Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian atm

• 24-06-2015 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

What is limit you can withdraw from the banks. Do they all charge for withdrawal. Will be using boi visa debit card.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

The limit that you can withdraw is set by your own bank.

Depending upon the agreements between BOI and whichever bank's ATM you would use defines the withdrawal charge.

I'd ask BOI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,539 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Be aware that using an Irish card in a foreign machine is an expensive way to get cash. Between the commission, the fx fee and the atm fee, it translates into a high percentage of the cash you draw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Be aware that using an Irish card in a foreign machine is an expensive way to get cash. Between the commission, the fx fee and the atm fee, it translates into a high percentage of the cash you draw.

It usually costs me about €3-4 per €100 withdrawn when I use my Irish card abroad (mostly in Asia).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,539 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Be aware that there are several costs:

Foreign exchange: you may not be getting the best rate.

Foreign exchange charge: Yes, Virginia, as well as building a margin for themselves into the exchange rate they offer, the bank adds an extra fixed charge for changing money.

Your bank's charge: Your bank may charge you for using your ATM card abroad.

Host bank's charge: The bank whose ATM you are using may charge your for using their ATM. In Australia they certainly will. That charge alone will be $2 or $2.50.

Not all of these charges will necessarily be detailed either (a) on the slip you get from the ATM, or (b) on your own bank statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Be aware that there are several costs:

Foreign exchange: you may not be getting the best rate.

Foreign exchange charge: Yes, Virginia, as well as building a margin for themselves into the exchange rate they offer, the bank adds an extra fixed charge for changing money.

Your bank's charge: Your bank may charge you for using your ATM card abroad.

Host bank's charge: The bank whose ATM you are using may charge your for using their ATM. In Australia they certainly will. That charge alone will be $2 or $2.50.

Not all of these charges will necessarily be detailed either (a) on the slip you get from the ATM, or (b) on your own bank statement.

Yeah, even taking that all into account, it usually costs me about €3-4 per €100 withdrawn while abroad.

Some ATM's will ask you if you want to accept their exchange rate (it will be crap) or let your own bank do it (it will be a lot better). IF the ATM doesn't ask, your own bank handles the FX.

Find out what your maximum withdrawal is, in India I can only withdraw €100 worth of rupees (about INR7000) per day, in Dubai it's a lot higher, banks set different rates with different countries.

Whatever the withdrawl limit is, just take that, the more times you use the ATM the more fees you pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

The last time I spoke to BOI, I think it was 200 per day in cash. But you can use your card for unlimited purchases.

Advertisement