Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Building and old ps1/ps2 collection

• 24-06-2015 10:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭

Hi guys I've been reading the forum the last while and finally decided now that I have more time on my hands I'm going to rebuild my childhood.

Do you know any good sources to get old ps1/ps2 games or is it just checking adverts/amazon/done deal/ebay for the list?

Also would ye recommend buying the discs or buying downloads (if available) on the one hand id prefer physical copies but I see crash bandicoot on the psn store? Is this a hd remake?

Also I remember the GTA discs had an issue on ps2 where they would freeze if cheats were used too much and pretty much break the game so maybe downloads are better there. Are there other games like this that ye know of?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,889 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you are serious about collecting them get physical copies. Digital copies will only last until the service is pulled.

For PS1 games in particular and most PS2 games if you are really serious about collecting then only buy Japanese and US copies of games. It's the same for digital, only get games from the U.S. and Japanese stores. It requires a bit more investment to mod a console to play these games but in the long run you'll save the money on cheaper import games. The real reason to do this however is that European games run slower than ntsc games and have borders on the top and bottom of the screen that squash the aspect ratio. Most later PS2 games have Netscape 60hz mode but there's also a lot of games that run in the slower PAl 50 ha mode. Also make sure you get proper RGB cables or component for the PS2 for the best possible image quality.

Digital copies of old games are just images of the original games and not hd remakes.

As for GTA cheats breaking games, I think that's just an urban rumour. The PS2 had a terrible quality DVD drive and games with constant streaming of data like GTA would wear the drive down faster leading to games freezing or plain not working.

Advertisement