Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Borrowing more than 3.5 gross income for a mortgage?

Options
  • 25-06-2015 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Quote from the Internet: "You can now only borrow 3.5 times your gross income (ie joint salary of €100,000=mortgage of €350,000), although this limit can be exceeded in about one in every five applications."

Does anybody know what it takes to actually have this limit exceeded??
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

allybabe84 wrote: »
    Quote from the Internet: "You can now only borrow 3.5 times your gross income (ie joint salary of €100,000=mortgage of €350,000), although this limit can be exceeded in about one in every five applications."

Does anybody know what it takes to actually have this limit exceeded??
    Thanks

The banks would look at each case individually, there could be a will in probate with a large sum on its way to someone or they could be waiting on another asset to be sold etc..

People in Jobs with guaranteed increases in salary down the line would also be a reason I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭farrerg

Low loan to values I'd imagine, or young professionals like junior doctors, trainee solicitors or actuaries etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I can confirm that having a high deposit and low LTV will get you higher than 3.5 of salary.

Advertisement