Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Race Etiquette - Funeral

Options
  • 24-06-2015 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

Been scratching my head on this since the Dungarvan Tri at the weekend (excellent event, well organised and loads of enthusiastic marshalls).

Anyhow, on the bike leg a funeral procession somehow got mixed up with those about half way down the field. On a downhill section I came across what I assumed was a backlog of cars waiting to pass out bikes. As I was going faster than the cars, I overtook a couple before spotting the hearse about 8 cars ahead. At this point my conscience told me it was best to sit up and go with the flow, a few others in front had already done the same from what I could see. We were sat like this for maybe 4-5 mins until we reached the turnaround point.

Not sure what was going on behind me, but one fella came by me - I informed him there was a hearse ahead but he just barrelled on, took about minute out of me by the turnaround.

I'm not too bothered by the time lost, just curious as to what others would have done. Obviously a tough call for some poor marshall to stop a funeral procession for a bike race!

100412.2526@compuserve.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Sounds like a lack of communication to be honest.

Surely someone must have realized there was a church en route and would have known somebody was being buried that day. Holding the start time back by 30 minutes may have allowed the funeral off the road before the bikes started and competitors would have understood the need for the delay.

I know Dungarvan is not a tiny village but it's hardly a sprawling metropolis either.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

One of my usual lunchtime routes goes past a graveyard, numerous times have met a hearse and following cars coming towards me on it's way to it, have always stopped running until past the majority of it

Lost sheep last year we were warned that on the run we were likely to encounter a local funeral that was happening. we were asked to walk past it, can't remember if they officially made it a non overtaking zone

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭vegas elvis

For my sins, I did race director for the Waterford Duathlon when it was held in Fenor for a few years. The transition was in a church car park, part of the pre race check list was ensuring there wasn't a funeral taking place on the morning of the race (to the amusement of the parish priest!)

These type of incidents tend to be fairly suck it and see with races from one year to the next - with every year being a learning experience. We've had to deal with a wedding on the run course and yachts on the swim course in Dunmore East in the last few years. The cruise liner this year was cool though!

I'm sure it will be part of the check list for next years race in Dungarvan once they have their debrief !

IMO you did the decent thing slowing down, the guy you passed either didn't hear you or is a complete tool

Funnily enough I did the race myself and didn't see the funeral, maybe it wasn't on the course for long.

Thought the race was extremely well organised and a credit to Dave and crew from Dungarvan.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 dathai c

Dave, Dungarvan race director here. Thanks for your comments on the event. Regarding the hearse, it was a surprise, and is definitely a learning for us for the future, particularly regarding what the etiquette should be. When I drove the bike route early in the morning I saw a sign for the funeral that day. I made a number of calls to try and find out time/route/number of cars etc. I learned that it would be on the road at about 11am for a short period (crossing from a junction on one side to get to a junction further down the road) and would involve a small amount of vehicles. Checking notices and letting people know this at the competitor briefing is a good suggestion, and will be done in the future.
    This year was our 2nd year of the event and are looking to improve with each edition, the feedback above helps us do that.

Advertisement