Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Testicular Cancer

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

Hi All,
    just a quick post to update where I'm at,
    My 2nd year of surveillance following the chemo is ending with an appointment next month. Year 3 surveillance starts in September and I'll only have to go to the cancer clinic every 3 months for bloods & x ray (instead of every month in year 1 & every 2nd month in year 2)

Everything is going well and there has been no sign of recurrence to date. The 2 year all clear is a big milestone as the vast majority of all recurrences occur within 2 years of surgery/treatment etc. I also had my annual heart check up last week (because of the possible long term effects of chemo) that was all ok.

Life is good at the moment and long may it continue!

Just a reminder to all the guys- check your balls one a month!

Take care ,
    Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

[QUOTE=mark_jmc;103465143

I also had my annual heart check up last week (because of the possible long term effects of chemo) that was all ok.

Take care ,
    Mark[/QUOTE]
    Well Done Mark, Just a quick question. Im 9 years cancer free and have never had a heart check. Is this new does anyone know?

Hi pcuser
    well done on the 9 years cancer free!
    I had a bad reaction to my final session of chemo- erratic ecg etc,
    they sent me to the cardiac dept for an angiogram & other tests but all looked ok.
    Because of this as a precaution the cardiac clinic have me scheduled for an annual heart echo & consultation.

Regards,
    mark

Thanks for the reply Mark. Im glad you are doing much better now well done.

hi Guys,
    just a quick drop in to say that I have received the 2 year all clear. All bloods & x rays fine. I now only have surveillance check ups with bloods & x rays every 3 months in year 3. Crazy how fast time goes by. As you can see from my experience if you have surgery and even chemotherapy for testicular cancer you life can go back to normal in a relatively short period of time.
    Also just a quick reminder to all you guys to check your balls

Well done Mark :)

Given that it is Movember I thought I'd pop in and remind all the guys to have a quick check of your balls!
    Remember testicular cancer is highly highly curable and the earlier it is caught the less problematic any potential treatment will be. So any worries / doubts about lumps etc - go to your GP.

On a side note I completed my 10th full marathon 3 weeks ago in Dublin, I had been stuck on 9 and a combination of a lack of motivation and then cancer had kept me from my 'holy grail' of 10 for a while.

This goes to show that even if you are unlucky and get testicular cancer that you can be back to 'normal' fairly quickly.

Take care
    Mark

Well,
    yesterday marked the 3 year anniversary of my surgery so it prompted me to come here to remind all the guys out there to check your balls!
    Any issues or worries pop to your doctor for peace of mind.

I have been doing a lot of thinking about what I have done since the surgery/chemo etc. It is good reading to remind people that testicular cancer in the vast majority of cases is very straightforward to overcome
    in no particular order since the cancer I :
    • Ran my 10th marathon last October in Dublin
    • Moved back to the home county of Cork after spending 17 years in Limerick
    • Started in my dream job last February- the best paying & most senior of my career to date and what's more- I love it
    • Turning 40 in 2 months time (I'm making this a positive :))
    • Had a great holiday in East coast of America last year with my wife and our friends and their kids
    • Made a bigger effort to try to enjoy life that little bit more

Remember -life goes on after cancer and it can be really good!!

Im in a similar bot to you Mark, In the last 10 years I have

Moved to Kerry.
    Got a better job that I love.
    Started running marathons :)
    Brought the family to FLorida for holidays last year and are bringing them back again this November.

It doesnt take a long time to recover from the chemo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

On a Saturday night about nine years ago, I found a lump on the skin of my scrotum. I freaked out thinking that it was was testicular cancer but through a Google search, I learned that testicular cancer is under the skin, on the testicle itself and not on the skin, like mine was. I was able to calm down after that.

That said, just because Dr Google told me it almost certainly wasn't cancer, I still went to the doctor on Monday morning to get it checked out. The doctor examined me, and she told me it was just a cyst and nothing to worry about. Even though I knew it probably wasn't cancer before going in, I felt a huge sense of relief when she told me that.

There are no stupid questions when it comes to medicine and health. If something is bothering you, testicle related or not, it's worth it to go to the doctor. If it turns out to be nothing, then you've just saved yourself a heap of time spent worrying. If it does turn out to be something, then you've already started on the right path to treating it.

Hi
    Long time since I posted but I have great news- our first child (baby girl) was born last Friday. We were trying to conceive through IVF since before my cancer- we had 9 failed rounds and this was our final go. Needless to say we are over the moon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Great news, congratulations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

mark_jmc wrote: »
    Hi
    Long time since I posted but I have great news- our first child (baby girl) was born last Friday. We were trying to conceive through IVF since before my cancer- we had 9 failed rounds and this was our final go. Needless to say we are over the moon!

I read this thread many years ago. Sorry to hear you both had to go through so much. Delighted to hear the news, wonderful times ahead😠This is making me very happy to tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭babygirlz

Mark that’s is amazing news, I know only too well the struggle to conceive. I am so thrilled for you and I don’t even know you. Enjoy the snuggles with your own princess. Much love to you and your family xx

Advertisement