes I do not know.Try angling clubs as the above said as I only have experience in kerry and cork.

Tight Lines,
    MadDog1999

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭MadDog1999

Here's the link:

www.animatedknots.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

There is not much fishing in loch Atalia (it's a brackish lake) but loads of other options around Galway. Plenty of angling clubs in Galway to link in with when you arrive. Duffys fishing shop on shop street will give you info. Happy fishing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭BrownTrout

A very good book I think is "River Fly Fishing: The Complete Guide" by the late Peter Lapsely. Goes through the basics quite well and most of the information given is easily transferred onto lakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

you're a lucky man to be moving to galway, even more so if you can drive as you will have more freedom to drive to different areas. You are close to lough corrib, how I love that lake! some proper trout, pike and coarse fish in there, although the coarse fish are hardly ever fished for. You have also some nice sea fishing off the west coast too.

If you want to give corrib a go, I can give you the number of a good guide :)

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭ALANC81

I don't know of any knot tying tools but when it comes to learning how to fish it's probably best to join a club and meet other fisher men who can show you how. It takes years to learn how to fish and there's no book better than experience.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭BrownTrout

RHJ wrote: »
    Whoops, sorry didn't read your post properly, probably wouldn't be great if you were spinning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

There is also plenty of youtube videos to watch - I always stick with totally awesome fishing on youtube (taf)

Some people will not like his style but they fish for fun and have many useful tips.

Have a look online for the places you will fish - then get an idea of the species contained - then go about looking at the methods you want to use when fishing to catch them - As said above your near the corrib so you have pike for instance, you can spin for pike or troll or deadbait - look up those keywords on youtube and you will get 100's of instructional

Like This

This runs through some lures too!

edit - If you do take up on pike Matt Hayes on youtube is the man!

Hope you enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

Hey Lads, Just moved to the Coast with the sea just 10 steps from my front door, as with the OP, I'm a newbie, so any advice on what I need to start with?
    Thanks

Any Idea what you want to fish for? Off the shore or boat?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

ardinn wrote:
    Any Idea what you want to fish for? Off the shore or boat?

Off shore to start.

Well your gonna need a beach caster - and a reel - I would recommend going to your local tackle shop and they should put you right on a beginner combo - Then ask and see what the current popular species are and they can get you rigged up for that to start.

When you start off any catch is a plus - but when you get into it you will find a favourite method and species and head off in that particular direction for a while before exploring more and more aspects of the sport.

I would join an angling club too - and also go to the beach and talk to anglers. We are a friendly bunch :D The locals will tell you whats happening and whats good at the time and where to start.

Again youtube is full of vids on sea angling and again taf have a 9 part series on beginner sea angling.

Advertisement