Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better to apply for licence for rifle and mod together or separately?

Options
  • 25-06-2015 8:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭

I've heard that it can be better not to apply for a licence for a rifle and mod at the same time, since this can complicate things for the guards, leading to various sorts of unwanted problems.

Now I know that every super is different, and that there's no general across-the-board rule etc., but I'd still be interested to hear people's opinions and experiences on which is the better way to go. Is it best to wait a while after receiving a rifle licence before applying for a moderator, or to apply for both at the same time?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Apply for both together, I would have thought.
    If you apply later for the Mod. It's a new application, same as looking for an additional rifle, and therefore an additional 80 euro.

Unless you know that there is a change of Superintendent imminent in your district?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭lefthooker

Apply for both together. Let it be known that you intend to use a mod as part of your set up. You'll find out quickly whether you need to apply for the mod separately.

The whole mod licensing is a bugbear I have. Honestly I can't see the logic in not being permitted to own a metal tube with machines internals but being permitted to have the firearm. Surely if you fall down on one part of the application the whole application should be reviewed. Unfortunately that would require proper, functioning Firearms laws and dedicated FO's. Ho hum...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Melodeon

lefthooker wrote: »
    The whole mod licensing is a bugbear I have. Honestly I can't see the logic in not being permitted to own a metal tube with machines internals but being permitted to have the firearm. Surely if you fall down on one part of the application the whole application should be reviewed. Unfortunately that would require proper, functioning Firearms laws and dedicated FO's. Ho hum...

Blame Hollywood foley artists :mad:
    Most people who've never heard one used are convinced that a 'silencer' renders a firearm completely silent.
    'Most people', unfortunately, includes pretty much all the people involved in formulating, writing, and implementing firearms legislation.
    They appear to be convinced that the only reason someone might want such a thing must be for some nefarious purpose. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Agree totally. The majority of people in positions of authority, who have responsibility for firearms licensing and policy seem to have as much practical knowledge of the subject as I would have regarding operation of nuclear power station.

And view them in much the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

I don't think there is any truth in this though. Every FO is different, I'd apply at the same time and reduce the paperwork burden to both you and the FO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭Jayzesake

Thanks for the replies so far. Any other experiences or opinions on which is the best way to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭tomtucker81

I applied for my first rifle years ago. Ticked the box for the 'silencer.' The licence arrived with no S on it.
    At that stage i wrote a letter outlining the reasons i had requested it, and requested that the decision on the moderator be reconsidered. I also pointed out that should i be successful i would like my current licence to be amended to have the S on it, rather than a specific licence for the moderator. Saving another €80.

I received a new licence with the S on it a week or so later. The location you are in can be an issue, unfortunately. when i first applied the FO was sound, looked over everything and said it would all be grand. Unfortunately the Superintendent changed in the district and the new one, i was told, would not issue any licence with an S on it. Hence the need for the letter writing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Apply for the Mod at the same time. It's generally of no benefit to apply later. Chances are, imo, actually better if you apply at the same time as it may be passed while processing the firearm application. On it's own it comes under more scrutiny.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭Jayzesake

Cass wrote: »
    Apply for the Mod at the same time. It's generally of no benefit to apply later. Chances are, imo, actually better if you apply at the same time as it may be passed while processing the firearm application. On it's own it comes under more scrutiny.

Thanks Cass

Would you put in a note with the application explaining why you need the mod., or just tick the 'Silencer' box on the form, and then do the explaining if the mod is refused?

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Hunter456

apply for the both your better off i applied for the both and got the silencer granted aswell.

• Advertisement
Advertisement